Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
LucyintheOC
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Thanks for the replies. What I wanted to ask is if anyone has read "Knockemstiff" by Donald Ray Pollock and to ask what you thought about it. After reading the author's blurb on the jacket cover, I can't figure what the point of his book was...I mean, why did he write it the way he did? The book was raw, gritting and not flattering as a representation of the types of people who populate places like Knockemstiff....yet on the jacket flap it mentioned that the author grew up in a holler and that his neighbors were good people who always came together to help one another. ...You never would have known it from having read the book. I wonder why? Why didn't he include some of this in the book? I'm glad I read the book, but it's left me a little perplexed.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

LucyintheOC wrote:
Thanks for the replies. What I wanted to ask is if anyone has read "Knockemstiff" by Donald Ray Pollock and to ask what you thought about it. After reading the author's blurb on the jacket cover, I can't figure what the point of his book was...I mean, why did he write it the way he did? The book was raw, gritting and not flattering as a representation of the types of people who populate places like Knockemstiff....yet on the jacket flap it mentioned that the author grew up in a holler and that his neighbors were good people who always came together to help one another. ...You never would have known it from having read the book. I wonder why? Why didn't he include some of this in the book? I'm glad I read the book, but it's left me a little perplexed.

I have not read this book nor was I familiar with Donald Ray Pollock: maybe the NPR url will help.

POTENTIAL SPOILER: (not a spoiler for you Lucy)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89543390

See you in the discussions for Songs for the Missing.

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

FYI: April 23rd at NYC Cornell Club: (for Cornellian members and/or guests)

http://www.cornellclubnyc.com/events.php4

It seems that O'Nan completed graduate work at Cornell and will be doing a reading with discussion afterwards of his previous work. Dinner follows. Details included within url.
Contributor
booser
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody

This is my first go around in any book club. I'm excited to be a part of this. I was wondering if anyone has read The Night Country? It sounds intriguing, and very suspenful. Maybe I can get some feedback?

booser
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Has anyone picked out what they are going to read for May yet?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi Vivian-

I plan to read and discuss Souvenir by Therese Fowler. My mother lived with ALS for eight years. The fact that the main character in this book is diagnosed with ALS struck an emotional chord with me.

Beth

Message Edited by Aunt_Beth_64 on 04-18-2008 01:03 PM

Message Edited by Aunt_Beth_64 on 04-18-2008 01:04 PM
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Hi Vivian,

I'm planning to join the Mystery Club's May reading of Lee Child's Bad Luck & Trouble, one of the latest in the Jack Reacher series. There are 12 so far, and I've read every single one of them. The writing is crystal clear and transparent, it doesn't feel that I'm reading. The author's writing never gets in the way ... you know how sometimes some writing is bloated... too much description or too much verbiage that slows the action down... it gets in between the story and the reader. Lee Child's writing never gets in the way.

Another writer that I'm eager to read is Joyce Carol Oates' The Grave Digger's Daughter.  She is an amazingly prolific writer. Unlike writers like Patterson (Cross, Double Cross) who churn out cottage industries of so-so books, Joyce Carol Oates'  amazing output is always filled with amazing depth and high quality.

Until then, I'll wait for Songs for the Missing to land on my doorstep.

IBIS

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Hi Vivian,

After I read TallGrass for my local book club's May meeting, I'm going to immerse myself in WORLD WITHOUT END - which might be a challenge since I'm going to AK to visit family!

meme1
meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

I am going to finish reading the Temeraire series. I am on book 2 and there is another 2 books. I just need to find time to read them. I have been very busy lately.

HP
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

I will be reading "Belong to   me" and the   '\'Gravediggers daughter in May.'
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

I recently read The Somnambulist for the group this month (good book) and am now reading Last Night at the Lobster. Another book I just finished is The Memory Keeper's Daughter, which was fantastic. There are many others on my TBR list, and I hope to get to some of them before our new book arrives.
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

DonnaS, I absolutely loved The Memory Keeper's Daughter...it was very moving to me...great storyline, that was believable IMO...did you see the Lifetime Movie Specia? I didn't get a chance to...I wonder if it lived up to the book...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

paula_02912 wrote:
DonnaS, I absolutely loved The Memory Keeper's Daughter...it was very moving to me...great storyline, that was believable IMO...did you see the Lifetime Movie Specia? I didn't get a chance to...I wonder if it lived up to the book...

It was a very moving book and I have recommended it to many of my friends. While I haven't seen the movie yet, I did tape it. Now I just need the time to watch it. :smileyvery-happy:  I'm sure that Lifetime will air it again.
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Hey Vivian,  Funny thing, I forgot my user name already! Had to long in several times before I finally got it right. 

Anyway, I'm finishing up The God of Animals - so many loose ends - can't wait to see how they tie up. From there, I borrowed some O'Nan from the library, one of which I just couldn't get into, so I'll try one of the others. I'm interspersing these with The World is Flat.  I am also  putting some books aside for vacation in June.  Do any of you go thru what I do, picking out just the right books - for the right travel destination? For example:  Jane Austin is not going to cut it on the Mayan Riveria!   Maybe I'm just a little nutty :}
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Anyway, I'm finishing up The God of Animals - so many loose ends - can't wait to see how they tie up. From there, I borrowed some O'Nan from the library, one of which I just couldn't get into, so I'll try one of the others. I'm interspersing these with The World is Flat.  I am also  putting some books aside for vacation in June.  Do any of you go thru what I do, picking out just the right books - for the right travel destination? For example:  Jane Austin is not going to cut it on the Mayan Riveria!   Maybe I'm just a little nutty :}

I know what you mean, LyndaSue. Some books are too intense or light for one place but perfect for others. That is why I usually have a few books going at the same time - one at work, one at home, and one or more that fit a particular mood (i.e. biography, reference type). I know where I am in each and don't have to tote them around, although sometimes one gets my attention and goes everywhere with me. lol
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

I have piles and piles of books stacked beside my bed waiting for me to finish writing my term papers (done by May 7, I hope!), but I'm not sure where I'll start. Probably with Snow Angels (I really liked Last Night at the Lobster), and then I might read Geraldine Brooks's People of the Book, or Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall. I also read a lot of murder mysteries.

vivico1 wrote:

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Hey Vivian, Funny thing, I forgot my user name already! Had to long in several times before I finally got it right.
Anyway, I'm finishing up The God of Animals - so many loose ends - can't wait to see how they tie up. From there, I borrowed some O'Nan from the library, one of which I just couldn't get into, so I'll try one of the others. I'm interspersing these with The World is Flat. I am also putting some books aside for vacation in June. Do any of you go thru what I do, picking out just the right books - for the right travel destination? For example: Jane Austin is not going to cut it on the Mayan Riveria! Maybe I'm just a little nutty :}

Lynda, when you finish the God of Animals, let me know what you thought of it. I read it in here when the author was here.

Sounds like you guys have some good ones laid out for May. I wasnt sure about the book I am going to be reading before I got it, Belong to Me. Its the one in here under, oh what is that catagory - new reads? I have read about 75 pages of it and I LOVE IT! The characters are great! And oh man, how I love this main character and how she thinks, she keeps me in stitches. Sounds like it will have some deep parts too tho, so just a good book overall and hey guys, if you look into it, the author will be here all month, and this is one of those author/book clubs I told you some of us always look for in here because the clubs are not as big as these first read ones, (by a long shot) and the author visits all month, talks on the other threads, not just ask the author thread and they really can be some of the best experiences, especially with a good book. This is a good book. I never read any of this authors work before, but this wont be the last if the rest of the book is this good. I hope to see some of you in there in May and, Linda, Ms. Kiakar :smileywink: We picked a good one! I think all 4 of us if we get in there will like this one. Wouldnt be the first time we got to hog an author to ourselves lol, but hopefully some of you others waiting will give it a shot too.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
KxBurns
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
Hi Vivian,

I'm planning to join the Mystery Club's May reading of Lee Child's Bad Luck & Trouble, one of the latest in the Jack Reacher series. There are 12 so far, and I've read every single one of them. The writing is crystal clear and transparent, it doesn't feel that I'm reading. The author's writing never gets in the way ... you know how sometimes some writing is bloated... too much description or too much verbiage that slows the action down... it gets in between the story and the reader. Lee Child's writing never gets in the way.

Another writer that I'm eager to read is Joyce Carol Oates' The Grave Digger's Daughter.  She is an amazingly prolific writer. Unlike writers like Patterson (Cross, Double Cross) who churn out cottage industries of so-so books, Joyce Carol Oates'  amazing output is always filled with amazing depth and high quality.

Until then, I'll wait for Songs for the Missing to land on my doorstep.

IBIS 

Hey IBIS -- I love JCO! I haven't been keeping up with her new work as well as I used to (that would be a full-time job!) but I did read The Gravedigger's Daughter and enjoyed it. For me, the older stuff -- Them, What I Lived For, etc. -- will always be favorites.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I could not agree more!

This First Look does not begin until June, so I encourage you all to dive into some of our May book clubs.

See you all there!

vivico1 wrote: ....Wouldnt be the first time we got to hog an author to ourselves lol, but hopefully some of you others waiting will give it a shot too.

Message Edited by Maria_H on 04-21-2008 10:08 AM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room The Memory Keeper's daughter Movie

The movie cuts some stuff out from the book. Such as the girl the Dr. meets in Pa. when he visits his mom's old house that was staying there. Also I believe the ending was switched around a bit. And also it didn't show alot of the meeting and romance scene with Caroline and the truck driver. But it still was very good and worth a watch.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 250 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: