Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
judycarr
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Ok Readers,

As long as we are talking about books while we wait for Songs for the Missing, I'd like to inquire as to whether anyone has read Fieldwork by Misha Berlinski.  I am looking at it as a possible book group selection and am wondering how it would lend itself to a discussion.  I would love to hear from you if you have read it!  Many Thanks!

Judy
Frequent Contributor
LucyintheOC
0 Kudos

Dear Bentley, thanks for the reply and the link...sorry for the delay in relaying the thanks. I don't know what happened, but a whole week went by without having time to jump online for personal stuff! I know that seems unusual for this day and age, but when downtime is limited, sometimes it's a choice between reading or jumping on the computer for a while. This last week, reading won! :smileyhappy: 

This kind of ties into the question asked about what we are choosing to read during May. I wanted to read Love Walked In before I read Belong to Me (which I've chosen for May), and I was running out of time to get them both in because May is this week!!! By the way, for those that haven't read Love Walked In, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the book and am going to recommend it as a selection to the B&N book group I belong to that meets at once a month at one of the stores near me. It has a lot that can lead to great discussion! ...So, if Belong to Me is anything like Love Walked In, it could make for a very interesting month of discussion.
Frequent Contributor
FrankieD
0 Kudos

Hi Gang...
  I just got back from a trip to St.Thomas...one week of relaxation...and a lot of rum!!! Anyway, I got to read The Names of the Dead and A World Away by Stewart O'Nan while I was there...and enjoyed them both...but definitely related a lot more with "Names" since I was also a medic in the jungles of Vietnam in 1968 - 1969 and his stories were very real for me. In fact, I actually had to stop occasionally because I got a little upset. So, if you are still looking for something to read while you're waiting...then check them out :smileyhappy: you'll enjoy them.

FrankieD :smileyvery-happy:
" The longer I live...the more beautiful life becomes."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room Memory keepers daughter

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:
Vivian, I cannot believe you didn't like this book. It was wonderful in my opinion. I liked the movie but they left a few parts out which if you had read the book you felt if the movie was uncomplete. (I know, get over it)

Kiakar,I read the book and thought the BOOK was incomplete! LOL, so how incomplete could the movie be hehe. good story, lousy lousy writing. And HEY! I would never say "get over it" to you lol. :smileywink: But really, the story about the DAUGHTER would have been much more interesting if she wrote more about her. She should have just titled it the Memory Keeper, cause the daughter doesnt get much time but being refered to. And I have never read a book more all over the place, back and forth, in mid thought, than that book, brrrrr. Hey, remember the ending of The God of Animals? pitiful. But there were some good parts in the book, remember? :smileywink: and you can't say why here either girl. lol

They left out the part about the girl he meets in Pa at the old house where his parents lived. And alot about Caroline and the fellow she met, the truck driver.And the ending was completely different from the book but came out in the same way. If you want to know more I will email you. The movie was 2 hrs long. I think I know what you mean, about not telling alot about Phoebe. Yeah, well that was the complaint from alot of people. But I think it shown it better in the movie.

And the God for animals, I did feel, there was no final word on what happened or what had happened. Like you say, it was uncomplete. And som e parts of  The memory keepers daughter was in a way but yet the ending was final.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

THE TEACHERS LOUNGE

Teachers [or anyone] who wish to talk to each other, about any teacher related topics (or whatever---"what I did on spring break!") can feel free to post in this subject thread. 

The Com. Rm. is an open forum, as is any part of these book groups, and anything and everything may be talked about, but take note: 
All posts are read (behavior is noted) and monitored by B&N. 
Also, these groups are open and read by the World Wide Web...    
If you don't believe me, just Google your user name.
Hold the 'language' down to a dull roar! :smileyvery-happy: 

Kathy S.

Frequent Contributor
PattyJean
0 Kudos

Re: THE TEACHERS LOUNGE

KathyS wrote:
Teachers [or anyone] who wish to talk to each other, about any teacher related topics (or whatever---"what I did on spring break!") can feel free to post in this subject thread.
The Com. Rm. is an open forum, as is any part of these book groups, and anything and everything may be talked about, but take note:
All posts are read (behavior is noted) and monitored by B&N.
Also, these groups are open and read by the World Wide Web...
If you don't believe me, just Google your user name.
Hold the 'language' down to a dull roar! :smileyvery-happy:
Kathy S.

Kathy- thanks for starting the teacher thread! I've taught first, fourth, art - been an elem. librarian (THE BEST!) and am now a technology coordinator for a rural school corporation in Indiana. We have a teacher book club and love reading the suggestions for May on the thread. We read Ireland by Frank Delaney as our March selection, a Janet Evanovich title for April and will meet next week to vote on the summer selection. Our group has a core of about 10 individuals including teachers, instructional assistants and secretaries - but we always open it up to the whole staff by email to see if anyone is interested in the current selection. Works for us.
Frequent Contributor
MJColson
0 Kudos

Re: THE TEACHERS LOUNGE

I'm not so sure that taking over the First Look Community Room is such a good idea. I don't have anything against teachers. I just think this could wind up becoming the "teacher discussion" room rather than the open dialogue for anyone who wants to talk about anything that it was designed to be. It would discourage people from posting.
If you want a thread specifically for teachers, have you asked Maria if she will create one for you?
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Changing the MESSAGE SUBJECT LINE

TO ALL:

These thread topics, in this Com. Room,  can be changed to whatever topic your heart desires.  My creating a thread for the TEACHERS OF THIS GROUP, does not limit other discussion within the Community Room, by any and all participants.  Just click on Karen's original thread, as I have done, and create your own subject you want to discuss.  It will not, I guarantee you, take over this section of this board.  I've never seen just one topic EVER do that.  Too many people, and too many minds! :smileyhappy:

Just delete the topic in your  MESSAGE SUBJECT HEADER, if you want to change the topic, as I've done, and type in whatever you are wanting to talk about.  If you don't care to talk to other teachers, or about relevant subjects pertaining to each other in that thread, then create your own.  This is the beauty of these boards.  It's always best to change the headers, so we KNOW AT A GLANCE, what you want to, and are, talking about.  And address the person to whom you are speaking too.  Prevents confusion.

Kathy S.
Contributor
Sdf1966
0 Kudos

New to First Look

Hi everyone,
I am new to this First Look club and was wondering if anyone can tell me how long it will take to get the book.  I went ahead and ordered "The Circus Fire" written by Stewart O'Nan and I am really hoping I receive it before I leave on a trip next week.  I love reading about real life events and anything that is a mystery.  I am a real big fan of Mary Higgins Clark.  Denice from Piedmont Oklahoma
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: New to First Look

They'll tell you when they start to ship the books, and it can take as long as two weeks to get to some people (based on past experience), but I'm expecting to get mine in late May. But that's just a personal guess based on past experience with First Look clubs. I have no inside knowledge, no special information, so don't hold me to this!

Sdf1966 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am new to this First Look club and was wondering if anyone can tell me how long it will take to get the book. I went ahead and ordered "The Circus Fire" written by Stewart O'Nan and I am really hoping I receive it before I leave on a trip next week. I love reading about real life events and anything that is a mystery. I am a real big fan of Mary Higgins Clark. Denice from Piedmont Oklahoma

0 Kudos

KathyS,
I'm not sure what I said that made you get snotty with me on the other thread. I only had a suggestion that a separate thread be made for you guys. Actually, it would be more convenient for you. You wouldn't have to scroll through everyone else's topics to get to your teacher conversation. I thought it was a good idea and didn't know if you had perhaps asked Maria about it. But if you want to take it as a personal affront, then I'm sorry you feel that way.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Before this goes any further, we will not be creating a new thread for teachers. As this is the community room, you are all free to congregate as you please, as long as you all comply with our user guidelines.

So let's bring this back to what we are reading this summer, what movies we are going to see this weekend, what we are doing for Mothers Day. Or for that matter, the all-important Mothers Day gift, or is it really that important?

Thanks everyone!

MJColson wrote:
KathyS,
I'm not sure what I said that made you get snotty with me on the other thread. I only had a suggestion that a separate thread be made for you guys. Actually, it would be more convenient for you. You wouldn't have to scroll through everyone else's topics to get to your teacher conversation. I thought it was a good idea and didn't know if you had perhaps asked Maria about it. But if you want to take it as a personal affront, then I'm sorry you feel that way.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:
... Or for that matter, the all-important Mothers Day gift, or is it really that important?

For Mother's Day, I've told everyone that I would like gift certificates to Barnes and Noble. I'm so easy.
IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Here's a moral dilemma. Once the children are grown, is a husband still responsible for doing anything for his wife for mother's day, or should he leave it all to the children and if they don't come through, tough?

Understanding up front, of course, that anything husbands do is axiomatically wrong. But I would like to be as little wrong as possible.

IBIS wrote:

Maria_H wrote:
... Or for that matter, the all-important Mothers Day gift, or is it really that important?

For Mother's Day, I've told everyone that I would like gift certificates to Barnes and Noble. I'm so easy.
IBIS

0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
Here's a moral dilemma. Once the children are grown, is a husband still responsible for doing anything for his wife for mother's day, or should he leave it all to the children and if they don't come through, tough?

Understanding up front, of course, that anything husbands do is axiomatically wrong. But I would like to be as little wrong as possible.

What a riot you are!

Where is it written that "anything husbands do is axiomatically wrong"? I've personally known husbands who do at least one thing right per year!

I see Mothers' Day as symbolism of all the various sorts of nurturing that, like a rainbow, arcs over the human condition. Many of us see that rainbow, others do not.

Mothers are not purely biological identities... one's wife does a lot of mothering as well... as do grandmothers, sisters.... it's the symbolism, not the actual person.

Of course, don't send mother's day cards to  women who never gave biological birth... I can see the eyebrows raising and the eyes rolling.

IBIS

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

IBIS wrote:

Maria_H wrote:
... Or for that matter, the all-important Mothers Day gift, or is it really that important?

IBIS

Everyman, Mother's Day does not say YOUR Mother's Day, just Mother's Day. My personal opinion is that you should give a gift, because she is still a mother, and the mother of your children. I give to my daughters-in-law, because they are the mothers of my grandchildren. Thus, give a gift.

I give a Father's Day gift to my husband, even if he is wrong or not. Just cause!

Either way you decide, I hope you have a nice day.
Cathy
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Wal, so far it seems the consensus is pretty clear that I'd better grab that whale by the tail and get out and either make or buy something worthy of the One and Only.

Thanks for the advice!
0 Kudos

HannibalCat wrote:

Everyman wrote:

IBIS wrote:

Maria_H wrote:

IBIS

Everyman, Mother's Day does not say YOUR Mother's Day, just Mother's Day. My personal opinion is that you should give a gift, because she is still a mother, and the mother of your children. I give to my daughters-in-law, because they are the mothers of my grandchildren. Thus, give a gift.

I give a Father's Day gift to my husband, even if he is wrong or not. Just cause!

Either way you decide, I hope you have a nice day.
Cathy

You got it Cathy, heck, I am not a mother so I dont get "mother's day anything", but I just this week got a mother's day card for some of my best friends, women who are mother's, its a day to celebrate motherhood, not mine, or only my mother's but all my friends who are. I even sent some gifts. Hear that Eman? hehe, even gifts! lol. YES you do something for your wife and you know it young man! :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
bmbrennan
0 Kudos

Right now I am reading Jeffey Archer's Prisoner of Birth.  I loved The Last Lecture and Just Who Will You Be, very fast reads.   Will also be reading Audition.  I got a new toy with my tax rebate, I got a Kindle, solves my problems of wanting to read without needing extra space in my home.  It holds over 200 books and they are cheaper than going to bookstores to buy, I download.  :smileyvery-happy:  I am a happy camper right now.
bmbrennan
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. Churchill
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Everyman,
My husband believes that Mother's Day is for the kids to give gifts and he helped them when they were young, however some of them were a new lawnmower and grass plugs so he's not inventive by any stretch of the imagination. But today now that the chicks have all left the nest he lets it up to them, but from him I do get a card and a scratch off from the lottery and since they're my vice and I enjoy them that's all I need from him. Besides he's been the love of my life and supporting my endeavors for thirty years what more could a woman ask for.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 223 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: