Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MJColson
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Maria,
Are we breaking down the book by chapters again, or are we doing a more general discussion by question, etc? Just want to figure out how to plan my reading for when the book comes. Thanks!
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Hi MJ,

Karen will be posting a schedule soon. Thanks for asking!

MJColson wrote:
Maria,
Are we breaking down the book by chapters again, or are we doing a more general discussion by question, etc? Just want to figure out how to plan my reading for when the book comes. Thanks!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

Nitestar wrote:
hi:  Just got my book today!!!!!!!!!!

That's great!  I thought they weren't mailing them out til the week of the 19th.
Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Got my Book!

I got my book a few minutes ago. Looks like Southern California didn't have to wait so long after all! Yay!

Now looking forward to getting the reading schedule and discussing this one with all of you.
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Got my Book! A First!

[ Edited ]

blkeyesuzi wrote:
I got my book a few minutes ago. Looks like Southern California didn't have to wait so long after all! Yay!

Now looking forward to getting the reading schedule and discussing this one with all of you.

Had to edit this post.  I can't believe it, I just now got my book, too!  Yay, So. Ca.!
Happy Reading!
Kathy S. 

Message Edited by KathyS on 05-14-2008 02:08 PM
Frequent Contributor
erina
0 Kudos

Received my book today!

I came home from work to find Songs for the Missing waiting on my front porch.  I can't wait to start reading this. Thanks
Contributor
blondemom74037
0 Kudos

Re: Received my book today!

I got mine this afternoon. I live outside Tulsa. I can't wait for the schedule. I need to get started reading. Thanks for getting me the book so quick.
Judy
*who started a mini-break today!!*
Reader
melindaproza
0 Kudos

I got mine today, too!! I can't wait to get started.
Frequent Contributor
pheath
0 Kudos

Looks like today is the first big wave of deliveries. I got mine too (DFW area). Like everyone else, I can't wait to get started too!
-Philip
Contributor
Amber_R
0 Kudos

I got my book today too. I look forward to getting started:smileyvery-happy:
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I copied this post over from the Welcomes and Introductions Thread where it was initially posted, because the discussion will be better here than there.\\

ZBeanz wrote:
... I welcome the challenge eagerly as a chance to prove myself as an intellectual equal to you all.... Also, Wuthering Heights is, in my humble opinion, the greatest work of literature of the era.

Okay, I'll take you up on your challenge. :smileyhappy:

First, please define the era you're talking about so I'm sure which books you're pitting WH against.

But second, assuming you consider Austen, Dickens, Thackeray, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, and Eliot to be part of the same era as Bronte, please explain how/why you consider WH (1847) to be a greater work of literature than Emma (1816), Vanity Fair (1848), Bleak House (1852), War and Peace (1869), Middlemarch (1872), or Brothers Karamazov (1880), not to mention any other works by these authors. And though I don't consider Trollope or Hardy to be novelists on the level of Dickens, Austen, etc., I would match Trollope's The Way We Live Now, the Barchester novels, and the Palliser novels, and Hardy's The Return of the Native and Tess of the Durbervilles as fair competition for Wuthering Heights.

So I'm quite willing to test your intellectual skills! (Heck, when I was 17 I was every bit as cocky as you are. I truly thought that I understood Plato, Aristotle, Virgil, Sophocles, Euripides, Locke, Hobbes, and even Kant. Ha!) But let's see what we can do here.

It'll be a fine way to pass the time while we're waiting for Songs to arrive.

Oh, by the way, I'm sure that at some point in the discussion we're going to have to specify what the purpose of a novel is so we can tell how well a particular work does nor does not partake of novelistic greatness, so you might be thinking on that point, too.

You're on! :smileyvery-happy:
0 Kudos

Hey there -

I'm delighted to hear some of you have already received your book! Just wanted to let you know that the discussion schedule has been posted here.

Karen
Contributor
kstone6
0 Kudos

Hi,

A question was posted of what people are reading in May.  Well it is may and I still have a stack of books.  I discovered a few new authors that are entertaining.  Right now I am in a mystery thing.  I have been reading the Victorian Mystery series by Robin Paige.  Also I have found a cute book by Nancy Atherton titled Aunt Dimity's Death.  I just started a Dorothy Sayers book Whose Body?  I am kind of weird that most of my books I have to do in order of the series or in the order they were written or published.  You might say it is and OCD thing.  I plan on reading also this month the Twilight series again by Stephenie Meyer.  I am excited for the movie to come out in December.  Anyone else read it.  I read it 2 days.  I just couldn't put it down.  It is a fast and easy read that seems to suck you in. Well have a great day everyone.

Kristen
Frequent Contributor
thefamilymanager
0 Kudos

Wooohoo!  Got my book yesterday.  Since I've hurt my back this is a wonderful surprise.  Can't wait to see all of you on the boards!  Happy Reading.

LMD

- if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with! - Dorothy - Wizard of OZ
Contributor
jmcauliffe
0 Kudos

I got my book today! I am so excited to start reading.
Reader 2
ZBeanz
0 Kudos

First, please define the era you're talking about so I'm sure which books you're pitting WH against.

So I'm quite willing to test your intellectual skills! (Heck, when I was 17 I was every bit as cocky as you are.)

Oh, by the way, I'm sure that at some point in the discussion we're going to have to specify what the purpose of a novel is so we can tell how well a particular work does nor does not partake of novelistic greatness, so you might be thinking on that point, too.

Haha:smileyhappy:
First, I would like to clear up what I said in that post.  I admit that I made a mistake in the way I worded my comment about Wuthering Heights being the greatest novel of the era.  What I meant with the comment was simply that I enjoyed it more than any other novel I have read that is considered a 'classic', even though not all classics are from the same era, of course. 
Perhaps the most obvious comparison for Emily would be Charlotte and Anne.  After all, the three girls practically did their writing at the same time.  Wuthering Heights, too me, offered a much more emotional journey.  I felt completely drawn in by the story, completely enchanted by the powerful emotions.  Much more than when I read, say, The Professor.
Novels have no true, defineable purpose.  If one has to be identified, than it would simply be that they are to entertain, to provide enjoyment for its readers.  Wuthering Heights gave me that.  Not to say that the works of her contemporaries didn't, just that WH gave a more intense enjoyment.  This is simply because of my taste in literature.  I like stories that deal largely with pain and suffering.  The way Bronte presented it to me was much more real than anything I have ever read.  It was the first and only time that I ever felt exactly what I thought the characters were feeling. 
Let me end by saying that I don't wish anyone to think I am cocky at all.  Actually, I think that it is rather strange that I am being called 'cocky' when all I wish is to be considered an 'equal' in my opinions over Songs for the Missing, not better.  By no means am I better than anyone.  I'm sure that there are many many people here that are much more knowledgeable about literature than me.  You would probably be one of them. 
Also, I would like to say that War and Peace bored me greatly.  I thought the story was too broad and there wasn't enough emotional investment in the characters for my liking.  Now please don't take that as me saying that it is a horrible piece of literature, because I don't mean that at all.  I agree that it is a work of literary greatness.  I consider it a top work in my collection.  It just isn't my cup of tea, so to speak.
There are different kinds of novels for different kinds of people.  That is what makes reading them so great.  It truly doesn't matter what books you read or how old/famous they are.  All that is truly important is that you read the books that provide you with the most enjoyment and even teach you things about life and yourself.  Maybe Wuthering Heights isn't your favorite book.  Maybe you loved War and Peace.  As long as you find what you love, than you have succeeded in reading they greatest book you could have read at the time.
Thanks so much for your interest!
Zack
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

ZBeanz wrote:

So I'm quite willing to test your intellectual skills! (Heck, when I was 17 I was every bit as cocky as you are.)

Haha:smileyhappy:
Let me end by saying that I don't wish anyone to think I am cocky at all. Actually, I think that it is rather strange that I am being called 'cocky' when all I wish is to be considered an 'equal' in my opinions over Songs for the Missing, not better. By no means am I better than anyone. I'm sure that there are many many people here that are much more knowledgeable about literature than me. You would probably be one of them.
There are different kinds of novels for different kinds of people. That is what makes reading them so great. It truly doesn't matter what books you read or how old/famous they are. All that is truly important is that you read the books that provide you with the most enjoyment and even teach you things about life and yourself. Maybe Wuthering Heights isn't your favorite book. Maybe you loved War and Peace. As long as you find what you love, than you have succeeded in reading they greatest book you could have read at the time.
Thanks so much for your interest!
Zack

I just read the last two posts of you two, not anything leading up to this but I just want to say, hey, I don't know if your cocky,maybe so, I haven't read anything else you wrote. I do know Eman should know, because he is cocky! hehe OH Eman, you know you are and that I am laughing here. As for being better than anyone or even just equal to everyone, I just have to say one thing, cause I had a friend hurt in one of these clubs by those thinking in these terms and made her feel "less than" because they liked the "classics" and she didn't know them as well, or did some but just loved them for the story, not as some Lit Class test for working on a doctorate of how the words play or are written. She just liked the books and that was enough and it should be. We are not standing in some ethereal line here, where whoever can break down a book the best and is the best theorist wins! Its a book club, we are all equal because we read! We are all equal because we enjoy reading. We are all equal because we enjoy discussing books. My opinion may be different than yours, thats what makes for good discussions. My way of expressing my opinions may be different than yours too and thats what makes it interesting too. Enjoy the books,enjoy the posts, or growl at them lol, but just enjoy having a place to have discussions.
I just wanted to say something, because this whole idea of "being equal" really bothers me and I see people hold back their opinions and thoughts because they think they aren't as valuable then, or that they have nothing to add. Its not true. We are all equal for the reasons I said but for anyone out there feeling their thoughts aren't equal, they are! And I may really really want to hear them, so please share. Through the sharing we learn.
Now you two boys go on with your literary digest or whatever you got going on that you want lol, its ok. As for you Eman, lol, always the debater, but then so am I some times too huh LOL! :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I’m not going to quote your post back in full, Zack, to save space, but a few comments.

I admit that I made a mistake in the way I worded my comment about Wuthering Heights being the greatest novel of the era. What I meant with the comment was simply that I enjoyed it more than any other novel I have read that is considered a 'classic'....

Fair enough. I agree that it is probably also my favorite of the Bronte novels, though you will find quite a few people who will argue vociferously for Jane Eyre. With very many exceptions, but as an overall general rule, I find that JE appeals more to female than to male readers. And I have to say that I consider the Brontes overall inferior to several other English novelists, though that too will get plenty of argument.

Also, I would like to say that War and Peace bored me greatly. I thought the story was too broad and there wasn't enough emotional investment in the characters for my liking.

If I can say this without sounding pretentious or avuncular, I think – certainly I have found for myself, and others have said this also – that different books appeal to people at different stages of their lives and different ages. I hope that when you are forty you will go back and read both Wuthering Heights and War and Peace and see whether your respective views of them have changed. (Its’s also true, by the way, that a book read at twenty and at fifty – at least a book worth reading at both twenty and fifty – is a substantially different book.)

Novels have no true, defineable purpose. If one has to be identified, than it would simply be that they are to entertain, to provide enjoyment for its readers.

I hope that isn’t so. Certainly entertainment is an important aspect of novels (I would say of literature generally), but I think they a good novel is much more than that. There have been many volumes written on exactly what the purpose of literature is, and I think one of the problems is that there isn’t just one purpose, but there are many with different novels emphasizing different purposes, but in all cases I think a novel worth reading expands our world and makes us look at our own lives at least a bit differently. But I’ll leave most of that exegesis to the many who have commented before me, saying only that I do believe quite strongly that novels have very important purposes beyond the act of entertainment and enjoyment.

Message Edited by Everyman on 05-15-2008 05:59 PM
0 Kudos

Got my book today!!!!

kmensing in Michigan
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

I received mine today as well.  From what I have read of O'Nan I already know that I will enjoy this novel.  He has quite a knack for putting me into the story as if I'm walking amongst the characters. 

Also, wanted to mention - great posts Vivian, Everyman and Zachary.  Although, I would never even contemplate joining in your conversation I do find it extremely intriguing.

One other thing Everyman, read your post in welcome and introductions regarding your day reading on the porch.  So, I make a motion that we move our cozy community room with the enormous couch outdoors for the summer and set up on your porch...................and seconds?  I'll bring the mojitos!!!

kmensing wrote:
Got my book today!!!!

kmensing in Michigan

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 803 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: