Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

[ Edited ]
Thanks for your interest in First Look! All spots have been filled!

We are no longer accepting enrollments.

Please remember that these ARCs are first come, first served, so to all those who submitted their information, but have not received a confirmation, please be patient while these last submissions are sorted through.

If you do not get into this one, stay tuned for the next and check out everything else we have to offer in the Book Club!

We are delighted to offer Stewart O'Nan's latest novel as our First Look Book Club selection.

In Songs for the Missing, O'Nan takes us deep into the heartbreak of the Larsen family in the aftermath of their beloved daughter's disappearance. We were greatly moved by this touching and engrossing drama; and are pleased that O'Nan will be available to talk to us about the book in June, months before the book will be published.

You will receive a free advance reading copy and access to the discussion with the author. The ARCs will mail in May and the discussion will begin on June 2, with O'Nan joining us for two weeks beginning on June 16. The book club will be visible to the public, but only those enrolled will be able to post on the board and discuss the book with the author and other readers. Your participation in previous First Look Book Clubs does not automatically grant you access into the next, so everyone who is interested in this book and discussion will have to enroll.

Here is how:

1. Sign in
If you are not signed into your book club account, please go to the book clubs homepage. On the left find the link to Sign In, click on it and sign in. This is important. If you don't sign in, you will not be able to request a book.

If you are not a registered book club user, you can register by clicking on Register in the book clubs homepage. It's easy, and it's free. Be sure to verify your email address to complete the registration process.

2. Submit your information
Now that you are signed into your account, click here. A pop up private message window will appear. (Two things you need to know to be sure that this window appears: Your private message must be enabled -- you can find that in My Personal Profile\Display & Privacy Settings and your computer should allow pop-ups.)

Now that your private message is open, enter the following information into that window, as described below:

Subject --

Your Message --
(your name)
(your mailing address, including zip)
(your daytime telephone number)

Note that this message will be automatically sent to the correct mailbox -- do not insert or replace with additional addresses. We are only accepting registrations there. Do not include any other text in this message and be sure to give us all the information required.

Click "Send Message"

You only need to send this message once. You'll receive confirmation of your enrollment via private message. It may take a few days before this confirmation arrives, so please be patient. Once you get your confirmation, be sure to go to the Welcome thread and introduce yourself!

These ARCs are limited and we will stop taking requests once we run out.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, and for being a part of the Barnes & Noble Book Clubs. If you haven't done so already, please have a look at all our current discussions. There's a lot going on.

Message Edited by Maria_H on 04-08-2008 12:55 PM

Message Edited by Maria_H on 04-26-2008 08:38 PM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
pheath
0 Kudos

Re: Songs for the missing

Gail: You probably want to delete this. Your info should go in a private message to sign up. I'm not sure that you want your full name, address, and phone number out there for everyone to see.
-Philip
Frequent Contributor
Frank_n_beans
0 Kudos

Hi Gail:

I think you have to send your message via the link on the directions website. I'd take your address off of here as anyone can see it! But if you click on the link they give you, you will have a message box that pops up and then you type your address in there and hit send and you should be all set!

F-n-B
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

how do I delet this because I have try.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Thanks Philip and F&B -- I've removed Gail's private information.

Please remember that to enroll you must follow the instructions posted at the top of this thread. Do not post any private information here as it is a public board and anyone can see it.

Thanks!

Reader
sandra_clock
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Maria --

I think she accidentally posted it again as you were deleting the first one. And now there's another one.

Message Edited by sandra_clock on 04-08-2008 10:25 AM
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Thanks Sandra, got that one, too! You guys are keeping me busy!

sandra_clock wrote:
Maria --

I think she accidentally posted it again as you were deleting the first one. And now there's another one.

Message Edited by sandra_clock on 04-08-2008 10:25 AM

Frequent Contributor
READERJANE
0 Kudos

Re: How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

[ Edited ]
Made a misatake here, sorry everyone.

Message Edited by READERJANE on 04-08-2008 01:58 PM
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

You might want to remove your personal info from page...see first message..to request book!
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Hi Maria, nice to see you again...hope to be a part of this one too...see you later...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

pheath wrote:
Gail: You probably want to delete this. Your info should go in a private message to sign up. I'm not sure that you want your full name, address, and phone number out there for everyone to see.

thanks for your advice. i don't know if i am the gail you are referring too. what am i deleting and from where? i don't think i posted anything when your message first appeared but i was, at that time, signed onto a public holiday inn site trying to sign up for first look.
however, at the point when i first saw your message, i had not yet input any info at all. i was working on my battery and the computer was too slow so i had to go in and plug it in, in the hotel lobby in order to sign up!
is it some weird coincidence with two gails trying at the same time?
since i have no idea how this confusion happened if you could clue me in on what i did wrong and how to fix it, i would be forever grateful! if it was me, i created quite a stir and i apologize.
twj
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:

Please remember that to enroll you must follow the instructions posted at the top of this thread. Do not post any private information here as it is a public board and anyone can see it.

Thanks!

there were many messages suddenly appearing about gail posting public information on the website as i was trying to sign up for the june first look. i am trying to figure out if i am that gail and how that might have happened.
i was travelling and using a wireless computer at a holiday inn. i don't think i had keyed in any information when the first message appeared about "gail posting for all the world to see", but it seems too coincidental.
my computer was working on low battery. it was very slow and the mouse was not working properly so perhaps i was accessing the wrong key. i finally went into the hotel and connected to an electrical outlet and signed up without further complication, i hope.
if it was me causing all that trouble i am really sorry for the confusion i created, but, i am grateful for all the concern shown by other members.
could you tell me what private information i actually exposed and where it appeared? was it my name and address?
thanks,
twj
Frequent Contributor
pheath
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

Maria_H wrote:

Thanks!

there were many messages suddenly appearing about gail posting public information on the website as i was trying to sign up for the june first look. i am trying to figure out if i am that gail and how that might have happened.
i was travelling and using a wireless computer at a holiday inn. i don't think i had keyed in any information when the first message appeared about "gail posting for all the world to see", but it seems too coincidental.
my computer was working on low battery. it was very slow and the mouse was not working properly so perhaps i was accessing the wrong key. i finally went into the hotel and connected to an electrical outlet and signed up without further complication, i hope.
if it was me causing all that trouble i am really sorry for the confusion i created, but, i am grateful for all the concern shown by other members.
could you tell me what private information i actually exposed and where it appeared? was it my name and address?
thanks,
twj

It was a different Gail. The messages in question as no longer on the board, but someone else named Gail posted on this thread the information that was supposed to go in a private message to request the book. We were just trying to help her not expose her address and phone number unnecessarily to everyone who could see the board.
-Philip
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

pheath wrote:

It was a different Gail. The messages in question as no longer on the board, but someone else named Gail posted on this thread the information that was supposed to go in a private message to request the book. We were just trying to help her not expose her address and phone number unnecessarily to everyone who could see the board.

thanks for letting me know. it was quite the coincidence since i was on a public unsecured network and we, "both gails" were apparently online at exactly the same time and spelled our names the same way as opposed to gayle, gale or gael etc., as so many of my friends do. the messages kept popping up as soon as i tried to access the site. how often does that happen? this could be one for ripley's!
twj
Frequent Contributor
flyjo9
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Maria. When I signed in, I noticed on the message screen that there was a Send To to [redacted]. I left it on. Hope that I am registered. Thanks. Joan

Edited to remove text.

Message Edited by Maria_H on 04-09-2008 09:55 AM
Reader 2
BookSnob7323
0 Kudos

I'm new to the book club, when can I expect a reply as to wether or not I will be able to parcipitate in Junes' First Look book?
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Hi BookSnob,

It will take a few days from the time you sent your PM to receive a confirmation from hear back from us.

Maria_H wrote:

You'll receive confirmation of your enrollment via private message. It may take a few days before this confirmation arrives, so please be patient.

BookSnob7323 wrote:
I'm new to the book club, when can I expect a reply as to wether or not I will be able to parcipitate in Junes' First Look book?

Frequent Contributor
kanellio65
0 Kudos

Hi, Maria! I was lucky to find First Look Book Club last time and got a copy of The Sisters and made a dream come true of being able to read an ARC of a book. I am a reading addict and was thrilled. I have signed up for Songs for the Missing and did it the afternoon it was announced so hope I get in on this one. I just wondered. I had a cousin staying with me who travels and he wanted to also partake in the club so entered as well last night. He listed my address so I could send it on to him as he isn't in one spot too long. Will that mess up my having a chance to get a copy with two books requested to the same address? I hope not. If it isn't allowed, I hope I at least can get mine and then can read quickly and send my copy on to him at a later date. Will it take long to know if we got in on time?
Thank you, Karen (Kanellio65)
EC
Frequent Contributor
EC
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,
For some reason, I did not get notification of the June First Look Selection for Songs of the Missing. I just happen to see it in the Discussions listings so I did request an ARC copy. Is there anyway to make sure I am still on the list? I don't want to miss out. I really love to read and enjoy reading the discussions people have on them. Thank you so much!
Frequent Contributor
MelissaW
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I just wanted to drop in and say hi.  I registered for this First Look yesterday and am waiting to see if I am in.  This looks like it is going to be a very interesting read.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 187 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: