Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Re: How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

Hi EC,

We posted an alert about this two weeks before (in Community Room and Announcements, as well as in the previous First Look board) so regular users of the book clubs would have seen it.

There is no running list. Every First Look Book Club has its own sign up process so everyone can have an equal chance to get a free arc and then, more importantly, come back to talk to each other and the author.

Welcome back!
Maria

EC wrote:
Hi Maria,
For some reason, I did not get notification of the June First Look Selection for Songs of the Missing. I just happen to see it in the Discussions listings so I did request an ARC copy. Is there anyway to make sure I am still on the list? I don't want to miss out. I really love to read and enjoy reading the discussions people have on them. Thank you so much!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Reader
rspoiledyorkies
0 Kudos

Wonderful. I hope I get chosen. Sounds like a wonderful read. Have a great evening everyone.
New User
rgibson79
0 Kudos

Songs for the Missing

[ Edited ]
i am trying to do as the post says but i keep getting the same page over and over can someone help

Message Edited by rgibson79 on 04-11-2008 08:34 AM
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

Re: Songs for the Missing

just hit click here and a window will open -- fill in the subject -- songs for the missing and your name and address and hit send and it should go thru -- I don't think anyone has heard back yet -- good luck -- 
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

When you click the link, you should get a pop-up to fill in your information. If the page is coming back at you, you have your popups blocked!! You can either go in and allow popups or just hold down your  CTRL key as you click link..and this will allow the popup to come up! hope that helps!
Reader 2
isabellam
0 Kudos

I am having the same trouble when I hit "click here".  Did you ever manage to get in?  I have double checked my privacy settings and my pop-ups, so I don't know why it doesn't open a private message window.
"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

You might also try right-clicking on "click here" - that will bring up a menu with several options.  Choose "open in new window" - that should get around any problems (I have trouble with almost all "new windows" at home because I have the newest IE version with extra security; right-clicking ususally solves that problem).

isabellam wrote:
I am having the same trouble when I hit "click here".  Did you ever manage to get in?  I have double checked my privacy settings and my pop-ups, so I don't know why it doesn't open a private message window.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Mary1234
0 Kudos

Maria,
How do I knopw that I am part of the the first read for SONGS for the MISSING?
Mary
Frequent Contributor
Readingrat
0 Kudos

Should I be worried that my 4/9/08 message requesting to sign up for Songs of the Missing is as yet marked as unread?
Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
0 Kudos

Thank you Maria, I just read the message that said you got my request.  I am impatient already waiting for next month to get here, and have to laugh at that one.  Since I know time goes by so quickly anyway, but it never does when your waiting for the UPS driver to drop off your book.

I was one of the lucky ones that was able to read Poppy Adams "The Sisters", and am so thankful that I can get to read Songs for the Missing now too.  I am an addicted reader and love joining in on the book chats.  I love how we all have such different perspectives when reading the same book.  Thanks again. 
Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Mary1234 wrote:
Maria,
How do I knopw that I am part of the the first read for SONGS for the MISSING?
Mary

A few things:

You have to be sure that your request was sent to the correct mailbox. How do you know it is the correct one? In the first message of this thread, within my instructions, in part 2 to submit your information, there is a link to click here. In the pop up message from that link, the mailbox is already automatically filled in. Your request should only go to that mailbox.

Once your message is sent, it will take several days to receive a confirmation via private message.

To everyone who sent a request to the correct mailbox last week, please wait a few days. We expect to respond to you no later than this week, please do not send your request again.

If you sent your request in this week, please wait a few more days.

If you have received a confirmation, welcome to the First Look Book Club! This is a terrific book that we think you will all enjoy.

When we have gone through all the requests and have sent all the confirmations, we will let you know. At that point, if you have not yet received a confirmation from us, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your cooperation!
Maria

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi Maria

I would like to be considered as one of the people to read Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan. I have my fingers crossed that my name will be picked along with the other names. I am having a problem finding that private window. This is where, from what I can understand, I could write my address and name. Please help me! Where is it?

I might have discovered the window. I'm not sure. I did put my address in a blank.

Thank you,
Grapes

Message Edited by grapes on 04-15-2008 01:40 PM
Grapes
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion - How to apply

[ Edited ]

grapes wrote:
I would like to be considered as one of the people to read Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan. I have my fingered that my name will be picked along with the other names. I am having a problem finding that private window. This is where, from what I can understand, I could write my address and name. Please help me! Where is it?

Thank you,
Grapes

Grapes, do you see the little red folder, to the left of your screen...in which Maria introduced the  URL thread  How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion ?  If you do, click on her topic thread to open it up.  It will give the FULL instructions, with highlighted words, on how to get the PM window open to apply for this discussion. 
I hope this helps.  If not, send a PM to Maria.
Kathy S.

Message Edited by KathyS on 04-15-2008 10:46 AM
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Hi Kathy S,

Thank you for helping me. I will go back and recheck my steps.
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
Mary1234
0 Kudos

I am still wondering if I did this correctly.
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

I feel the same way. I am really confused. Poor Maria, she is trying to help all of us.
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Re: Songs for the missing

Hi Maria,

I did get a box to come up. Your procedure is very easy. Thanks for your help. I feel some relief, I think. I might not get chosen. I can only hope.

Grapes
Grapes
EC
Frequent Contributor
EC
0 Kudos

EC wrote:
Hi Karen,
For some reason, I did not get notification of the June First Look Selection for Songs of the Missing. I just happen to see it in the Discussions listings so I did request an ARC copy. Is there anyway to make sure I am still on the list? I don't want to miss out. I really love to read and enjoy reading the discussions people have on them. Thank you so much!

Hi there, EC - you might want to send Maria a PM about that.

Karen

Hi Maria,
I used to get notification of the First Look Selection by an email message on the BN website. I did not for Songs of the Missing. Is it going to be different now?  Or have I dropped off the email list somehow?
Thanks! Ellen

Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Maria_H,

I tried to follow directions with your help. Thank you. I think my address has gone through in a private box. Now, I hope to be chosen. Grapes

Grapes
New User
LizzyLoo65
0 Kudos

I just enrolled in your club and didnt get a notice either.  I love to read and read everyday.  Problem is when I start a book I enjoy I cant put it down.  Hence headaches.  I hope I am chosen to receive this book.  It sounds like it will be a good one.  I enjoy camping and read on trips too.  I love telling others about a good book and have recomended several to my friends and they have bought them.  I dont belong to any other book club and usually buy my books at Barnes and Nobles.  Liz         zil34c@yahoo.com
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 243 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: