Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Re: How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

Maria_H again thank you for all your help. I think my pop up box came up this time. I am sorry it has taken me so long to catch on. I do have a memory problem. Anyway, I hope it goes through this time. I would enjoy reading this First Look choice. I have my fingers and toes crossed.:smileyhappy:
Grapes
Contributor
Lady_Graeye
0 Kudos

Re: Songs for the missing

Hi Maria! I hope to be apart of this one too! The last one I read the book, got pneumonia, gained a new son-in-law to be, gained some weight and my oldest daughter (at 27) found out she has ovarian cancer (which she has since has surgery and has been given a good outlook,) so as I said I hope to be one of the lucky ones to get to be a part of this one. It looks really good! Lisa G.
"You Can Never Own Too Many Books; It's Just Not Possible!!!"
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Lady_Graeye wrote:
Hi Maria! I hope to be apart of this one too! The last one I read the book, got pneumonia, gained a new son-in-law to be, gained some weight and my oldest daughter (at 27) found out she has ovarian cancer (which she has since has surgery and has been given a good outlook,) so as I said I hope to be one of the lucky ones to get to be a part of this one. It looks really good! Lisa G.

You certainly have been on the bittersweet rollercoaster, haven't you?   You know, life is alot like that. happy reading to us all.
New User
somerton
0 Kudos

I thought I followed the direction that Maria gave but after I signed in no " private message window" opened when I clicked. didn't find anyplace to add my info.

I checked my setting to allow a private message  and turned off my pop-up blocker.

Is there something else I should be doing. I'd really like to join this group. can anyone help me?
Thanks
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Did you click on "click here" in Maria's initial post for this thread?

2. Submit your information
Now that you are signed into your account, click here. A pop up private message window will appear. (Two things you need to know to be sure that this window appears: Your private message must be enabled -- you can find that in My Personal Profile\Display & Privacy Settings and your computer should allow pop-ups.)

If the private message window still won't come up then right-click on "click here" and then select "open in new window" from the menu that appears.  That will open the messenger in a new window and then bypass any pop-blockers that might have escaped detection.  You'll want to right-click in the original post to get the messenger window to open.

somerton wrote:
 I thought I followed the direction that Maria gave but after I signed in no " private message window" opened when I clicked. didn't find anyplace to add my info.

I checked my setting to allow a private message  and turned off my pop-up blocker.

Is there something else I should be doing. I'd really like to join this group. can anyone help me?
Thanks

Message Edited by pedsphleb on 04-22-2008 12:25 PM
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
MARISSAD115
0 Kudos

Yeah I had tried the day before and the box was coming up blank, but today I was able to see the private message pop up and was able to enter my information.

I'm excited to be a part of this!
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Hi Lisa,

Welcome back to First Look! It's nice to have you back with us!

Lady_Graeye wrote:

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
wbarker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thank you Maria - I was able to sign up and send the PM.  I am really excited about the possiblity of participating in this book club!

Happy reading!

Wendi

Message Edited by wbarker on 04-25-2008 12:15 AM
Frequent Contributor
wbarker
0 Kudos

FYI - for those of you having trouble getting the PM popup - make sure you have your computer's popup blocker set to allow popups from the bookclub site of B&N.  I've got the Google toolbar, and had to change it to Ok for Popups on this site!

Cheers - Wendi
New User
qua22y
0 Kudos

I am having troubles getting the messgae sent to claim the free book. Need halp. I went to my e-mail clicked on the verify and none of your instructions seem to work. I can't find the way to send like your instructions say, I keep getting told I need to put in a send to.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Now that you have verified your email, go to the message here.

In this message there is a link to click here. The Send To has already been filled out for you.

If this is not the problem, feel free to send me a private message -- also known as a PM.

qua22y wrote:
I am having troubles getting the messgae sent to claim the free book. Need halp. I went to my e-mail clicked on the verify and none of your instructions seem to work. I can't find the way to send like your instructions say, I keep getting told I need to put in a send to.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

As promised, this is an alert to let you know that everyone who submitted information as of noon today should have now received a confirmation in their private message (PM) box.

If you submitted your info before noon EST today and did not receive this confirmation, please PM me. 

If your submission was sent after noon EST, please wait to receive your confirmation.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Maria_H wrote:
When we have gone through all the requests and have sent all the confirmations, we will let you know. At that point, if you have not yet received a confirmation from us, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your cooperation!
Maria

New User
OtterKim
0 Kudos

I signed up today. Hoping I'm not too late. I have a small book club at work and this will be a great discussion book! Thank you for a great opportunity.
New User
SiggieKatz
0 Kudos

MariaH, this is very cool! I had a problem with your PM link, so I clicked on your name & PM'd you. I hope that is ok. This book looks great and so apprapo (sp?) in today's society.
New User
gothg1rl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Nevermind I used IE and worked just fine. :womanvery-happy:

Message Edited by gothg1rl on 04-26-2008 06:32 PM
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Thanks for your interest in First Look! All spots have been filled!

We are no longer accepting enrollments.

Please remember that these ARCs are first come, first served, so to all those who submitted their information, but have not received a confirmation, please be patient while these last submissions are sorted through.

If you do not get into this one, stay tuned for the next and check out everything else we have to offer in the Book Club!

New User
sslin124
0 Kudos

Hello Maria,
I tried to sign up for the Songs for the Missing and sent a message out.  I'm unsure who to address the message to and thought I sent the message to you.  Could you check the status for me?  Thanks.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Sorry, I cannot accept requests for free ARCs in my PM.

As I mentioned earlier, all spots have now been filled, and we are no longer accepting requests.

As you are all now aware, quantities on these free ARCs are limited and we are allotting the last of them on a first come first served basis.

That said, we still have a few more confirmations to send to those who submitted their requests just before we ran out this past weekend. And we hope to have these confirmations out by end of day tomorrow. So please be patient while we continue to process your requests.

Once all the confirmations have been sent out, I will post an alert to let you know.

Thanks everyone for hanging in there!

Maria

sslin124 wrote:
Hello Maria,
I tried to sign up for the Songs for the Missing and sent a message out. I'm unsure who to address the message to and thought I sent the message to you. Could you check the status for me? Thanks.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

The deed is done!

Everyone who is to be included in this First Look have been sent a confirmation. We hope you enjoy Songs for the Missing and the discussion with Stewart O'Nan!

Maria_H wrote: ...we still have a few more confirmations to send to those who submitted their requests just before we ran out this past weekend. And we hope to have these confirmations out by end of day tomorrow. So please be patient while we continue to process your requests.

Once all the confirmations have been sent out, I will post an alert to let you know.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Maria? - The deed is done? 
Sounds dastardly!  Ha!

Maria_H wrote:
The deed is done!

Everyone who is to be included in this First Look have been sent a confirmation. We hope you enjoy Songs for the Missing and the discussion with Stewart O'Nan!

Maria_H wrote: ...we still have a few more confirmations to send to those who submitted their requests just before we ran out this past weekend. And we hope to have these confirmations out by end of day tomorrow. So please be patient while we continue to process your requests.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 240 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: