Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Journeys

Ed's grim trip to Sandusky; J.P.'s reluctant return to Kingsville; Lindsay's travels to and from Kim's funeral: What do these journeys represent to the development of the individual characters, and to the story as a whole?

Do they take on greater significance in light of the fact that Kim's own tragic and fateful journey remains, ultimately, unknowable to those left behind?

-Karen
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Journeys

I think everyone in the book made some sort of pilgrimage for Kim and I liked every character in the book (in fact Kim was my least favorite character). Some of the characters simply searched for her while others the ones closest to her went far beyond and devoted a big part of their lives that summer and fall to either find her or find out what happened to her. And by following these individual characters on their "journeys" they found more about themselves their strengths and weaknesses and how they either overcame them or gave into them.

Ed showed us as well as Fran, to do whatever it takes no matter how hard it is. And unlike a lot of you I think these two ended up stronger in their relationship by enduring it together.
JP and Nina showed us that even though it might bring trouble to their doors they spoke up (finally) and told the whole truth and in the end found each other.
Lindsay was young and greatly under appreciated and over protected and in spite of Kim's disappearance and the turmoil of the family unit she became and independent young woman.
New User
Veruca74
0 Kudos

I agree with Debbie.

Ed and Fran definitely wound up knowing each other better because of this tragedy (as horrible as it may seem).

Lindsey's journey, I think, was finding herself. Learning who she is outside of her sister's shadow.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

And, learning who she is within or despite her sister's shadow. I believe that one possible interpretation of the comment on the first page. (See Lindsay thread for more discussion if interested.) Such learning can be an early or a late aspect of any grieving process -- the shadow may never go away but, trite as the saying is, life goes on. And the healthy process may not be to deny the shadow, but to recognize it and its implications, and live anyway.

Veruca74 wrote:
I agree with Debbie.

Ed and Fran definitely wound up knowing each other better because of this tragedy (as horrible as it may seem).

Lindsey's journey, I think, was finding herself. Learning who she is outside of her sister's shadow.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

I think that is a wonderful analysis of the characters in this book. I agree with you about their pilgrimages and about learning about themselves and growing as people and in their relationships.  I did feel some emptiness at the very end of the book - but I do think that they will "go on" just as life will and continue to evolve.
Reader 2
Carolyn228
0 Kudos

Sorry I'm so late in getting in on this. I was finishing school, and then on a lengthy trip overseas, where I had the opportunity to complete Songs for the Missing on plane rides.... I was particularly intrigued with the personal journey each of the characters in the book takes, and where it took them. It appeared to me at times that events that seemed to weaken Ed's spirit at the same time were bolstering Fran's. She obviously came into her own and almost flourished as she led campaigns to protect and save missing children while they searched for Kim, while Ed preferred to stay on the sidelines or actively search for her himself. At times I feared she'd leave Ed behind, and I sensed he felt that way,too. I think they drew on one another's inner strength to get through it, and when one was lost, they were helped along by the other, resulting in what I thought was a stronger relationship at the end of the story. As was stated, I think Lindsay did learn more about herself both as Kim's sister, and when she left for college, as her own person. She struggled for so long to break away from the family's protective shell, and for her, college seemed to have been her salvation. While she came to realize that she would always be Kim's sister, she could also be so much more, with her own gifts and talents to share. I thought this story as a whole was a brilliant study of human emotions and relationships, and how they're affected by personal tragedy.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 81 members 711 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: