Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

News, Schedules & Updates

[ Edited ]
Welcome to the fourth installment of the First Look Book Club!

We're thrilled to announce that our June discussion will feature Stewart O'Nan's Songs for the Missing. Participants in the First Look Book Club will receive a free advance reading copy, plus the exclusive opportunity to discuss the book with O'Nan and other readers.

If you have not enrolled, go to this thread for all the details. Quantities are limited, so sign up today.

When you receive your enrollment confirmation by PM, go to Karen’s Welcome thread and be sure to introduce yourself to your fellow readers and First Look readers.

The ARCs will be mailed in May, but for those of you who can’t wait to get the book, you can find an excerpt here.

So you know what to expect, Karen will be posting an outline of the discussion at a later date. Be sure to check this thread often to stay up-to-date on news about this club.

We’re thrilled to share this book with you and hope you enjoy the discussion!

Message Edited by Maria_H on 04-08-2008 12:16 PM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Re: News, Schedules & Updates

Some confirmations have gone out today. If you submitted a request this week and did not yet receive a confirmation, don't worry! They have not all been sent. We expect those to go out next week. Until then, enjoy getting to know one another, grab a copy of Stewart's earlier books, and see what is happening elsewhere in the Book Clubs!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Thanks for your interest in First Look! All spots have been filled!

We are no longer accepting enrollments.

Please remember that these ARCs are first come, first served, so to all those who submitted their information, but have not received a confirmation, please be patient while these last submissions are sorted through.

If you do not get into this one, stay tuned for the next and check out everything else we have to offer in the Book Club!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

The books will start shipping soon, expect to receive them around the 19th.

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Discussion Schedule

Hi everyone,

I've given a great deal of thought to structuring this discussion in a way that will satisfy both those who like to read and discuss in increments and those who prefer to read the whole book and then discuss. As a result, I'll be posting discussion threads for specific sections of the book in three phases (Early Chapters, Middle Chapters, Final Chapters) as I have seen on other boards; simultaneously, I'll post other character- or theme-specific threads that encompass the whole book.

The schedule will be as follows:

June 2nd
-Early Chapters (Chapter 1 Description of the Person When Last Seen through Chapter 13 Stop, Look, & Listen)
-Fran
-Ed
-Kingsville/Small-Town Life
-The Search
-Hope

June 9th
-Middle Chapters (Chapter 14 The Motorist's Prayer through Chapter 24 Halftime Entertainment)
-Nina
-J.P.
-The River
-Narrative Structure
**Stewart's editor will join us to field your questions starting June 9th

June 16th
-Final Chapters (Chapter 25 Wish List through the end)
-Lindsay
-Kim
-Journeys
-Resolution
-Favorite Passages
**Stewart O'Nan will be here starting June 16th to discuss the book with us!

As you can see, some of these topics sound vague -- I don't want to give too much away for those who prefer to read at a slower pace. To be clear, spoiler warnings/etiquette will only be in effect on the three threads discussing specific chapter groupings (Early, Middle, and Final). On all other boards, the whole book is fair game (unless otherwise noted) so you may want to stear clear of these boards until you've read the book in its entirety.

Happy reading! Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Memorial Day holiday, and I'll see you here on June 2nd  :smileyhappy:

Your moderator,
Karen

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Since you are all starting to get your books, I am now going to restrict postings only to those who are signed up for this particular edition of First Look. If you are having trouble posting to this board, please PM me.

Thanks!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 212 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: