Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Nina (Potential Spoiler)

KxBurns wrote:

bentley wrote:

All she wanted was for the Larsens to acknowledge that she (Nina), Elise and JP loved Kim and would have done anything to have her back. Ed saw them as just kids and would have forgiven them; but for Fran it was all just too impossible.

I wonder if Fran just could not stand that the three of them were alive and standing before her and her daughter was not. Nina did withhold information but in the final analysis; this information would have not brought Kim back or saved her from her fate.
Agreed -- I do understand why Fran would react the way she did, and I especially like your reasoning as to what her rationale might have been. But I admired Ed's ability to forgive.

I felt so bad for Nina because not only did she lose her best friend, but through her ostracism by the family, she also lost part of her identity as Kim's best friend since the family would no longer acknowledge her as such.

Thank you Karen for your insights on the last two posts. I grew to like Ed for the same reason as well as his loving patience.
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Re: Nina

lavender wrote:
I think Nina is Kim's closest friend, yes. At least as far as relationships in high school go, especially when people know they'll be going their separate ways to college, etc., in a few weeks. Kim told her most of her secrets, they spent a vast majority of their time together. Their dialogue seems like normal high school BFF material to me.

I'd have to agree with this.  They were close but were talking high school and no one tells everything.
Contributor
CountessCat
0 Kudos

I did not like Kim's friend Nina at all, and really questioned Kim's judgement in choosing her as a close friend.  She came off as trashy and untrustworthy to me. 
Contributor
Elmerfletch
0 Kudos

I HATED how she withheld what could have been important information (and we don't know - maybe it was crucial) out of self-interest... and then called the tip line with the information... but couldn't "fess up" in front of the others in order to not be seen as a narc.  I don't know - maybe she was afraid of Wozniak's revenge.  Still, I thought she was a cold selfish person... until the end. 

I LOVED how she evolved into a studious person who could open up to others.  Maybe not fully, but more so than in that first summer.  She somehow seemed to come into her own and discover who she was - and liked her.
Contributor
Elmerfletch
0 Kudos

but isn't this the kind of "logic" that parents torture themselves with all the time?  Very very valid and realistic.
Contributor
Elmerfletch
0 Kudos

It was implied that either Kim ran out of gas or that she tried to help someone who pretended to run out of gas.  If she had run out of gas, you'd think she'd have used her cell phone first, so I think that the latter theory is more likely - that she tried to help someone else (and that person is the one who killed her).  I think that is why her parents looked for and noted that there was no gas gallon container in her car - as if either she "should" have had one or that the pretender would have had one with him.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Elmerfletch wrote:
but isn't this the kind of "logic" that parents torture themselves with all the time?  Very very valid and realistic.

I did on many occasions, kids don't come with manuals and teenagers are especially difficult.
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

I am not sure who knows Kim best.  It's not JP as she didn't let him get that close.  Not her parents for the obvious reasons or her younger sister for that matter.  Elise seems like a secondary 'best friend' so that leaves Nina.  All along I have thought that she knew more than she shared with the family and the cops...

Kim and Nina were friends for a long time - but in recent months perhaps this character Wooze knows her best.  The pictures of Kim that were found in his house proved that much more was going on between  them - yet we never seem to learn the specifics.

Nina seems like a good friend that is torn between doing the right thing for Kim and hurting her other friends.  This is one of the reasons why I don't think she's told them everything - perhaps revealing the entire 'secret' would get them all into more trouble.

It almost seems as if Nina knows where Kim is - that she in fact ran off - but the rest of the story and characters don't support that theory.  I just wish Nina would come clean.

Susan
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 26 members 320 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: