Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone!

As we come to the close of this discussion, we’d like to thank Stewart O’Nan for joining our conversation and for his thoughtful – and thought-provoking – comments. Thanks to Josh for shedding some light into his editing process, and to Viking for making the ARCs available.

Thanks to Karen for her terrific moderation in this installment of First Look and to all the readers for their generous contributions to this conversation.

Look for the book on the shelves at your bookstore this fall!

And thanks!
Maria

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Author
Stewart_ONan
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks everyone!

Maria_H wrote:
As we come to the close of this discussion, we’d like to thank Stewart O’Nan for joining our conversation and for his thoughtful – and thought-provoking – comments. Thanks to Josh for shedding some light into his editing process, and to Viking for making the ARCs available.

Thanks to Karen for her terrific moderation in this installment of First Look and to all the readers for their generous contributions to this conversation.

And thanks!
Maria

Thanks, Maria, and thanks to Karen, Josh, Glenn Timony, Sonya Cheuse and everyone who helped put this together. 

Now, maybe it's just me, but does that picture of me at the top of the page make me look like Ben from "Lost" or what?

Learn more about Songs for the Missing.

Discover all Stewart O'Nan titles.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Ben from Lost, scary!:smileysurprised:

I want to add my thanks to all, especially Stewart, Karen, and Maria. 

I loved Songs for the Missing and cannot wait to read more of your books. 
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stewart_ONan wrote:
>
Now, maybe it's just me, but does that picture of me at the top of the page make me look like Ben from "Lost" or what?

Well, is your hairline receding quite a bit, or did B&N crop your crop at the top of this club picture. hehe. :smileywink:

In this picture, you kind of remind me of Data from Star Trek.....with a receding hairline. :smileyvery-happy: Now I will have to look up other pics of you. Men are lucky, they can be very handsome even with a receding hairline. UNLESS they do comb overs. Ok, don't even get me started, lol but you did start it.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

They have all been fantastic. A superb First Look discussion.

And while you're thanking, don't neglect to thank Barnes and Noble for making this forum available and bringing us all together.

Maria_H wrote:

And thanks!
Maria

0 Kudos

And thanks!
Maria

Well Done!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I also want to add my thanks here to all of the above mentioned. I treasure the First Look experience and all the conversations that come from each one.
A special thanks to Mr. O'Nan who I thought went above and beyond for reading all of our comments and taking the time to answer each one. The book was great and I will sing it's praises to all who will listen.
EC
Frequent Contributor
EC
0 Kudos

I want to thank everyone too.
After reading some of the discussions, I read the book again because I had missed so much in the first reading. I thoroughly enjoy the First Look Book Club and look forward to the next!
Thanks again!
Frequent Contributor
nhawkinsII
0 Kudos

Thank you for introducing me to Stewart O Nan...my compliments on this book club selection.  I will be looking for other O Nan novels in my future reading selections.   
Author
Stewart_ONan
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Stewart_ONan wrote:
>

Well, is your hairline receding quite a bit, or did B&N crop your crop at the top of this club picture. hehe. :smileywink:

In this picture, you kind of remind me of Data from Star Trek.....with a receding hairline. :smileyvery-happy: Now I will have to look up other pics of you. Men are lucky, they can be very handsome even with a receding hairline. UNLESS they do comb overs. Ok, don't even get me started, lol but you did start it.

data or ben--tough choice.  can i get a little nicolas cage in there too (speaking of receding)?

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stewart_ONan wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Stewart_ONan wrote:
>

data or ben--tough choice. can i get a little nicolas cage in there too (speaking of receding)?

MAN, a friend and I were just talking about Nicolas Cage's hair at a movie this week, in a promo. What is with his hair anyway??? yes it is receding but in a strange way or, i was trying to look close but it was a fast promo lol, is he shaving his sideburns back to his receding hairline??? I mean, its like someone in one of the action flicks hit him so hard, all of his hair, sideburns, sides, forehead, all slid to the top or back of his head! He is getting bizarre looking! Noo, you do not look like Nicolas, thank heavens lol. And I dont think Data has a receding hairline, its just who I thought of from the picture on this page lol. If we gave your skin a gold tint, well hmmm, could be. :smileywink: And I did look you up on your site, not bad Stewart. lol. There was one pic of you about half way down in the page of pictures that I thought, wow, now that would be an awesome book jacket picture!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Many thanks to all of you - Maria, Stewart, Viking, Karen, my fellow readers and B&N. It was a great discussion with many great catches and thoughts, with many days seeming to explode on the board. I look forward to our next discussion together.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Author
Stewart_ONan
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Stewart_ONan wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Stewart_ONan wrote:
>

data or ben--tough choice. can i get a little nicolas cage in there too (speaking of receding)?

MAN, a friend and I were just talking about Nicolas Cage's hair at a movie this week, in a promo. What is with his hair anyway??? yes it is receding but in a strange way or, i was trying to look close but it was a fast promo lol, is he shaving his sideburns back to his receding hairline??? I mean, its like someone in one of the action flicks hit him so hard, all of his hair, sideburns, sides, forehead, all slid to the top or back of his head! He is getting bizarre looking! Noo, you do not look like Nicolas, thank heavens lol. And I dont think Data has a receding hairline, its just who I thought of from the picture on this page lol. If we gave your skin a gold tint, well hmmm, could be. :smileywink: And I did look you up on your site, not bad Stewart. lol. There was one pic of you about half way down in the page of pictures that I thought, wow, now that would be an awesome book jacket picture!

yeah, where'd those sideburns go?  he's looking weirder all the time.

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:

And thanks!
Maria

I second all of the above, and thanks to you, too, Maria for all your hard work. This has been a wonderful round of First Look and I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

As always, I am grateful for the enthusiasm of our readers! And a special thanks to Stewart O'Nan for so tirelessly and thoughtfully addressing our questions and comments.

Hope to see you all in the next First Look!
Best,
Karen
Author
Stewart_ONan
0 Kudos

KxBurns wrote:

Maria_H wrote:

And thanks!
Maria

I second all of the above, and thanks to you, too, Maria for all your hard work. This has been a wonderful round of First Look and I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

As always, I am grateful for the enthusiasm of our readers! And a special thanks to Stewart O'Nan for so tirelessly and thoughtfully addressing our questions and comments.

Hope to see you all in the next First Look!
Best,
Karen

Karen and Maria,

Thank you both so much for tending to the boards and all the various threads.  An outstanding job.  I had a lot of fun discussing the book.  My thanks to the readers out there who took part--excellent comments from all.  Maybe I'll see you on tour in November.  For folks who want to keep tabs on me, please check for updates at www.stewart-onan.com
I'm gone like Enron.

Please support your public library!

Stewart O'Nan

Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Thank you both, Maria and Karen, for allowing us the opportunity to participate in this forum. I wasn't around as much as I would have liked, but I really enjoyed both the book and the discussions that I took part in for this First Look book...I really enjoyed the book, and have already recommended it to some people...See everyone next time...I won't be around in July or August, so maybe I will be able to take part in the First Look Book after August, Sept/Oct maybe...thanks again...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
bmbrennan
0 Kudos

Thank you Maria, Karen, Josh and Stewart O'Nan this was a great experience for me and I would lie to thank each and everyone of you for your time and effort with this endeavor.  This was my third experience with the First Look Club and as the saying goes third times the charm, this was my favorite of the ones I have read so far.  Thanks Again for your hard work.
bmbrennan
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. Churchill
MLS
Frequent Contributor
MLS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I would like to add my thank you to all who worked to provide this excellent book and discussion to those of us reading and clicking away at home.  Although I have not been a part of the discussion for this ...I did read the book early in June. I have been reading the threads along the way ...theyhave given me a much better reading experience.  I especially appreciate the author's replys and comments.  This would have been the best ARC yet because it was so manageable but I had many other commitments.  I noticed there was no community room and I thought that was a good choice..not so many opportunities for those who want to complain about everything!  I look forward to another chance to participate in this First Look group in the future.  Thankyou!  Mary

Message Edited by MLS on 06-29-2008 03:33 PM
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

MLS wrote:
I would like to add my thank you to all who worked to provide this excellent book and discussion to those of us reading and clicking away at home.  Although I have not been a part of the discussion for this ...I did read the book early in June. I have been reading the threads along the way ...theyhave given me a much better reading experience.  I especially appreciate the author's replys and comments.  This would have been the best ARC yet because it was so manageable but I had many other commitments.  I noticed there was no community room and I thought that was a good choice..not so many opportunities for those who want to complain about everything!  I look forward to another chance to participate in this First Look group in the future.  Thankyou!  Mary

Message Edited by MLS on 06-29-2008 03:33 PM

So Sorry I am late saying my goodbyes but I was away for a few days.  Thanks to Barnes and Noble for allowing me to read this wonderful book. I did love the book even though I did expect more emotional drama from it, it was so well written I have to forgive that which was alittle negative in my way of thinking.

Thank to Maria and Karen. You do a mighty fine job doing your job.

To the Audience , thank you so very much. Everyone's comments were so wonderful and generous.

To the Author, last but certainly not least. I enjoyed this book so much. I am thankful I got to read it.
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Many thanks to all of you - Maria, Stewart, Viking, Karen, my fellow readers and B&N. It was a great discussion with many great catches and thoughts, with many days seeming to explode on the board. I look forward to our next discussion together.

Ditto from me. A special thanks to B & N - the First Look Book Clubs have been great and with each one I learn something. Thanks to all!
CAG
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 291 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: