Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
MARISSAD115
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

I received my book a couple days ago and can't put it down!! I am excited to start discussing the book and seeing other's prespectives!!!
Contributor
Opusquest
0 Kudos

I'm almost done with the book-it is an excellent read, have had a hard time putting it down.  I feel entirely in tune with the way the author writes.

Very sad topic though. Scary.
New User
dloj
0 Kudos

This is my first time reading a First Look book.  I love to read and when I received the book "Songs for the Missing" it was such a treat.  I had to force myself to stop reading at times.  I am looking forward to the discussion. 

Diane
Contributor
brezi
0 Kudos

Me too, Diane! I just finished the book today and had a hard time putting it down. :smileyhappy:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

My book was waiting for me when I returned from three wks of vacation roaming the highways of five states. I was much ready to come home and with the book here waiting on me, it made me happy to be home.
Reader 2
chrisd108
0 Kudos

I can't wait to get started on this book. I got my book early last week but have not been able to read it yet.  I an looking forward to the discussion.
Contributor
KiimC_8741
0 Kudos

I too am getting readiy to start the book - I recevied it awhile back but I was finishing up The Husband by Koontz. Last time I finished early and was afraid to post too much as not to spoil it for the others so this time I made myself wait to start it. Look forward to reading it .... see y'all soon on the message boards :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
flyjo9
0 Kudos

Good Heavens!  Looks like I will have a lot to catch up on!  I started reading but had other readings to finish so put it down.  I hope our schedule will be posted so I can see what I need to do to participate.  I will be out from the 7th to the 15th, so will lose a bit, but that is the price of a much needed vacation  LOL  Joan
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Joan - Karen posted a schedule in the schedule's thread. I went looking for it and copied it off to a Word file to post and put on my refrigerator this past week. That thread isn't terribly long, so you should be able to find it readily.

Have a great vacation. Maybe you will sign on from an Internet Cafe somewhere? LOL

Pepper

flyjo9 wrote:
Good Heavens! Looks like I will have a lot to catch up on! I started reading but had other readings to finish so put it down. I hope our schedule will be posted so I can see what I need to do to participate. I will be out from the 7th to the 15th, so will lose a bit, but that is the price of a much needed vacation LOL Joan

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
READERJANE
0 Kudos

I wasn't familiar with any of his other works. This book gave me a new prospective on people and families who go missing. The author drew the characters with a great deal of feeling. I wonder how he was when he finished writing the book because I was emotionally drained after reading it. Jane
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

READERJANE wrote:
I wonder how he was when he finished writing the book because I was emotionally drained after reading it. Jane

Jane,
I know what you mean, I was too. I imagine that the author probably felt as if he had actually gone through events himself. Jo
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Great question -- you'll have the chance to ask Stewart when he joins us on June 16!

Jo6353 wrote:

READERJANE wrote:
I wonder how he was when he finished writing the book because I was emotionally drained after reading it. Jane

Jane,
I know what you mean, I was too. I imagine that the author probably felt as if he had actually gone through events himself. Jo

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Reader
AuntJudy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This book was a real page-turner! [edited by the moderator] All in all I certainly enjoyed this book and will be looking for others by Stewart O'Nan. Thank you to Barnes & Noble for this opportunity.

Message Edited by KxBurns on 06-03-2008 01:35 PM
Frequent Contributor
nbmars
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
[edited by the moderator]

Message Edited by KxBurns on 06-03-2008 01:35 PM
Frequent Contributor
READERJANE
0 Kudos

You know it really made me think about th horror of abduction on a very different way, I am looking forward to hearing from the author
KxBurns
0 Kudos

Note from the moderator: As has been mentioned repeatedly, these general threads are not a venue for your reviews/thoughts about the book, the plot, the characters, etc.. There will be a thread for reviews at a later date; for now, there are many other threads open for discussion of the book. I would like this particular thread to remain a place where people can come to read an excerpt without finding out additional plot details.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Karen

Frequent Contributor
shelley727
0 Kudos

Hello,
I have started Songs for the Missing and I am really enjoying it.  I am having a hard time putting it down also.   It's a tough subject, but  I can't help get into the characters and this small town.  I wonder if it was hard subject for Mr. O'Nan to write about?  I am drained each time I stop reading, but I'm still curious about the characters & find myself thinking about them when I'm not reading. 
This is my first time to read books by this author, but not my last. 

Shelley  
Shelley
Reader 2
lovesagoodbook
0 Kudos

I just finished reading Songs for the Missing and I really enjoyed it.  I also have never read any of Stewart O'Nan's other books. I am looking forward to reading more of his books in the future.:smileyvery-happy:
New User
missmmeoftheday
0 Kudos

I can't put it down... it's a great read... really moves well and has kept me interested...
Reader 2
nanc50
0 Kudos

Finally got it 2 weeks ago and go into system today have read it cried at times this is a good book well written even though i have not saw any by this author before.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 439 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: