Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bookhunter
0 Kudos

Re: The River

Water has always been a peaceful force in my life.  I love a babbling brook (bought this house because of one!) and a pond with plants and wildlife.

But a lot of the water in the book was dangerous locations, to me.  Jumping off rocks into water of varying depths, jumping from a TRAIN TRESTLE!  The cover picture with the rocks and the bit of rapids made me think the story might include a drowinging.

As far as Karen's observation about Ed's "still water" lake...When you look at the photos, this is no pond.  It is a lake with an endless horizon.  So that may not be as still and stagnant as it could be.

I, too, love the scene when Fran and Ed go fishing.  Even in the coming rain they brave the elements to forge ahead and catch some fish!  I liked that little metaphor of their marraige struggles.

Ann, bookhunter
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

I missed any symbolism that the water may have represented (and I teach a baptism class where I'm always discussing the symbolism of water.) Looking back now, maybe the her time at the river being cut short symbolizes that her life is to be cut short also. Jo
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Both Kim and her father use the water as an escape of sorts. Kim goes to the river to hang out with her friends-----a sort of escaping from adult eyes and job responsibilities. Ed takes to the water to fish to soothe the pain of losing his daughter. Fran goes out on the water with Ed to try to reclaim a part of Ed. I really admire Fran for doing this.
Librarian
Frequent Contributor
bookhunter
0 Kudos

Librarian wrote:
Both Kim and her father use the water as an escape of sorts. Kim goes to the river to hang out with her friends-----a sort of escaping from adult eyes and job responsibilities. Ed takes to the water to fish to soothe the pain of losing his daughter. Fran goes out on the water with Ed to try to reclaim a part of Ed. I really admire Fran for doing this.
Librarian

I like this observation because I recognize that it is true for me, too!  when I go down to our creek the sound of running water drowns out sounds of the house, the kids,....  (The same is true for me of getting in the shower.  I have to admit I fail at water conservation on hectic days!)

Another book where water plays an important symbolic role is Life of Pi.

Ann, bookhunter
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

That excerpt is one of the great ways the author gets us into and involved in the story.  The description along with the involvement of the more intimate senses (touch, smell) put me right there at the river with everyone.

Water is a soothing thing - walking along the lake (Michigan) when I need to think or make a decision is always helpful.  Water is also a fun thing for recreation.  So it makes sense that they spend most of their free days down at the river hanging out and swimming...

JP goes on the search along the river - perhaps thinking that is the most logical place they would find her.

Nina also goes to the river when she is back for Thanksgiving - perhaps that is the place she can feel Kim the strongest - a place where they shared lots of fun times and discussions.

Susan
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 255 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: