Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Welcomes and Introductions

[ Edited ]
Hi everyone, and welcome to the First Look book club for Stewart O'Nan's Songs for the Missing. I'm Karen, your moderator, and I'm thrilled to be back for another First Look!

Why don't you all use this space to introduce yourselves and get to know each other?

Message Edited by KxBurns on 04-08-2008 11:33 AM
Contributor
Brach12
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hi I'm Brenda, just signed up for another First Look Book Club, really enjoy reading everyone's opinions of the book.  Looking forward to this again.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'm Debbie from Portage Des Sioux (near St. Louis) and I've just sent my message so I hope I'll be a part of this First Look for June if so it will be my forth time to participate.
I'm so glad that Karen and Maria will be with us again, Hi guys, they do a super job with this book club.
I have read the synopsis and I can't wait to get my reply that I'm in. This book looks fabulous.

Message Edited by dhaupt on 04-08-2008 01:50 PM

Message Edited by dhaupt on 04-08-2008 01:51 PM
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

I sent my request at 1:03, so hopefully I'll receive a copy. 

I'm Amanda, mother to two wee children and I love to read, both for myself and to them.

I've been a part of the last three first look clubs and they are so much fun. I usually get lost in the discussion after the first three chapters and fear posting, afraid I will say something already touched on in a later post.  (I think for this one, I'm just going to get over it and post my thoughts!)  However, I enjoy reading all the posts and chatting about the books and hope to see some familiar and new faces here this time!

Cheers,
Amanda
Contributor
gdawson
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Gwen.  I, too, just signed up, and I really hope to get in.  I can't wait for the discussion to start.  I really enjoy Stewart O'Nan's writing.
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Hi everyone. My name is Mike and I hope to be included in this discussion. It sounds like it is going to be a good one.
Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Contributor
nperrin
0 Kudos

Hello all, I'm Nicole and after reading the excerpt I really, really hope I made it in time--I've already been sucked into the story. I participated in the last two First Looks, though I'm a little shy about posting too much, but reading and discussing can be so interesting.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Liz - an avid reader.  I've just sent my PM and hope to get selected for this First Look Club.  I'm looking forward to reading Songs for the Missing because the story sounds intriguing and O'Nan's writing is interesting, real, and compelling.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Contributor
Broomgirl
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Angela.  I missed out on The Sister, but am really looking forward to reading Songs for the Missing.  I love First Look because it's introducing me to new authors. 
Frequent Contributor
pheath
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Philip, and this will be my second First Look with The Sister being the first one. I enjoyed the discussions a lot, and I'm looking forward to another good read and dialog with the online group.
-Philip
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

No need to be afraid. Your opinion and comments are welcome here!

Amanda-Louise wrote:
I sent my request at 1:03, so hopefully I'll receive a copy.
I'm Amanda, mother to two wee children and I love to read, both for myself and to them.
I've been a part of the last three first look clubs and they are so much fun. I usually get lost in the discussion after the first three chapters and fear posting, afraid I will say something already touched on in a later post. (I think for this one, I'm just going to get over it and post my thoughts!) However, I enjoy reading all the posts and chatting about the books and hope to see some familiar and new faces here this time!
Cheers,
Amanda

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KxBurns wrote:
Hi everyone, and welcome to the First Look book club for Stewart O'Nan's Songs for the Missing. I'm Karen, your moderator, and I'm thrilled to be back for another First Look!

Why don't you all use this space to introduce yourselves and get to know each other?

Message Edited by KxBurns on 04-08-2008 11:33 AM

Hi: I am Cheryl and really looking forward to another First Look book. I just signed up and hope to get in. I have not read anything by Stewart O'Nan but the except of Songs for the Missing was terrific and had my interest from the very beginning. Thank you B & N for another opportunity to read a First Look book.

Message Edited by CAG on 04-08-2008 10:16 AM
CAG
Reader
sandra_clock
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Sandy. New to First Look, but really hope to get in on this one as I LOVE Stewart O'Nan (being a fellow Faithful Red Sox fan and all).
Contributor
KathleenAnne
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Kathy from MA and I'm looking forward to this book and discussion.
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

Just sent my PM to get a copy of "Songs for the Missing"! Looks like a great book to read and I can't wait to get started! (except we will have to wait unit June! haha).
I am in southern Missouri and LOVE LOVE LOVE books!! This will be my 3rd First Look book and I love this experience of reading the comments of others about the books and getting in to good conversation about the book read!

So, lets get our favorite reading chair and drink ready for another great BOOK!

Allie
Contributor
petitefleur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi my name is Cindy and I am really looking forward to this. This will be my second First Look book. My first was The House at Riverton.

Message Edited by petitefleur on 04-08-2008 01:22 PM
Contributor
coavalanche12
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I have participated in the last two First Look discussions and am excited to read the next book! My name is Susan and I am from Kansas!

Message Edited by coavalanche12 on 04-08-2008 12:23 PM
Frequent Contributor
CathieS
0 Kudos

Hi,
    I'm Cathie and I'm also from Massachusetts.  Thank you B & N for another great opportunity.  I'm looking forward to Songs for the Missing and I hope I get in.  I love to read and the choices for the First Look have been wonderful.

Thanks again,
Cathie
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
GO KANSAS JAYHAWKS!!!  Men BB won last night!!

coavalanche12 wrote:
I have participated in the last two First Look discussions and am excited to read the next book! My name is Susan and I am from Kansas!

Message Edited by coavalanche12 on 04-08-2008 12:23 PM

Message Edited by AllieK on 04-08-2008 12:27 PM
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,
I'm also Cathy from Massachusetts. Interesting assortment of Cathy's. I love to read and really enjoy the interaction in the First Look group. There is so much to contemplate - the postings, the book, the reactions of fellow readers. I just love this book club.

See you all on line.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 218 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: