Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hi Cathie - Nice to " meet "you. Hope you're getting some spring up there now as we will be driving up in about a month. I have to add to my rock collection since there are no rocks in Fl. Weird thing to miss, but what can I say? These book clubs are terriffic.
Kaye

CathieS wrote:
Hi Momgee,
   I'm from the Fall River area.  Just a stones throw away from the South Shore.

Cathie

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Correspondent
detailmuse
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I'm in Chicago and just discovered Stewart O'Nan last year with Last Night at the Lobster -- it's excellent, with a complex and sympathetic protagonist; I still think of the snowy day of the novella. So I'm thrilled with this selection and hope I get in.
Frequent Contributor
GnANorman
0 Kudos

Hi all!

So looking forward to this book club!  Ours takes the summer off and this book sounds wonderful!  Wish I didn't have to wait until June!

New User
beachlovr08
0 Kudos

Hey everyone!  I'm Danielle from Virginia Beach, VA, and I'm a newbie to the book club.  I am very much hoping to receive a copy of the book, as it looks to be very interesting!
New User
mdjohnmd
0 Kudos

Hello

I am Monique. I am 37 years old, and NC native, and reside in Durham, NC.

I just signed up today so hope (fingers crossed) that I get in.

This is the 1st FIRST LOOK GROUP iIve signed up for and I just noticed that I share a birthday with the author, February 4th. How intriguing.

Contributor
Brach12
0 Kudos

Hi CathieS

I'm also from the Fall River area!
Brenda
KxBurns
0 Kudos

Hi guys! It's great to see so many familiar names, and welcome to all our new First Look members!

I think you'll all really enjoy the book -- for those of you who are not familiar with his work, I have to tell you that O'Nan is a fantastic writer.

And, please, don't let intimidation prevent you from participating in the book discussion. Just jump right in and you'll be fine! Or shoot me a PM (private message) and maybe I can help you get started.

Karen

3M
Contributor
3M
0 Kudos

I really enjoy this club because I think the posts by the authors are so fascinating. I'm hoping to get this one as well!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Hey Frankie, could you try to be a little more enthusiastic about your retirement?!  :smileywink:  Good for you - You go girl!

FrankieD wrote:
Hi Karen...
  Well...I just sent my name in for the club and already I'm looking forward to the book. I've actually just finished reading the last book in my "pile" and was going to create a new one soon...so this will be good...I'll be ready in June...and I'm also getting to retire in June as well...YAHOO !!!!  Now I'll have more time for reading:smileyvery-happy:...cool!!! 
                                                                                 FrankieD :smileyhappy: 

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Hey Frankie, could you try to be a little more enthusiastic about your retirement?! :smileywink: Good for you - You go girl!

FrankieD wrote:
Hi Karen...
Well...I just sent my name in for the club and already I'm looking forward to the book. I've actually just finished reading the last book in my "pile" and was going to create a new one soon...so this will be good...I'll be ready in June...and I'm also getting to retire in June as well...YAHOO !!!! Now I'll have more time for reading:smileyvery-happy:...cool!!!
FrankieD :smileyhappy:

LOL! I agree something like a WHOO HOOO!!! or a YEEEE HAW!!! should be in order. Yelling, screaming, dancing on tables..... you know, something subtle like that. That's what I'd do. :-) Congrats!!!!!
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Frequent Contributor
erina
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I am from Chicago and participated in the last First Look program for The Sister.  I hope I am selected for this one as it sounds like a very interesting read.
Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

Retirement is worth all the positive accolades you can imagine. Good for you, Frankie. --- I, too, think the excerpt sounds really intriguing and hope I receive a copy to read. I'm in WI and not anticipating the snow that is forecast for the next two days. I want spring - flowers, baby birds, sunshine!
meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
LucyintheOC
0 Kudos

Hi. My name is Lucy. This will be my third book club discussion, but my first First Look. I hope that I signed up in time to be included as a participant, but I'll just have to wait and see! My first book club venture was the March's discussion of O'Nan's "Last Night at the Lobster" which I just loved! I liked the way he writes and how he tells the story. So when I saw that June's First Look was going to an O'Nan book, I jumped right on the chance to sign up. IMy plan was/is to read more of his work anyway...so what better way to launch in that direction than by being a part of First Look in June!
Contributor
hcwhitman
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Holly and this is the fourth First Look club book I've signed up for. I hope I made it in time! I love reading pre-published books, flaws and all. There is something so special about a brand new book! Looking forward to this work!

I live in Southeast Arizona, near the Mexican border....
MLS
Frequent Contributor
MLS
0 Kudos

I can't believe that is 3 in the morning and I am on the internet signing up for a bookclub!  It must be old age ...I completely lost track of the dates this week and missed the 1:00 pm on 4-8 sign up beginning time.  I woke up and realized the date....turned on my very ssslllooowww dial up and have now finished signing up. I hope I am not too late!  You know this is crazy and I am not usually that way but the book clubs are so stimulating to my lethargic brain.  I really want to do it again.  Happy reading.   Mary 

Frequent Contributor
MJColson
0 Kudos

Hi all! Mindy from Belvidere, IL.
I was in the First Look for The Sister and just couldn't seem to get into the discussion. But that may be because I really didn't enjoy the book.
I'm REALLY looking forward to this one. I love O'Nan.
It's such a wierd coincidence. I just came across my copy of Faithful as I was doing some spring cleaning this last weekend.
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Hi group,

It is not all that late here in AZ - we don't 'do' daylight savings - so I'm not really staying up past 3 am just to say hello to everyone :-)     I was going to wait until I was confirmed as a recipient before I jumped on this thread, but may as well add my name - JoAnn - to the list.   This will be my third FL experience and I found myself really sucked into the earlier ones.   You just have to check in every day to see what everyone's saying.  

I'm curious to see how they will pace this novel for us.  Going chapter by chapter in 'The Sister' seemed too slow and encouraged an awful lot of speculation and navel-gazing about details that would have become more clear if we'd just read on a bit more.   I think I like it better to just go with the flow of the book and see what's revealed in due time.  

I'm really excited that we're going to be reading an established author this time, and one who writes so well.  It's such a privilege - to say nothing of exciting and fun! - to have a chance to ask questions and interact during the week the author is here online with us.   This book club is such a great service to us avid readers, I just have to say 'thanks' again to B&N for making it possible. 

Talk to y'all in June.

Frequent Contributor
mrsvaljones
0 Kudos

Hello to everyone. I'm Valerie Jones dedicated single mother of two wonderful little boys. I am located in Southern California in Murrieta! I finally got myself in gear and am enrolled in school. I was part of the last two book clubs so hopefully I can be a part of this one as well. I think reading would have to be my most treasured hobby. It seems to be my only place of escape from the real world. All my problems and stresses magically disappear as I turn the pages of book after book. My favorite part of the book clubs I have been involved with is the different perceptions and opinions of others. I am fascinated by what others think- everyones opinions become my treasure and I feel I learn so much. Thanks to everyone who is involved!
Valerie Jones
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams..." -Dr. Seuss
Contributor
LillyAndLola
0 Kudos

I can't stand waiting to hear whether I'll get a copy . . . Has anyone received a confirmation yet? 
Frequent Contributor
msclapp223
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jessi and I am new to the book club.  I am a visual art teacher from NC and a new mom of a beautiful baby girl.  I'm very excited to be participating in the club.  I have been a book worm so to speak my whole life it seems and to have the opportunity to talk to other like minded individuals is a wonderful thing.  I am very excited to be here.  Thanks for having me!

Best,

Jessi Clapp    :smileytongue:
Jessi )0(
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 826 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: