Frequent Contributor
niknak13
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hello!  I'm Nikki and I'm from Illinois.  I just received the confirmation that I'll be receiving a copy of Songs For The Missing.  This is my second First Look participation and my second Book Club, so I'm pretty new to all of this.  I'm very excited about reading the novel and I hope to make some thoughtful contributions to the discussion.
EC
Frequent Contributor
EC
0 Kudos

Hi! I am so excited! I just received my confirmation that Songs for the Missing will be shipped out to me next month. Can't wait to read and discuss!
Inspired Contributor
Linda10
0 Kudos

Oh, boy!  I just got my "yellow envelope" too!  I'm so happy, I'm crying!  Hope everyone else gets their notification too!  Can't wait to start discussing with you all in June!

Reader 4
Brianna
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi Everyone,

I am excited to learn that I will be participating in June's First Look Book Club! This is my first time participating.  A little about me: My name is Brianna; I live in Fort Lauderdale; I am an attorney; I am married; and I am 27 years-old. As an undergraduate at Florida State, I was a lit major. Since then, I haven't had the opportunity to engage with others in book discussions, so I am really looking forward to June! I look forward to meeting everyone else participating.

- Brianna

Message Edited by Brianna on 04-11-2008 01:18 PM
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

Woohoo! Just got my confirmation too!! Should be a great read!! Great way to start the weekend! :smileytongue: 
Contributor
Countrygirl
0 Kudos

I got my PM today to.  I am excited about this book and hearing what others think.
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Bonnie and just got the good news I'm in another first look group

This will be my third and probably the one most interesting to me- and the most emotional to get through. I have 3 kids, my 2 sons are grown and out of the house, my youngest daughter is a senior and the same age as the girl who goes missing in this story.

I'm looking forward to the read and discussion.
Reader
peacenbeaches
0 Kudos

Hello! I feel back in love with reading while my hubby and I were stationed in Japan and I took the train everywhere.  We have since moved back to the states and live in GA and I read when I get time since I have a 5 year old in the house who is starting to read and loves to be read to so this will be nice to be able to talk to other readers about books.  Thanks
Frequent Contributor
nmccarthy
0 Kudos

I just received my confirmation for the June First Look Book Club.

My name is Nancy and I live in Central Texas. I have two wonderful teenagers, so "Songs for the Missing" will certainly hit close to home for me. I participated in "The Sister" First Look Book Club, and I also purchased and read "The Monsters of Templeton" after it was released.

I just finished reading "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch and I am now moving on to "The Philosopher's Apprentice" by James Morrow. I look forward to our upcoming discussions.

Thank you Barnes & Noble for the opportunity to be a part of this book group.
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

The yellow envelope has arrived! Yay! I am looking forward to sharing with all of you.

For now, I'll be looking into another book club until this one starts. I'll see all of you when this one begins! See you in June!
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Alrighty, I got my response PM so I am IN! I'm from Iowa, other details are in my bio (click on my username).

I'm a reader-mod so I'm going to do a shameless plug for "Literature by Women" which is the group I moderate here at BNBC.  We are currently voting on our titles for June through September.  If you'd like to participate or see what everyone is voting for, on the "All Book Clubs" page scroll down and click on "Literature by Women" - the voting thread is titled "VOTING: Selections for June through September" (click here to go directly to the thread) and has all the information about voting, etc.  Send votes to me by PM if you're interested.  Right now the group is reading Toni Morrison's Beloved and in May we will read George Sand's The Black City. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by pedsphleb on 04-11-2008 12:32 PM
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Reader 2
victoria101073
0 Kudos

Hi Hi
 I am jumping up and down, I just got my pm and i can't wait. I hope everyone is having a great Friday. Hugs Victoria from arkansas
Contributor
LillyAndLola
0 Kudos

Whooo-hoooo!  I'm in!  Now I can focus on my job again!  Just have to decide whether I want to approach this new book as a Stewart O'Nan "virgin" or if I'll read some of his other works first.  Any opinions?
Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

Hi Karen,

I'm back. I love First Look and all the discussions, you do a terrific job! I'm very much looking forward to this book. It sounds a little different from the previous selections. Can't wait to get started!!

Nancy
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I think I jumped the gun a bit. I already wrote a greeting but was  just confirmed for the book. I just knew they couldn't leave me out! ha. This is the greatest thing Barnes and Noble has ever done that I know of. I know they send you coupons once in a while but a free book every couple months is a super wonderful thing to do.
Linda
Frequent Contributor
erina
0 Kudos

I just received confirmation that I'm in, yay! 

Luvs2read, I am also from Chicago.  This is the second First Look I will be participating in.  I can't wait to receive this one, it sounds great! 
Frequent Contributor
SweetReaderMA
0 Kudos

Hi, I am Kristen. I just got my confirmation that I will be a part of this First Look and I am excited. It will be my second one. I was a part of the discussion on The Sister and enjoyed reading about the many perceptions about the book. I am 29 and from Lowell, Massachusetts. I work as a toddler teacher in a daycare center and love to read on my own as well as to the children I work with.
These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves. From each of them goes out its own voice... and just as the touch of a button on our set will fill the room with music, so by taking down one of these volumes and opening it, one can call into range the voice of a man far distant in time and space, and hear him speaking to us, mind to mind, heart to heart. ~Gilbert Highet
Frequent Contributor
Jaelin
0 Kudos

I have been accepted.  I can't wait to share this book with all of you.  I participated in the last First Look and I enjoyed it greatly.  I can only hope that this one will be as exciting.

J
Jessee
That is a good book which is opened with expectation and closed in profit.
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:
do you know if there are any underground book clubs in other places? according to the website, it exists only in rhode island.

zwieback wrote:
Hi Maria,

The Underground Book Club has a website where you are told what the next book is and if you are intrigued you can read it and then if you are interested in discussing it you email the director. If there is still space for you at that point then you are in for that meeting and you get a message the day before telling you what the location will be.

When you get to the meeting you may see a couple of familiar faces but there are always some fresh ones as well, which is what makes it interesting. You also end up visiting different spots around the state that you may never have ventured to otherwise.

I've made it to several meetings, two of which were attended by the author of the book being discussed. Those were both sensational in their own unique ways.

be careful what you click on, on that site. I found that too after the talk about it and clicked around on the Rhode Island site and something pop up came up, even tho I have popup blockers and when I tried to close it, it tried to run anyway and my BitDefender caught it right then and flagged me it was a VIRUS trying to get into my computer! If you do not have a good AntiVirus program and that pop up comes, your in trouble cause It won't let you just hit the X to close it or cancel, anything you click will set it in action. BE CAREFUL folks!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
VibRata60
0 Kudos

I everyone, I'm Dean from Huntington Beach California, I just sent my PM and sure hope I get in.  This will be my 2nd  time to participate.  I love reading what everyone has written.  My motto is " too many books too little time".  Right now I'm  reading World Without End.  The excerpt of this book really got me hooked.  Look forward to our discussions.

Dean
Vibby
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:12 members 233 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: