Reader
nicolemosco
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hello everyone,

My name is Nicole (I think I'm at least the second Nicole so far!). I live outside of Pittsburgh, PA, and I am an English professor. This will be my second "First Look" book club. (The first was The Sister.) I look forward to the new book and the subsequent discussions!
Contributor
LillyAndLola
0 Kudos

Just been skimming through the postings . . . I did decide not to read any of O'Nan's other books before I start on Songs for the Missing.  So I have plunged into Water for Elephants.  Generally, I read a lot of British detective fiction, British historical fiction, memoirs, and classics.  This program is taking me in a whole new direction, and my "new" reading list has now extended off the edge of the page!  I read The Sister, then picked up the Monsters of Templeton.  I enjoyed both so much that I started to explore other titles from book club reading lists.  I read Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas, and really didn't want it to end.  I plan to read more of her work, but right now I'm going to concentrate on catching up with different authors and then later go back and read their bodies of work.  I also read the Nature of Monsters by Claire Cook but I didn't like that at all . . . even though technically it is Bristish historical fiction!  I hear the Great Stink is much better.   I'm really enjoying Water for Elephants, and next on my list is Peony in Love.  (I read Snowflower and the Secret Fan last year and then gave it to lots of people for Christmas.)  I also want to re-read Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer sometime within the next few months.  Whew!  I better get off the computer and back to the stacks!  Can't wait to start discussing Songs for the Missing with all of you!
Contributor
monsoonnana
0 Kudos

Hi,
I'm Lana from West Chester, PA and I am looking forward to Songs for the Missing! . This is my second First Look and I am glad that I found this site at B & N.
Lana
Monsoonnana
Reader
Nursepeach
0 Kudos

Hello,
I was looking at this site tonight and signed up in hopes that I would be chosen to participate in this book read/discussion. Sounds like a very interesting book. I love mysteries. My name is Brenda and I am in southern Wisconsin.
Contributor
Plumberswife
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Deb and I am thrilled to be joining this group. I am an "older" woman working fulltime and going to college. I have been married almost thirty years and have a daughter, two cats and a dog, as well as a mother-in-law at our home. I have lots of reading interests, I enjoy quilting and antiquing. Again, I am thrilled to join you all!
Best wishes...
Plmbrswife
dhaupt
0 Kudos

EbonyAngel wrote:
Hi everyone.  I got my PM so I'm in this one, this will be my 3rd.  I've lived in North St. Louis County for 30 yrs and have "grown people" who visit my house :womanvery-happy:  I've enjoyed reading and discussing the books and look forward to this one also.

Hi EbonyAngel,
It's Debbie your neighbor in St. Charles, great to see you here again!!
Contributor
lrusch
0 Kudos

I am looking forward to reading this book; it sounds intriguing.

Helen
Contributor
lady1226
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Marilyn.  I am so excited to be joing the club.
KxBurns
0 Kudos

EC wrote:
Hi Karen,
For some reason, I did not get notification of the June First Look Selection for Songs of the Missing. I just happen to see it in the Discussions listings so I did request an ARC copy. Is there anyway to make sure I am still on the list? I don't want to miss out. I really love to read and enjoy reading the discussions people have on them. Thank you so much!

Hi there, EC - you might want to send Maria a PM about that.

Karen
Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

Got my yellow envelope this morning:womanwink:.... YAY!!!!!!!!
Contributor
ctcablegirl
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

I'm Karen from CT.  This will be my 3rd First Look.  I didn't get in for House at Riverton but I did get the book at the library and enjoyed it.

I did not read The Memory Keeper's Daughter but watched it Saturday night.  I thought the acting was flat and I never got emotionally involved with the characters.

I would love to hear from others that watched the movie.

Thank you Barnes and Noble for another First Look book and book club.  I hope you know how much we all appreciate this opportunity.
Contributor
ctcablegirl
0 Kudos

Hi Paula,

I live in Fairfield.

Karen
Contributor
chickletta
0 Kudos

Woo hoo!!!! Got the yellow envelope this morning. I'm a bookworm living in Maryland, and can't wait to read this book and get in on the discussion.

My book review/discussion policy is that I will try and not read up about the author/book prior to reading the book so I'm not biased in any way. Obviously that's going to be difficult with authors you've read before. Does anyone else follow the same?

Anyhoo, hope to see yall around,
Chickletta
Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

Wooohooo....got the yellow envelope this morning. I am Gayle from Colorado and this will be my third First Look and am especially looking forward to this one. 
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

renhair wrote:
Hey BookSavage....I went to college in Canyon (back when it was WTSU!!).  How is good ol' Amarillo?

BookSavage wrote:
I got my confirmation.  Glad to be in for my second first look book club.  I am a high school journalism teacher from Amarillo Texas.  Look forward to reading this book and everyones comments about this book.

Amarillo is good.  Growing all the time.  Where are you now?  How long has it been since you have been back.
Go Cubs Go!
Contributor
tawnyaz
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Tawnya from Pennsylvania. This is my 3rd First Look. This is such a wonderful opportunity to read quality literature and discuss the books.

Thanks so much for this bookclub.
Contributor
ladydi22
0 Kudos

Hi Gayle!

Where do you live?  I'm down south here in Highlands Ranch.  Looking forward to talking with you here.

Diana
Contributor
Twink
0 Kudos

Yay!! I just checked and I will be getting a copy and participating in June's club. I work at a library and love to discuss what I'm reading with my regular patrons. See you in June!!

Twink:smileywink:
Reader 2
refuel360
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Jason, and this will be my first "First Look" experience. Sadly, I missed the prime sign-up days for both The Sister and The Monsters of Templeton. I'm looking forward to the upcoming discussion, and Songs for the Missing. I'm sure they will both be great!  
Frequent Contributor
SweetReaderMA
0 Kudos

The center I work at is located in Lowell, Massachusetts not Longmeadow...sorry.

Kristen
These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves. From each of them goes out its own voice... and just as the touch of a button on our set will fill the room with music, so by taking down one of these volumes and opening it, one can call into range the voice of a man far distant in time and space, and hear him speaking to us, mind to mind, heart to heart. ~Gilbert Highet
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:51 members 464 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: