Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
reina10
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hi,

My name is Reina. This is my first book club. I'm excited to have been chosen to participate. This will be the first time I join an online book club. I think it's a wonderful idea. With a full-time job and a family, I can't attend a regular book club- my time is limited. I look forward to our discussion.
Reina
Contributor
Demira
0 Kudos

Hi:  I am very exciting to be picked for this reading group.  Quick intro:  avid reader of contemporary mysteries and thrillers, mother of 4 children and 3 big dogs, full time prosecutor in Cental Illinois, and a very beginning photographer.   
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

: | gives :smileyindifferent: (which is good for a "blank" smilie)

Everyman wrote:
You can do the smiley faces, or at least some of them, with keyboard codes.

For example, : ) (without the space between them) gives :smileyhappy:

; ) gives :smileywink:

: o gives :smileysurprised:

: D gives :smileyvery-happy:

There may be others, too, but those are the main ones I use when the spirit moves me.

dhaupt wrote:
Thanks Everyman,
Also there's no balloon if your on Safari, but you can click the quote box so I guess that means us Mac users don't get to sign with little smiley faces. Boo Hoo

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
soling
0 Kudos

Hi everyone:  I just joined the First Book Club and received my confirmation email.  I am really excited to be a part of this book club. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
sile
0 Kudos

This "new poster" thanks you!  I know I will figure out everything eventually, but tips are great.

Lesa

DebsScott wrote:
Hi y'all.  I would like to suggest a little hint here that would be helpful to both readers and posters:  When you are replying to someone's specific post, click on the "reply" on that specific post and when you come to the reply screen just hit that little white balloon in the tool box (next to the smilies).  By doing this, you not only let the original poster know you are replying to something he/she said, but also helps eliminate confusion in the readers because they can see to what you are replying.  Does that make sense?  LOL 

I just wanted to pass that along to some of the newer posters here who may not know about the "quote" feature.  Happy reading!

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

meme1 - submitting posts

I use Safari and I don't get any little white balloon or a tool box or smiles. Or am I not understanding where I should look. On my screen I get a box which says quote post. And you can see I also get extra info with the quoted post. Help!

Oops! The extra info does not show up on the post - only on my screen when I'm writing the post. Sorry.

meme1,
Good job, just keep playing with it.

You also may want to highlight the residual posts that people have left in their replies and hit your delete key to get rid of them, and only leave the post you want to reply to in your text body, before you click on Submit Post.  I think Everyman mentioned this.  Post' bodies tend to get lengthy and the next poster will end up plowing through all kinds of irrelevant thoughts, just to find your post.  If that makes sense. 

Leave the blue line to delineate your post from the person you are posting to, as I've done, here, with you.  I also left your previous post on here.  You can make your reply at the top, or at the bottom in this text body.  Your choice.  I usually try to address the person to whom I'm posting to, also, as you see.  Will save confusion. 

If you look up at the MESSAGE SUBJECT LINE, I also changed the Re:  Welcomes and Introductions, to reflect my thoughts to you.  Before you open my post up, you know what I'm going to talk about:  meme1 - submitting posts.  But keep this line down to as few words as you can.  Just enough words to get your point across.  If you get wordy, it starts to trail all over the place [depending on how many people respond to your post]. 

You'll get the hang of it, just play with it before the discussion starts. We've all, at one time or another, gone through this, and don't be afraid to ask for help. 
 HELP! - SOS! :smileysurprised:
Somebody will come along and save your ship!  I'm sure! :smileyhappy:

Going back and editing posts, once you've posted - that's another subject!

I hope this helps.
Kathy S.
Contributor
Turner_A
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! My name is Amanda. This will be my first time joining a book club online. I can't wait to get started.
Frequent Contributor
kanellio65
0 Kudos

refuel360 wrote:
Hi,
My name is Jason, and this will be my first "First Look" experience. Sadly, I missed the prime sign-up days for both The Sister and The Monsters of Templeton. I'm looking forward to the upcoming discussion, and Songs for the Missing. I'm sure they will both be great!

Hi, Jason! Welcome to First Look. This will be my second book and I can't wait to get mine. You sound familiar to me. Do you by any chance teach school like I do? I can't wait to May so school will be out AND so our First Look book will get here. It is fun to read something before everyone else can get to it and writing the review is also a nice touch! Have a great weekend!:smileyvery-happy:
New User
Pinkie72
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,
I'm Elizabeth...just signed up and can't wait to enjoy the site!
Frequent Contributor
mwinasu
0 Kudos

Well I think I am in , but I just got back from vacation and things are still up in the air here.  This will be my second First Look.  I really enjoyed the first and am looking forward to the next one as well.  I am a big fan of Japanese literature, and read a great deal of world literature.  I like the strange and unpredictable in literature, it frequently makes me think harder.
New User
gem90
0 Kudos

Hello - my name is Jennifer and I just signed up.  This is one of the amazing aspects of the internet.  I am hoping that I get the book!
New User
oldphotogurl
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Wendy- I live in Alabama with my husband, son, MIL and 3 beautiful little dogs. I love reading and photography. My favorite books are mystery and horror. My most fav author is Stephen King.:-)

I am excited and hope to be a part of First Look.

Wendy
Inspired Contributor
gringorn
0 Kudos

Yikes!!  I listen to books all the time driving from Georgia to North Carolina to get my grandson most months.  I never really thought about it being dangerous when I get so engrossed in my "books".  I never listen to them when he is in the car (he is a chatterbox!!) and now I am really glad of that.  Hmm, I will have to rethink that. It just helps the time pass so enjoyably!
Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

My Name is Claudia.  This is my second First Look.  I really enjoyed The Sister and can't wait to start Songs for the Missing.  I am a 7th grade Literature teacher at a middle school in Northwest Georgia.  We will be out of school in June, so I hope I will have more time to participate in this discussion than I did in the previous one!!  I like the fact that we are getting to read a novel by a well known writer (although I had not read any of his novels until I picked one up after being included in this First Look!).  But, I am enjoying his book that I am reading and think that I will really enjoy Songs for the Missing!:smileyvery-happy:

Claudia

"Reading is for the mind what exercise is for the body."
Sir Richard Steele
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
Frequent Contributor
Mary1234
0 Kudos

My name is Mary. I just found out that I will be a part of the book group discussion for June. I am so happy to be a part of it.

I am a retired educator and love to read. Looking forward to hearing form you!

Mary
Reader 2
MsMia
0 Kudos

Hi - I'm Sherry and I live in Colorado with two almost grown kids.

I am really excited to be included in this book group and I can't wait to start reading. I'm gonna love curling up with my computer and a good cup of coffee to enjoy all the conversation.
Contributor
Deenow
0 Kudos

Hello! I am so excited to join this book club. I hope it is a really good book. I enjoyed The Sister. Hope this is just as good.
Frequent Contributor
PattyJean
0 Kudos

Hi, Jason! Welcome to First Look. This will be my second book and I can't wait to get mine. You sound familiar to me. Do you by any chance teach school like I do? I can't wait to May so school will be out AND so our First Look book will get here. It is fun to read something before everyone else can get to it and writing the review is also a nice touch! Have a great weekend!:smileyvery-happy:

Wonder how many teachers are here? This is my second book also and am hoping with school being out I will have more time on the discussion boards!
Reader
melindaproza
0 Kudos

Hello! My name is Melinda and I live in Texas. This will be my first book club, too and I'm so very excited!
Reader
amyvancura
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I'm Amy. I'm a teacher in North Carolina and an avid reader. This is my first "First Look" book/event and I'm really excited! Like most of you I read the synopsis of the book and I can't wait to get my hands on it. It looks amazing! I look forward to taking part in the discussion. :smileyhappy:
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 448 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: