Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

I should think so! Once a teacher, always a teacher.

I really can't wait until this ARC arrives and we start our teacher thread! I am anxious to see just how many of us there are here!

Claudia

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body."
Sir Richard Steele

Everyman wrote:
I hope a former English teacher would be allowed to be part of it!

ClaudiaLuce wrote:
I love the idea of a teacher thread!! I think there must be quite a few of us on here! I have noticed a number of us introducing ourselves specifically as Middle School teachers. What a discussion that will be!
Thanks for thinking of it!
Claudia
Sir Richard Steele

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
Contributor
sile
0 Kudos

Elementary teacher here and I love the idea as well!

Everyman wrote:
I hope a former English teacher would be allowed to be part of it!

ClaudiaLuce wrote:
I love the idea of a teacher thread!! I think there must be quite a few of us on here! I have noticed a number of us introducing ourselves specifically as Middle School teachers. What a discussion that will be!
Thanks for thinking of it!
Claudia
Sir Richard Steele

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Start the Teacher thread in Com. Room?

E-man, and all, why not start the teacher thread, now, in the Com. Room?  In the Merry Month of May!

Kathy S,
KathyS
0 Kudos

Hi Teresa, seasoned So. Calif reader!  :smileyhappy: 
What part in So. Ca.  are you located?  I'm Inland Empire.
Kathy S.

NavyAirMom wrote:
Good Morning,
   My name is Theresa and I am here in beautiful Southern California.  I am so looking forward to receiving this new book.  I thoroughly got caught up in The Sister.   It was my first experience with First Look and the discussion boards were a bit overwhelming for me.  Now that I am a "seasoned" First Look reader, I think it will be a little easier to keep up. Thank you for giving us readers a fantastic venue to take our enjoyment of reading one step further.  It is an awesome experience to have so many people to discuss the same book with.
Happy reading!!!
Theresa

My quote for the day...
"WE MAKE PLANS, GOD LAUGHS!"
-author unknown

New User
hersheywinter
0 Kudos

Re: meme1 - submitting posts

Hi everyone,

I am Jennifer, and this is my first time joining an onlined book club.  You are my outlet for adult conversation as I spend all day with my toddler!  Looking forward to the book and conversation!

Take care!:smileyvery-happy:
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Start the Teacher thread in Com. Room?

I think the original idea was a more book-specific teacher thread, though I could be wrong. If so, we can't start one in this forum; only the moderator can.

A more generic teacher thread is certainly possible in the community room, but I'm not sure it would be that well attended. But maybe!

KathyS wrote:
E-man, and all, why not start the teacher thread, now, in the Com. Room? In the Merry Month of May!
Kathy S,

0 Kudos

coavalanche12 wrote:

PattyJean wrote:

Hi, Jason! Welcome to First Look. This will be my second book and I can't wait to get mine. You sound familiar to me. Do you by any chance teach school like I do? I can't wait to May so school will be out AND so our First Look book will get here. It is fun to read something before everyone else can get to it and writing the review is also a nice touch! Have a great weekend!:smileyvery-happy:

Wonder how many teachers are here? This is my second book also and am hoping with school being out I will have more time on the discussion boards!

I am sure there are a lot of teachers here! I am one! Love to read but time is an issue. I am glad that I will get to participate during summer months this round. Although I am taking classes the first part of June.

I am a teacher also in MA. I love reading anything I can get my hands on, however I find that I also don't have as much time as I would like to read. I am hoping that during the summer I can read more but I am also teaching some school four days a week so hopefully I will be able to keep up with the discussions.
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
KathyS
0 Kudos

E-man, I assumed it was a generic "meeting of the minds-people/getting to know you" kind of thing, here; and since there are so many teachers within this group, it seemed  The Com. Room was the obvious place to chat and talk about anything that comes to mind.....just a message subject header would probably be best:  The Teachers Lounge (in the Com. Room.  I'll go ahead and post it, and see what happens.  If anyone wants to change their message subject, within this one, they have that option.  I won't start a specific thread (folder), though.  I know I can do it, physically, but eventually there's going to be too many thread topics to deal with,  once the discussion starts, and one more is not going to be welcome.
K.

Everyman wrote:
I think the original idea was a more book-specific teacher thread, though I could be wrong. If so, we can't start one in this forum; only the moderator can.

A more generic teacher thread is certainly possible in the community room, but I'm not sure it would be that well attended. But maybe!

KathyS wrote:
E-man, and all, why not start the teacher thread, now, in the Com. Room? In the Merry Month of May!
Kathy S,

Contributor
BryVal
0 Kudos

Hey there everyone,

This Bryan from Las Vegas.  This will actually be my third first look book.  I have really enjoyed the others.  I'm sure this one will be just as good.  Talk to you all soon.
Reader 4
srhodus
0 Kudos

I my name is Susan and I am from Louisville, KY (Kentucky Derby is tomorrow!!).  I participated in the last first look (The Sister) and look forward to this one too!!

Thanks
Contributor
readerbynight
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone. I don't think I've introduced myself on here yet, I've been away the past couple of weeks. I sure hope I'm one of the lucky ones to get one of these books and get a chance to comment on it. I came into it late with the Sister. I'm Betty and I live in Smithers, BC (Northern BC with the moose and the bears) and we are finally free of snow! I am retired, have 3 children who so far have produced 4 grandchildren, only one of which lives anywhere near me. I love reading and learning something from the books I read whether they be fiction or non-fiction, they all can teach us something due to the wonderful research authors put in. I am by choice a mystery buff, but have found it exciting to read many new genres in the past year.
Frequent Contributor
DONNAJG24
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone

My name is Donna and I currently live in Gainesville GA, originally from Ohio. This is the first time I have ever signed up for a book club, so I am excited to see how it is.  I'm married and have a 15 year oId son. I am also attending classes online and work full-time. I always try to make time to read a good book.  look forward to reading your posts in the future.
Contributor
dumlao_n
0 Kudos

Hello my name is Nicole and I am from San Jose, CA. This is my third time in the Barnes and Noble book club. I am looking forward to reading and discussing Songs for the Missing with all of you.
KxBurns
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
E-man, I assumed it was a generic "meeting of the minds-people/getting to know you" kind of thing, here; and since there are so many teachers within this group, it seemed  The Com. Room was the obvious place to chat and talk about anything that comes to mind.....just a message subject header would probably be best:  The Teachers Lounge (in the Com. Room.  I'll go ahead and post it, and see what happens.  If anyone wants to change their message subject, within this one, they have that option.  I won't start a specific thread (folder), though.  I know I can do it, physically, but eventually there's going to be too many thread topics to deal with,  once the discussion starts, and one more is not going to be welcome.
K.

Everyman wrote:

KathyS wrote:
Kathy S,

I think your teacher thread in the Community Room is a great idea!
Frequent Contributor
MJColson
0 Kudos

I could be wrong, but I think that Everyman was referencing the Community Room that exists in the general book club area, not the Community Room specific to this book.
I'm not so sure that taking over the First Look Community Room is such a good idea.
If you want a thread specifically for teachers, have you asked Maria if she will create one for you?
KathyS
0 Kudos

MJColson,
yes, E-man may have meant the "General Community Room".   I don't know for sure.  The people who wanted this seem to be here, in this book group.  It's more convenient to STAY in the area you are already in, than hop around these boards.

Creating a single thread in this Com. Room., won't take it over, any more than if you created a topic in this room about Books You Like To Read, or any other personal topic you choose to talk about.   If you want to talk about the weather, you can. That's what all of these Com. Rms. are used for.  I did mentioned that it would NOT be a good idea to create a separate "thread/folder", within this group.....we could do this, ourselves, but it would be just an irrelevant thread [not pertaining to the discussion of this book] to congest this soon to be folder/congested board.  Not a good idea to do that! :smileyhappy:

Maria reads this board.  She, or Karen, has the ruling on this, whatever they want to do, it's up to them.  It was just a suggestion to this group, to place it where I did.  You, or anyone, has the choice to chat/talk further, there, or not.  It just doesn't belong here [my feelings], in the Welcome and Intro. section thread.

Happy reading.  :smileyhappy:
Kathy S.

MJColson wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think that Everyman was referencing the Community Room that exists in the general book club area, not the Community Room specific to this book.
I'm not so sure that taking over the First Look Community Room is such a good idea.
If you want a thread specifically for teachers, have you asked Maria if she will create one for you?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Correct.

MJColson wrote:
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Lisa from So. California just here to say "Hey" --- waving to everyone

Just wondering..did anybody get the book yet? Last time (The Sister) we So. Cal. people were the last to get them.
www.lisamm.wordpress.com
Contributor
atkinst2
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Theresa.

I really enjoyed Sister and am looking forward to Stewart O'Nan's Songs for the Missing.  I'm thrilled to be back for another First Look!
Contributor
NavyAirMom
0 Kudos

Good Morning Kathy...nice to meet you neighbor : )
   I live in Wildomar. 
Theresa
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 71 members 670 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: