Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

[ Edited ]
Hello! I'm PJ and live in northern Colorado.  BTW, white water rafting season is about to start here if anyone needs an excellent opportunity for adventure--the water will be fast and high due to lots of snow in the high country this past winter.  Okay, now that I've gotten my I love Colorado/vacation pitch out of the way---I got my book yesterday. Can't wait to participate. I couldn't make it through The Sister so I am certainly glad to have another opportunity with a "new to me" author. This one looks like something more of my norm.  I'm more of a "read the whole book and then discuss" kind of gal so I probably won't be doing the chapter thing. Also, I'm a night shift RN and sometimes my posts may not make sense or will be spelled poorly simply because I could be in desperate need of sleep so bear with me! (like now, for instance!:smileywink:)

Message Edited by pjpick on 05-15-2008 12:06 PM
Frequent Contributor
judycarr
0 Kudos

The book JUST arrived and of course I am dying to sit down and start reading.  BUT I stayed home today to clean as I am having company tomorrow.....oh well, what's a little dust? I did read the letter that came from the author and was struck by his comment that the story was not Kim's but of the people who were left behind.  Immediately the book the Lovely Bones came to mind which to me, was the story of all the people left behind after the death of the central character ....whose name escapes me! If this book even comes close to the Lovely Bones we are in for a treat!

Happy Reading!
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

judycarr wrote:
The book JUST arrived and of course I am dying to sit down and start reading. BUT I stayed home today to clean as I am having company tomorrow.....oh well, what's a little dust? I did read the letter that came from the author and was struck by his comment that the story was not Kim's but of the people who were left behind. Immediately the book the Lovely Bones came to mind which to me, was the story of all the people left behind after the death of the central character ....whose name escapes me! If this book even comes close to the Lovely Bones we are in for a treat!
Happy Reading!

I agree with you! "The Lovely Bones" is an awesome read, one that still haunts me. I am hoping this book will be similar.
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
molter1970
0 Kudos

Hi:

My name is Kathy Molter and I am an avid sports fan in the City of Pittsburgh right now. This is my third first look club book. I am fond of mystery novels and some historical autobiographies. I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts on the book.

Kathy M.:smileyhappy:
Kathy M.
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Received my book yesterday.  I noted the discussion schedule.  I'm off to start reading tonight.
MG
Reader
maddeelou
0 Kudos

Hello! I just got my book last night and was so excited I was dancing around my house. I have never been a part of a book club before although I have been involved in small groups at my church and we discussed books as part of small group. I teach high school and the last day of school if June 3. I hope I will be able to find time to read before then. I am really looking forward to this.

maddeelou
Frequent Contributor
Crystal8i8
0 Kudos

Ok so I'm new, I'm 24 and also starting college again this week. I have only read one of O'Nan's books (I too an a FAITHFUL Red Sox fan from MA)  so this may be a bit difficult for me since I am taking 5 classes over the summer to get a great big jump on my fall classes, plus work.  I just received my book today and as soon as I finish the book I'm in now, i will jump wholeheartedly into this one.  Looking forward to whatever discussions I can get into with you all!

Crystal
The Butterfly Girl 8i8

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Frequent Contributor
Frank_n_beans
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. My name is Dani and I am a 28 year old woman from New England. This is my second First-look Bookclub. I just received my book today and am looking forward to reading it. I love the cover!
Contributor
jabrke
0 Kudos

Woo-Hoo, I got my book today!  Currently I am reading  Brothers  by Da Chen. Great book, I will have to hurry and finish it so I can be caught up with the First Look schedule.

Happy reading everyone!
Contributor
jmcauliffe
0 Kudos

I am so absolutely excited. I just got my book a few minutes ago. As soon as I realized the UPS guy was coming to my house, I knew what it was. I can't wait to get started, but I think I will need to wait a day. I have so many things to do. The book is beckoning to me.
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

KxBurns wrote:
Hey there -

I'm delighted to hear some of you have already received your books! Just wanted to let you know that our discussion schedule has been posted here.

Karen

Thanks for the heads up Karen. Now if I get my book in the next few days, I'll feel comfortable getting started reading it.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Her name is Suzie if I remember correctly.

judycarr wrote:
Immediately the book the Lovely Bones came to mind which to me, was the story of all the people left behind after the death of the central character ....whose name escapes me! If this book even comes close to the Lovely Bones we are in for a treat!

Happy Reading!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

My mom just called me to say the book has arrived. I am running out of here at 5:00 to go and get it even before I pick my kids.
Reader
tokemise
0 Kudos

HI,
I'm Tobi from Maryland and I just received my copy of "Songs for the Missing" today.  I love to read, have a small book club that I run and I am happy to be in my first  First Look Book Club
Frequent Contributor
DONNAJG24
0 Kudos

Just got my copy today!! I guess I didn't realize exactly where this story takes place. I was born in Toledo and grew up in Port Clinton, which is about 1.5 hours east of Cleveland. I lived in Northwest Ohio my whole life until 2 years agon when we moved to Georgia. Now I am even more excited to get started!!
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

jabrke:

I read Brothers a few months ago.  I too enjoyed reading it.

Cathy

jabrke wrote:
Woo-Hoo, I got my book today!  Currently I am reading  Brothers  by Da Chen. Great book, I will have to hurry and finish it so I can be caught up with the First Look schedule.

Happy reading everyone!

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

molter1970 wrote:
Hi:

My name is Kathy Molter and I am an avid sports fan in the City of Pittsburgh right now. This is my third first look club book. I am fond of mystery novels and some historical autobiographies. I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts on the book.

Kathy M.:smileyhappy:

Hi Kathy,
This is my third time around, too, and though I no longer live in PGH, I am an avid Steelers fan and have been since the 70s.   So I wanted to say a special hello to 'you'ns'  and give a wave of the Terrible Towel.
My book just arrived and I'm really glad it's here a bit earlier than I'd expected.  I'm traveling next week and feared it would arrive while I was away and cause me a late start on the discussions.   Instead I'll have airplane time to read it!    It sounds like you, too, have lived other places than PGH.  I was born in the Chicago area and now live AZ.   I can testify that there are avid Steeler fans wherever you go!
I'll watch for your posts.
JoAnn
Contributor
sile
0 Kudos

I drove up to my house and saw a little brown package waiting for me!  I can't wait to start reading and discussing with you all.  I just love reading and talking about books.
New User
bookworm00
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm Linda from New Jersey. I just rec'd the book today, and will be hunkering down with it this weekend. This is the 1st time I've joined a book club, so hopefully I'll be able to jump in with some lively discussion.
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:
My copy was in the mail today. I live in North Carolina. It came with a personable letter from the author and just "peeking" it has a good voice right from the start.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 769 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: