Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
DONNAJG24
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

I know going to school makes reading for pleasure much more difficult. I went back myself and I find it harder to find that "me" time. I will definitely try to fit Wuthering Heights into my reading schedule. Maybe it will actually broaden my mind a little : ) Just think about the workout that you are getting by caring your books around. That is what I think when I carry my 10 lbs purse with my ever present book inside. I will say that paperbacks are a lot easier to carry!!!!

Donna
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.  This is my first First Look book and I'm thrilled to be part of this book club!  I have read two of Stewart O'Nan books and am looking forward to reading this one.

Carolyn
Frequent Contributor
Mary1234
0 Kudos

Hello to all! Received my book today! SO happy to be part of the group!

Mary
New User
msteenva
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!  My name is TreDella.  Im in Virginia Beach, Virginia and this book club is a new experience for me.
Contributor
Sdf1966
0 Kudos

Hi,  I am so glad to meet a 17 year old student that likes to read.  My daughter is 17 and the only thing she likes to read is the Harry Potter books.  She does love to watch the history channel, so I guess that is something.  I am looking forward to hearing what you think about the book.
Contributor
Murphy919
0 Kudos

My book arrived on Thursday but I had to finish the newest Warriors book that I was reading before I could start (I'm an adult no worries, the series is really great) which I did last night and by page 38 I'm hooked but I was too tired last night to go on. I'm very excited about finishing it and discussing it with all of you.
New User
Jajochku3
0 Kudos

This is my first First Look book.
I am a stay-at-home mom who works part time.  I don't have much time for recreation, but I do find a bit of time to read every day.  I am very excited about being able to 'discuss' the book with other people.
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

While I was on page 18, five seagulls flew down to the rocks to hold a conference, shifting occasionally to keep their feet dry as the tide came in.

On page 34, a bald eagle flew by in and landed in our perch tree on the corner of our property.

On page 60, a hummingbird came over to investigate my mug (which is pink), flitted about for a minute or two, and decided there was nothing of interest, so left for redder pastures.

Got to page 68, then my wife came home with the shopping so I quit to unload the car and come check in here.

Glorious day, wonderful location, great reading -- it doesn't get any better than this!

Everyman!  That's just idyllic!  I try to read between two very active children needing all my attention (I homeschool and we don't do tv).  Luckily they are both awesome sleepers, so I get to read at night.

Your setting makes me think of my parents' property on the ocean in Victoria, BC.  My dad is always calling me with stories of wildlife.  I look out my window into my large, wonderful, fully grown backyard; however it's a tiny haven in the concrete jungle that is Toronto!  We have wild rabbit, jays, cardinals, and the occasional groundhog, but nothing like you describe.

Enjoy for me, please.

Amanda
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Amanda-Louise wrote:
Everyman ... Your setting makes me think of my parents' property on the ocean in Victoria, BC....

There's a good reason it should remind you of that. I am looking out my library window at Vancouver Island, and could see Victoria if Oak Bay weren't in the way.

Your father probably mentions looking out at the Olympic mountains: I can see them from here, gleaming white in the morning sun (they are snow covered all year, so even on the hottest days there's that view of snow only a few miles (well, really 30 or so) away to keep the mind cooled off.
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
There's a good reason it should remind you of that. I am looking out my library window at Vancouver Island, and could see Victoria if Oak Bay weren't in the way.

Your father probably mentions looking out at the Olympic mountains: 

Yes~ he definitely has a view of the mountains.  He has a boathouse and dock, and he talks about the seals, etc... that come and sun themselves there.  He really loves it, as you must your location. 
Amanda
Contributor
sile
0 Kudos

msteenva wrote:
Hi everyone!  My name is TreDella.  Im in Virginia Beach, Virginia and this book club is a new experience for me.

I'm in Newport News and it is my first experience too!
New User
tink5159
0 Kudos

Hi Karen - My name is Arlene and I received my book yesterday.   Needless to say I am very excited.   I have been an avid reader since I was a child and am still reading voraciously as a grandma.

Question -  How does one post or receive a private message?  Will the discussion of Songs for the Missing be right here on this page?   I am trying to learn to use this site but am not having too much luck.   Be patient with me.    Thanks.
Arlene
Reader 4
mckait
0 Kudos

My name is kath, and I finished Songs For The Missing today. It is a very gripping story, and I look forward to the discussion.

I live in SW Pa and I am an avid reader, like most here...
Everyone laughs and cries in the same language.
~ dreamslaughter
New User
tink5159
0 Kudos

Hi Pedsheb (did I spell that correctly?)

We live in Florida and I have bluebirds building a nest in their birdhouse (second family this year) and cardinals singing all around.   My husband thought he saw an eagle fly over our property but I missed it.   My book arrived and I am so excited as are the rest of you.   Happy reading!!!
Arlene
New User
LondonGirl1
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!!  I am Laura and live in Kentucky.  I have a recent degree in English Lit and I have a voracious appetite for books. This is my first time in the Fist Look discussion and I look forward to getting to know everyone. I received this book yesterday and finished it today.  I can't wait to start discussing it.
Laura
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Question about when you all plan to read this book

I know most of us have them, and many have at least started. I read a chapter to "feel it out" and it rang very true and interesting.

Now though, I am trying to decide whether to go ahead and read it (I read fast) then discuss it in June. Or just read the first third, or maybe not any till June. I want to be in sync with most people discussing it.

So--Are you reading now or waiting till June or reading a little now, then waiting?
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Question about when you all plan to read this book

Bonnie824 wrote:
I know most of us have them, and many have at least started. I read a chapter to "feel it out" and it rang very true and interesting.

Now though, I am trying to decide whether to go ahead and read it (I read fast) then discuss it in June. Or just read the first third, or maybe not any till June. I want to be in sync with most people discussing it.

So--Are you reading now or waiting till June or reading a little now, then waiting?

I am planning to read at least the first third for the beginning of the discussion. How much more I read depends on two things: 1) how fast I get sucked into the story  lol and 2) finishing up the other books I am reading right now. Too many good things to read at once! :smileyvery-happy:
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Reader
Bardin1327
0 Kudos

Hi My name is Nancy. I am a proud grandmother of 4 from upstate New York who lives to read. This is my second first look. Sister was the first. I am not good at the discussion(same as in real life)-However I read the posts--gives me lots to think about. I received the book on Thursday and finished it Friday nite. Thought provoking subject: Something that I have always thought about in the past...what the family must go thru..
Nancy
KxBurns
0 Kudos

tink5159 wrote:
Hi Karen - My name is Arlene and I received my book yesterday.   Needless to say I am very excited.   I have been an avid reader since I was a child and am still reading voraciously as a grandma.

Question -  How does one post or receive a private message?  Will the discussion of Songs for the Missing be right here on this page?   I am trying to learn to use this site but am not having too much luck.   Be patient with me.    Thanks.

Hi Arlene,
The discussion will take place place off the main board for Songs for the Missing (the page where you find this thread listed along with the "Community Room," "Further Reading by Stewart O'Nan," and other threads). Starting June 2nd, new threads will begin to appear there. Click through to read the comments and respond, just as you've done here. If you haven't seen the discussion schedule yet, you can find on the News, Schedules & Updates thread.

To send a private message, just click on the little envelope toward the top of the page (it will be either yellow or white, depending on whether you have unread messages awaiting you), go to the "Send a New Message" tab in the window that opens, enter the user name of the person to whom you wish to send a PM, and compose your message. 

Once you get the hang of a few little things, it's pretty easy. But let me know if you need any help, and welcome to the club!

Karen
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

Re: Question about when you all plan to read this book

I like to read the whole book and once the discussion starts reread the parts discussed -- for me it is easier this way -- so far the book is very good, but the print is a little small for my taste --  :0)
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 222 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: