Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Question about when you all plan to read this book

reddoglady wrote: ... the print is a little small for my taste

I agree. I intend to mention this to the publisher when they come on -- I hope for the sake of older readers that they will be adjusting this in the final edition.
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hello everyone.  I am an avid reader from the Cleveland, OH area.  Reading is my favorite avocation and I am delighted to have received the new ARC.  I enjoyed the discussion of the Sister, although the book was not a favorite of mine.  I am anticipating beginning Songs for the Missing soon. 
Reader
catmom50
0 Kudos

Hi, Margie here in Beautiful central Oregon. This is my first time being in the First Look Book club, and I'm really enjoying the book so far.
Margie in Beautiful Central Oregon
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

I got my book already!! Thanks :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone! My name is Sue and I have been on B&N since it was Barnes and Noble University. This is my first "First Look" book though and I am looking forward to it.
"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I thought I was the only one who finished the book!  I received the book on Thursday and read two chapters on Friday.  I intended to read one more chapter on Saturday and got sucked in to the story - - stayed up 'til 2 in the morning and finished the book.  As a few of you already mentioned, I also thought the print was too small.  Since the Advanced Copy is just a proof, I am assuming they made the print small to save on paper.  The final copy for sale will probably be larger print, especially since it will be in hardcover.

Message Edited by bookowlie on 05-19-2008 10:14 AM
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I'm afraid to start, because I can tell from the comments that I won't be able to stop. 
Contributor
pjmanley41
0 Kudos

Hey, I'm Peggy from rural Alabama.

Got my copy last week. Read it over the weekend. My first book from First Look and my first book club. Never read any of O'Nan's other works. Now of course I have to go to the library and see what else they have from him.

I really enjoy the intro letter from the author and it gave me a little insight into the way the book was written.

Good book. Hope discussing it will be as much fun.
Contributor
pjmanley41
0 Kudos

va-BBoomer wrote:
Hi, I'm Virginia, and I have received the confirmation for this book; this is my second First Read. I hope I can come in on schedule; got a bad stomach bug and was sick the entire first week of The Sister, so that has put me way behind and unable to post. I am also doing History Club with John Adams and Teapot Dome Scandal - both very interesting.
Have talked to several of you - I am a born and bred New Englander - MA, with family tree in ME - and been in NY 20 1/2 years - working in Manhattan and living in Yonkers.
Glad to be here: can't wait to get the book. This is my first O'Nan.

Virginia, What is the History Club? Just don't want to miss any good reading! LOL Peggy
Contributor
princessrexall
0 Kudos

got my book on Wednesday... started on Friday night and in between work and just not wanting to stop i finished it yesterday.  i will be going to the library to take out more of his books.  it was depressing, hopeful, wonderful and inspiring.  Loved it.
Contributor
Deenow
0 Kudos

Got my book today! Can't wait to hear what everybody thinks about it. Happy reading!
Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

Hi!
I'm Mad and I received my book last week as well.  I've been reading it slowly and making some notes as I go along.  I live in NC but I'm originally from NY.  Books have been my life companions and I can't go to sleep without reading in bed for at least an hour. 
To appease my parents I majored in Accounting all those years ago so that I would have definite employment.  :smileywink:  But if I had to do it again I would major in literature.
New User
bunnynosebeth
0 Kudos

Hello to everyone.  I am new to the book club, and recieved my  arc the other day. I have to admit, i went ahead and started it, but couldn`t put it down. I have read the entire book and the only negative words i have for it is that Im sad its over. The story was touching, well written, and just beautiful. As a mother of two young girls, this story caught me in its grip, I cried . I enjoyed it very much . I cant wait to discuss it with everyone else. Have a great day everyone.
Contributor
vcgosox
0 Kudos

Hello,

I just received the book today. This is my first time with the first look series. I am in Northeast Ohio.I look forward to the book and the discussion.

Vicky
Vicky
Inspired Contributor
Linda10
0 Kudos

Hi, Vicky!

I grew up in northeast Ohio!  Whereabouts are you?  I was in South Euclid, Lyndhurst.

Did you know that our First Look book takes place in northeast Ohio?  How fun!

Linda

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Hey Linda and Vicky, there seems to be a few of us northeast Ohioans here.  It's been pretty interesting for me to read Songs with Cleveland, Toledo and Erie tossed out every so often.  So far, I'm really captured by this book hope you are too.

Linda10 wrote:
Hi, Vicky!

I grew up in northeast Ohio!  Whereabouts are you?  I was in South Euclid, Lyndhurst.

Did you know that our First Look book takes place in northeast Ohio?  How fun!

Linda

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Contributor
Opusquest
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Songs for the Missing will be my first First Look book.  I've read the majority of it and it is excellent!  Can't wait to see what we chat about.

:smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

I live in nc also -- just north of raleigh in franklinton -- 
Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

I'm in Eastern NC! 

I just finished the book last night and am eager to hear everyone's take. 
Contributor
kLorene
0 Kudos

hello everyone...i live in richmond, virginia, and stewart o'nan has been on my reading list for a LONG time. i rec'd SONGS last week, and started it last night.  already it's clear what a wonderful writer he is.  i'm looking forward to diving in over the long holiday weekend. 
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 963 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: