Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
phinz
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

This is my first BN ARC, but not my first ARC, by far.

I finished the book a couple of days ago and quite enjoyed it. I found myself wanting to get to the final resolution at times, but I liked seeing the progression of relationships and personalities as the story wound on.
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.
Contributor
teacher1
0 Kudos

I am half-way through and still believe it is derivative.  I've read stories like this one before (I am trying to remember the titles and will add them later).  All the techniques used to look for a missing person have also been on tv in many shows including Without a Trace.  I have my suspicions about what happened and am interested enough to keep reading to find out.  But the actions of the parents and the "friends" seem predictable and reveal nothing new about human beings and their reactions and motivations so far.
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

I read "The Lovely Bones".  It didn't do it for me.

Maybe that's why i'm not enjoying it. I read "The Lovely Bones" and loved it. This book is missing something. I don't want to give anything away, so I won't elaborate on my thoughts.

Reina

New User
Pamelastubbs
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Pamela. I am a stay at home mom of two great boys. They are nine and four. I have already began reading my book, LOVE IT! I love reading! I can't wait to discuss with everyone. This is my first book club. I am so excited!
Contributor
reina10
0 Kudos

EbonyAngel wrote:
I read "The Lovely Bones". It didn't do it for me.

Maybe that's why i'm not enjoying it. I read "The Lovely Bones" and loved it. This book is missing something. I don't want to give anything away, so I won't elaborate on my thoughts.

Reina

I would be interested to know how you feel about this book when you are done reading it. It's interesting to see how we react differently to the same story. :smileyhappy:

Reina
Reina
Frequent Contributor
mrsvaljones
0 Kudos

Well I was finally able to break open my box, MY FINALS ARE OVER!!!!!! and have a looksee at the book within. It sounds interesting and I can not wait to dive in which I plan on doing as soon as I finish typing this up.
Valerie Jones
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams..." -Dr. Seuss
Contributor
mrstreme
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! This is my third B&N First Look book, and I have already finished. I don't think any of you will be disappointed.

I am an avid reader who enjoys reading and writing reviews of books. I post my reviews to my blog if you're interested: http://mrstreme.livejournal.com.

When I am not reading, I work as a marketing manager and have one husband, two sons and two cats - we all have a lot of fun. Life is good.

Looking forward to the discussion!
Jill
Contributor
LadyAlexis
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!! My names Is Alexis Im 30 And I am from Philadelphia PA.
This is my first ARC and my first Book as well.
I am very excited to be apart of this! I am learning where to post what.

I'm having a hard time with this one :smileysad: The pace seems as if it should move along just fine, however, for me, it's not. It's like its sputtering along.

I feel like I don't really know enough about her, or It could be that I don't care about the main character enough to want to know? 

Will of course finish the book, and still have hope for it:smileyhappy:

Look forward to sharing my thoughts with all of you!!!

"While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning
how to die."
Leonardo da Vinci
Contributor
LadyAlexis
0 Kudos

Hello to both of you,

I read the Lovely Bones as well, would it be okay to join in on your "talk" about the two.

I am almost dome with Songs for the Missing.

Thanks for youe time!!!:smileyhappy:
"While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning
how to die."
Leonardo da Vinci
Reader 2
Lizzie
0 Kudos

Hi,  I am Liz from Burlington, MA.  I am hoping I can participate more in conversations. This will be my third First Look book club.  I love to read and belong to a bookclub.  Happy Reading! Liz
Lizzie
Frequent Contributor
Terrie
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!! Terrie from Wisconsin here. This is my 3rd First Look Book Club. Loved and participated in House of Riverton...read The Sister, but never posted as I read the whole book first and then couldn't really get into the discussion. So, I'm going to try again, reading by the sections and then posting. Hopefully I can therefore have something to add that hasn't already been said!! I heard the Community Room is full of discussions about the entire book, so I'm staying away from there for now! Hope to see you on the threads!!
Carpe Diem!
Reader 2
chrisd108
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Chris and I am doing first look for the second time and am looking forward to the discussion.  This is my second book club and I have found that I love to read.  My book clubs have opened up new worlds in  my reading adventure. 

Frequent Contributor
ladychatterly
0 Kudos

Hi all fellow northeast Ohioans! I'm Margaret from North Royalton, OH (suburb of Cleveland). I grew up in this part of Ohio, too; born in Cleveland, moved to Parma, then to Brecksville, then had to leave this wonderful state and lived in Chicago for twelve years, a stint in Lexington Kentucky which I loved, and now back "HOME" for the last six years and glad to be here! I love the setting of the book and we can all relate to exactly the places mentioned and described. We'll have to chat about those later when the discussion begins on June 2nd; I don't want to mention anything that hasn't already been given for obvious reasons.
I can't WAIT until the discussion begins, I'm just about finished with the book and will re-read it before then I'm sure:-)
Reader
heatherb
0 Kudos

Although I have not had a chance to start this book yet, I also read The Lovely Bones, didn;t like it.  So I am interested in seeing how this compares and if i will enjoy this one more.  Hope so!!
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

heatherb wrote:
Although I have not had a chance to start this book yet, I also read The Lovely Bones, didn;t like it.  So I am interested in seeing how this compares and if i will enjoy this one more.  Hope so!!

I didn't like The Lovely Bones either.  It was written in first person by the victim.   This book is quite different.  I am about half way through it, and liking the book.
MG
Contributor
teacher1
0 Kudos

I finished the book (had to force myself) because I wanted to find out "who did it'?  But I must say that my initial opinion did not change.   There was something missing as many of you have suggested.  Caring about the characters?  Did they seem stiff, superficial?  Loose ends?  Possibilities not developed?  I am curious about what we will be responding to when the "real" discussion begins June 1. 
Contributor
Murphy919
0 Kudos

So it's not just me then.  I really wanted to like it but they all of the characters felt like they were phoning it in, I kept getting confused when we switched perspectives because they all felt so blah. 
KxBurns
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I have to ask those of you who have been discussing your impressions of the book to REFRAIN from such commentary until we officially start on June 2nd. You may not  think you are giving anything away by talking about what you liked or didn't like, or what the story reminded you of, but these comments might be very revealing to others.

This thread is for introductions and idle chat. There are no threads for actual discussion of this book until next week. We're almost there so please sit tight.

Thanks!
Karen
Contributor
Redhead525
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Valerie from Sarasota, Florida.  Got my book and am over half way through.  This is my first "First Look" experience, and my first online book club.  I'm looking forward to reading what you all have to say.  It's been fun to have people ask what I'm reading and tell them about this club...it's like being in on a secret and a lot of fun to be able to read a book without any prior knowledge.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
We're happy that you are sharing your impressions with us, but please heed Karen's request to refrain from discussing them until we begin on June 2. At that point, threads will be open and you can all chime in.

Thanks,
Maria

KxBurns wrote:
Hi there,
I have to ask those of you who have been discussing your impressions of the book to REFRAIN from such commentary until we officially start on June 2nd. You may not think you are giving anything away by talking about what you liked or didn't like, or what the story reminded you of, but these comments might be very revealing to others.
This thread is for introductions and idle chat. There are no threads for actual discussion of this book until next week. We're almost there so please sit tight.
Thanks!
Karen

Message Edited by Maria_H on 05-28-2008 08:41 AM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 84 members 216 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: