Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
Hodgieptd
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hi! My name is Teena and I live in Westerville, OH. I completed the book last night and am excited to begin. I am pretty new to online book clubs. I have checked them out before, but never really participated.

Contributor
Casperette
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your advice on reading the postings....  started the book last night..... can't wait until our first discussion!!!
Contributor
JulieC82
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Julie and this is my 1st, First Look book. I read The House at Riverton but after my friend lent it to me so I didn't participate in the discussion. I finished Songs for the Missing today and really enjoyed it. I hadn't heard of Stuart O'Nan before and have to say I really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to our discussion next week on the book. Can't wait to get other readers feedback.
Reader
bobbird3131
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Leslie and I am really looking forward to this discussion.
Frequent Contributor
psujulie
0 Kudos

Hi everyone -- this is my third time around for the First Look Book Club, and I'm really looking forward to it. I am a stay-at-home mom of two (8 1/2 year old daughter and 3 1/2 year old son) who loves to read! I have never read a book by Stewart O'Nan before so I'm excited to get started on it (nothing like waiting until the last minute.) I enjoyo all types of books but especially fiction. I can't wait to "meet" all of you and get to know you better through the next few weeks of discussion.
http://bookingmama.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
GnANorman
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!  My name is Arwen (yes, my father loved the book Lord of the Rings)and I currently live in Newport, RI.  I finished Songs last night and enjoyed it.  This is my first time with the First Look Book Club and I'm looking forward to the discussion starting on Monday!  Anyone know when they'll announce the next book selection?
New User
ElyseInNY
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
HI my name is Elyse. I've been in book clubs since the beginning of high school. I introduced myself before, but I got the book and I'm not sure exactly where I'm supposed to discuss it?

If anyone can help me that'd be really great because I can't wait to talk about it :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by ElyseInNY on 05-31-2008 02:00 PM

Oops nevermind, I found it :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by ElyseInNY on 05-31-2008 02:12 PM
Contributor
NYBri
0 Kudos

I'm Brian from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.
I had to restrain myself from reading right though the book.
Don't want to spoil the discussion by precognition of later events.
It seems like a nice Americana story - around unfortunate happenings - I guess that it is accurate portrayal - disappearances are not unusual occurrences.
Contributor
crimefighter4444
0 Kudos

my name is Rich and Songs For The Missing is my first book from the book club. I received my copy last week and found it to be a read that was very hard to put down. The author has put the reader into the minds of the characters from the beginning to the end of the book. I look forward to reading the other works of this author as I find him to be one of the very good ones out there.
rich bielecki
New User
bstil
0 Kudos

Hello.  My name is Beca and this is my first time joining a book club.  I am an avid reader with hopes & dreams to become a journalist.  I am from northern Michigan (still in the mitten.) I am married and I work at Spectrum Health in an Intensive Care Unit for post-surg patients.  I also have a pet turtle :smileyhappy: 

And yeah...that's really it.  Yay.  Go books!

bec
Contributor
Lady_Graeye
0 Kudos

kanellio65 wrote:
Hello! I am a reading teacher and entered as soon as my students were dismissed. I hope that isn't too late. I was part of the last First Look, The Sister, and it was a dream come true to get an ARC and be able to discuss and review. I am hoping I get my copy as well as some of my friends as we want to discuss the book in our book club as well as online here! Looks like a great choice and I can't wait to get started on it. Keeping fingers crossed I will be able to join the group! Have a grand day!:smileywink:

Hello, I'm Lisa and this is my second time with the "First Look" books. I am so excited to be a part of this. I live in NW Missouri, am the momma of five beautiful ( but always trying my patience ) kids, passionate reader,soul seeker, dog lover and ever-loving summer pool bum (no beaches close to my house, darn, darn and double darn.) We, all, have just become members of a very extended family at a special occasion. Each of us gets the chance to get to know each other and discuss our ideas. We get to defend our ideas against one another as any family member would do, maybe even to the point that we are ready to argue to get our point across, if you know what I mean or if you have ever been to any of my family get togethers. At sometimes, we will laugh and cry together with all of the emotions one can only share with a group of good friends or favorite family members. So heres to a good book, summer and family... it's nice to meet you all. Lisa (Lady_Graeye)
"You Can Never Own Too Many Books; It's Just Not Possible!!!"
Reader 2
Doctor_Stephanie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
First Look Book Club -

Hi! My name is Stephanie and this is my first First Look Book Club experience. I really liked the book by Stewart O'Nan. I found it a compelling and easy read and I especially liked the character development throughout. [edited by moderator]

Message Edited by KxBurns on 06-02-2008 10:20 AM
Frequent Contributor
READERJANE
0 Kudos

Hi, I got my book a little late but could not stop reading it! I am looking forward to the discussion because I really loved this book. Jane :smileyhappy:
Reader 4
jbutterfly007
0 Kudos

Hi!

Jamie from Oklahoma. This is my first time here and looking forward to it! :smileyvery-happy:
Reader 4
jbutterfly007
0 Kudos

Hi Reina,

It's Jamie from Librarything. I am glad to see that you are participating also! I agree that it is a great idea for an online book club. Looking forward to the discussion!!

Jamie
New User
24girl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'm Monica from Arlington Texas and this is my first First Look Book Club. I loved the book and I can't wait to get started!

Message Edited by 24girl on 06-02-2008 12:38 PM
New User
johnnysue5
0 Kudos

Hi! This is my first time with First Look. I was so thrilled to receive Songs for the Missing. From reading the back cover I was sure it would be a good book, I wasn't disappointed. Looking forward to discussions with Stewart O'Nan.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Hi all, I'm Debbie from NY state and I've participated in all of the First Look clubs here. This is my first Stewart O'Nan book but I will be reading more now. We have three teens and this is a very busy time of year so I hope I'll be able to join in often. I'm really looking forward to the chats.
New User
applebuttertoast
0 Kudos

Hi I am Renee from Philadelphia, Pa. I got the book a few weeks ago and I was really excited!! It took me awhile to post my introduction though, May was a busy month for me. I need to catch up a bit in reading it but this is my first time participating int he First Look book club and I am very excited. I love to read so I can't wait to participate in the conversations soon.

Renee
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
Hi all, I'm Debbie from NY state and I've participated in all of the First Look clubs here. This is my first Stewart O'Nan book but I will be reading more now. We have three teens and this is a very busy time of year so I hope I'll be able to join in often. I'm really looking forward to the chats.

Hi Debbie  Glad you are on board.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 240 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: