Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Good afternoon! This sounds like a great book to discuss and I hope to get in. Thank you B&N for another opportunity to read a pre-published book. My name is Donna and I am an avid reader. My husband and I live in Western MA and have three sons, one daughter-in-law, and a dog named Oscar. Happy reading everyone. =)
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Reader
funlovingirl22
0 Kudos

Hi all - my name is Erin and I am really excited for this book discussion. Hopefully, I make it in and look forward to reading/discussing this book with everyone!
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

This will be my 2nd First Look Book Club experience and I soooo enjoyed the first! I can't wait for this one to get started. I read the excerpt of "Songs for the Missing" and it looks like it's going to be a great ride. O'Nan can certainly paint a picture. I could almost smell the truck exhaust while she "French inhaled her menthol cigarette". Loved the excerpt. Can't wait for the book. AND I can't wait to discuss it with all of you!

The waiting begins...tick, tick, tick
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Contributor
LillyAndLola
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello, Everyone.  I am Wendy B.  I just requested a copy of Songs for the Missing.  I really hope to receive one.  I read The Sister, but I didn't really understand how this site operated.  (I read the book in one sitting!)  Now that I'm better informed, I'm looking forward to participating. This is a great forum! 

Message Edited by LillyAndLola on 04-08-2008 01:58 PM
Contributor
LollySirk
0 Kudos

Hello ~  My name is Laura and this is my third First Look.  That is, if I signed up in the right place finally. We'll see.  I must say I probably would not have read those books on my own; but, they proved to be such great reading that I will try to open my eyes more to unknown authors on my own.  Maybe this time I can participate more and thank you to those of you for your good wishes for my husband.    Oh, one more thing:  are we there yet? :-)
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

Hi -- I'm Joanne from North Carolina -- I rushed home from work and signed up -- hope I am in -- this is my second first look book club -- I participated in The Sister -- happy reading to everyone -- :0)
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I agree I have been here from the start and today and I hope I get in since I was having a hard time this morning in sign in.  I never have had problems signing in before.  I guess I was so excised to read the next selection that I did everything wrong.  I hope I get in this time.  Because I really love reading all types of books for enjoyment.

gmfuhlman
Contributor
LeisaPS
0 Kudos

Hello all!

If I get the book, Songs for the Missing, it will be my second "First Look" through B&N.  It was a challenge keeping up with all the interesting posts for The Sister (I'm sure I missed quite a few good opinions), but it was a great learning experience all the same.  Looking forward to reading another arc and we'll see what everyone has to say about this one......I have never read anything by Stewart O'Nan before, so I hope I'm in for a treat! 

Talk to everyone later!

Leisa
Reader 2
victoria101073
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello
 My name is Victoria and I am from Fayetteville, Arkansas. I am a stay at home mom to 2 girls and I love to read and I am excited about this book. Happy reading victoria

Message Edited by victoria101073 on 04-08-2008 02:12 PM
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Hi Cathy,Kathy and Cathie from MA from a former South Shore resident now transplanted to Fl. Whereabouts in Ma are you?  Hi to all too. It's good to see some familiar "faces" in here. This new flbc sounds a lot different than the last three but I know it will be a fabulous discussion. We are so fortunate that B&N has this forum. Thank you B&N !!

Kaye from Fl
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi I'm IBIS in Boston.  I'm a violinist with the BSO, and am a diehard Red Sox fan.

This will be my 3rd First Look participation. I've enjoyed House of Riverton and The Sister very much.

Songs for the Missing is a major departure from the previous novels. Stewart O'Nan has already made a reputation for himself, and he's won some pretty heavy-weight literary awards. And to have him join us, and take time to participate with us is HUGE.

Thank you so much, B&N. And thank you, Karen and Maria, for doing all the backstage heavy lifting.

IBIS

Message Edited by IBIS on 04-08-2008 02:14 PM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Contributor
ladydi22
0 Kudos

Hi again,  I'm Diana from Colorado.  This will be my second First Look experience.  I too was a little shy about posting but will try to get out there more this time.  As long as everyone looks at it as in good fun and respectful of others this should be a great time.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
This is KathyS. from beautiful Southern California.  It's not Florida, but hey, we do have plenty of sunshine, and orange juice FROM Florida!

I hope to participate, and hear everyone's input on this new ARC read, Songs for the Missing.  Sounds like another good one!

Looking forward to seeing you all soon,
K.

Message Edited by KathyS on 04-08-2008 11:24 AM
Contributor
coavalanche12
0 Kudos

AllieK wrote:
GO KANSAS JAYHAWKS!!! Men BB won last night!!

coavalanche12 wrote:
I have participated in the last two First Look discussions and am excited to read the next book! My name is Susan and I am from Kansas!

Message Edited by coavalanche12 on 04-08-2008 12:23 PM

Message Edited by AllieK on 04-08-2008 12:27 PM

It was definitely an exciting game to watch! My in-laws used to live 10 minutes from Lawrence, where KU is located. Would have loved to have been there to see it in person!
Frequent Contributor
judycarr
0 Kudos

Greetings!

I'm Judy and I am from upstate New York....way upstate!  It is sunny and warm here today and there is Spring in the air.  That and the promise of a good book make me VERY happy!  I have participated in two previous First Look Book Groups and have really enjoyed the books.  I sometimes get overwhelmed with all the posting but am going to try again! Looking forward to chatting with you !  

New User
zwieback
0 Kudos

Hi,

Samira from Rhode Island.

This is my first virtual book club but I am a member of the untraditional Underground Book Club where you never know who you will be discussing a book with until you get to the meeting. So I'm hoping this will be an interesting translation of that.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Welcome Samira!

Can you tell us a little more about how your Underground club operates? Sounds positively fascinating!

zwieback wrote:
Hi,

Samira from Rhode Island.

This is my first virtual book club but I am a member of the untraditional Underground Book Club where you never know who you will be discussing a book with until you get to the meeting. So I'm hoping this will be an interesting translation of that.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:
Hi Cathy,Kathy and Cathie from MA from a former South Shore resident now transplanted to Fl. Whereabouts in Ma are you?  Hi to all too. It's good to see some familiar "faces" in here. This new flbc sounds a lot different than the last three but I know it will be a fabulous discussion. We are so fortunate that B&N has this forum. Thank you B&N !!

Kaye from Fl

This Cathy is from Attleboro. Only one more town up from Rhode Island. We missed a lot of the snow this year, but we got clobbered last year. Doesn't the weather man know we are SOUTH of Boston? I lived in Pensacola, Fl for a few years, but my heart is and always will be here in good old New England.

I agree with you about this book, it does sound different. I'm looking forward to it.
What a great find the BN Book Clubs are. It makes the experience so much more than reading alone. Look forward to your comments.
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Welcomes and Introductions

Hi everyone,

I have just enrolled myself. .I'd like to discuss this appearently great book with you. I'm a Brazilian literature teacher and I'd like to have and discuss as much as possible information about characters and narrative process to later debates with my students.
Thanks a lot.

Marcílio Garcia
Inspired Contributor
Tasses
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone...

Here's my short intro. story: Former educator with masters degree in Reading and teaching certifications in English - Media - Reading & ESOL, married 26 years, 3 grown children, currently running three websites - 2 geared towards bookish thoughts, also love travel & digital scrapbooking

This will be my fourth First Look participation (3 officially & one 'late to the party' book). I LOVED The Monsters of Templeton and really liked The House at Riverton. My mama taught me that if I can't say something nice, say nothing at all so I'll leave my opinions on The Sister unspoken.

I'm excited to read Songs for the Missing. It sounds like a character driven tale which tends to be my favorite mode of delivery.
See all my reviews at: Reading Rumpus and Many A Quaint & Curious Volume
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 310 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: