Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

I'm in too, just got my confirmation.
Can't wait.
Frequent Contributor
flamingo
0 Kudos

Yellow envelope arrived - I'm in again.  Love First Look.  Also enjoy the history & garden book clubs.  Might check out some of the other while we wait.  Right now I'm reading "When Crickets Cry"  by somebody Martin.  Can't think of his name but it is a very good book.  Have finished the John Adams book that the history club is now reviewing.  Deep into gardening but may take time to read some other works before "Songs for the Missing" arrives. 
So many books, So little time
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

yahoo -- I am in again also -- I'm going to get some of his earlier works Last Night at the Red Lobster in the meantime -- happy reading to everyone -- see you in June --
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

I just got mine also -- can't wait to read it -- will try Last Night at the Lobster in the meantime -- good luck to everyone --  :0)
Frequent Contributor
CathieS
0 Kudos

I'm in too!!  Sounds like there is going to be a run on Last Night at the Lobster this weekend.  I know I was planning on picking it up also.

Cathie
Inspired Contributor
Linda10
0 Kudos

LillyAndLola wrote:
Whooo-hoooo!  I'm in!  Now I can focus on my job again!  Just have to decide whether I want to approach this new book as a Stewart O'Nan "virgin" or if I'll read some of his other works first.  Any opinions?

I literally JUST got back from the library and almost checked out "Snow Angels."  But I put it back.  I think I just want to be surprised at reading a new author.  So, LillyAndLola, I'll be a virgin along with you.  Any others?

Reader 2
BookSnob7323
0 Kudos

Woo Woo!! Just received my confirmation for my very first "first look book" !! I'm very excited. This will be my first time reading O'Nan, I love reading a new author. I am looking forward to reading and discussing this book with everyone.
Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

I'm Sandy from Lake Minnetonka, MN.  I've spent the winter in Florida but will be home when my FL book arrives.  Just ordered "Prayer for the Dying" by O'Nan and am anxious to check out a new author.  This sounds quite a bit different than the last two FL books.
Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
0 Kudos

HI, I just got my pm and I am in! Ok so I am kind of an old hat at the First Look as I have signed up from the very first one. I will say this one piqued my interest more than the Sister. I look forward to seeing what interesting things you all have to say!
Reader 2
eastrong
0 Kudos

WhooHoo!!!! Just got my notification email for the book. This will be my second time for a first look book. It's so much fun to see what everyone thinks.

I haven't read anything by this author yet. Still undecided if I want to read something else by him first or not.

I live in southern Missouri and read constantly (always at least 2 books going).

I look forward to reading everyone's comments!
Frequent Contributor
nmccarthy
0 Kudos

flamingo wrote:
Yellow envelope arrived - I'm in again.  Love First Look.  Also enjoy the history & garden book clubs.  Might check out some of the other while we wait.  Right now I'm reading "When Crickets Cry"  by somebody Martin.  Can't think of his name but it is a very good book.  Have finished the John Adams book that the history club is now reviewing.  Deep into gardening but may take time to read some other works before "Songs for the Missing" arrives. 

I read Charles Martin's "When Crickets Cry" too. I really enjoyed the book and the symbolism, but I ended up feeling like the main character was just way too perfect - the epitomy of how every man wants to be perceived by women. I'll have to check out the garden book club.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

i feel silly but i am not sure what a pm is. since i just got notified that i am in, i imagine i got a pm too!  also, there is another abbreviation that i am not sure of. what exactly does arc mean?

i will probably feel even sillier when i find out, like how you feel when you ask someone for directions and they point you to a place a few feet away!

no matter, i really enjoy this. i am so happy to have been included.

twj

Message Edited by thewanderingjew on 04-11-2008 04:03 PM
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

pm is private message and arc is advance reading copy

thewanderingjew wrote:

i feel silly but i am not sure what a pm is. since i just got notified that i am in, i imagine i got a pm too!  also, there is another abbreviation that i am not sure of. what exactly does arc mean?

i will probably feel even sillier when i find out, like how you feel when you ask someone for directions and they point you to a place a few feet away!

no matter, i really enjoy this. i am so happy to have been included.

twj

Message Edited by thewanderingjew on 04-11-2008 04:03 PM

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:
pm is private message and arc is advance reading copy
mucho thanks, i just figured out arc but i wouldn't have had a clue about pm. this has been an amazing experience. everyone is so nice and eager to help each other.
twj

Contributor
noannie
0 Kudos

Just received my notification I'm in too. Can't wait until I start reading it. Any other Canadians out there?
Inspired Contributor
ilenekm
0 Kudos

I just got my confirmation. I look forward to reading this book.

I will try to read on schedule this time. I found with 'The Sisters' which I read the first weekend I got the book that it was hard to discuss early chapters without thinking about what happens later. Lets see if I have the willpower to wait :smileyhappy:
Contributor
bookfan08
0 Kudos

Hello! I am April Doane. I am excited to be a part of this First Look book club. I can't wait to begin reading. I read the excerpt and am anxious for the book. Happy Reading!!!
Frequent Contributor
penny70
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am Penny and live in a small city about 60 miles SE of Columbus Ohio.  I am 37 y/o single substitute teacher.  My fist love is and has always been books.  I keep myself really busy and friendly at the library as a trip to the book store puts a serious crimp in my budget .... as I find a $50 trip is cheap and normally, I am upwards of $100-$150 per trip and then they only last me about a week or two.  I have been a member of the FLBC since the beginning and am really looking forward to this story. And, hopefully I'll have a better chance to participate this round as school is out the end of May, LOL.

Hugs,
Penny
Contributor
bookfan08
0 Kudos

I know what you mean. I read the book through in a weekend. I found it hard to go back and discuss earlier chapters. I am going to try to pace my self this time!
Contributor
applelarae
0 Kudos

Hi everybody. I'm very excited about the new book. I was in the last First Look discussion but didn't get a chance to post much. I really hope I signed up in time to get into this one!! My name is Heidi and I live in Central New York.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 240 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: