Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Linda10
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Kanellio65, I just got done reading your post.  You say that "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" is on TV tonight?  I loved that book!  So did my mom.  I hope I'm catching you early enough in the day for you to tell me what time and channel the movie will be shown.  I would LOVE to see it!  If it's on cable, though, I'm dead.  Would appreciate a response.  Thanks!

kanellio65 wrote:

meme1 wrote:
Just finished The Appeal and felt as if several people didn't get a fair shake! And I wondered how much of the story related to the Supreme Court election in WI which had a lot of money from out-of-state sources. Always enjoy when fiction makes me think as well as relate to everyday life. -- So looking forward to our new read in June. Glad to be a part of this book club. I'm a retired teacher and love to have time with my grandchildren who live in NC and AK. When I'm not with them, I spend a lot of time reading - trying to ignore the mundane tasks that need to be done!

I just got my notification that I will get Songs for the Missing and am thrilled! Like a present with no holiday! I am a teacher who retired after 34 years and came back after being out for 8 months and have now worked almost 2 extra years. I envy you your retirement but am pretty sure that even if I go back next year, it will only be until Dec as then I can start getting social security the next year. The expense of health care is what keeps me working. I am waiting for grandchildren from our one child as it is their plan for the near future so I envy you! I am almost finished with The Appeal and can see where it is headed, I think. I am hoping big bad money doesn't win out like it so often does in real like. I am an avid reader and almost addicted to buying books. I have so many bought and not read that I surely do need to retire to find time to read them all. Just wondered how you are enjoying retirement and what you taught. I have mostly done elementary but am currently back in middle school. My favorite author is James Patterson (I know, easy reads but when I am working, I like the luxury of that) but am in a book club with a group of teachers and counselors and we pick good thoughtful books as well. I loved Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Hope you enjoy the new book when it comes. Keep enjoying your retirement...I am hoping for some time to finish The Appeal..oh, and also am reading The Last Lecture as my son knew the professor when he was a student under him at Carnegie Mellon University. It is a quick and amazingly poignant and funny, well written story! If you read The Memory Keepers Daughter it is on TV tonight as a movie...totally enjoyed that book and am anxious to see if they do it justice. Would love to hear from another retired teacher who loves to read. I live in Florida.

Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

I got my confirmation.  Glad to be in for my second first look book club.  I am a high school journalism teacher from Amarillo Texas.  Look forward to reading this book and everyones comments about this book.
Go Cubs Go!
Frequent Contributor
kboston
0 Kudos

Hello all. My name is Kim.  I am new to the First Look book club.
Frequent Contributor
kanellio65
0 Kudos

Linda10......hope you get this in time! The Memory Keeper's Daughter is on tonight, Sat., at 9PM EST on Lifetime television. I know you say you don't get cable so don't know if you get it. We only get basic cable because if not, we would have to have antennae and only get 3 channels or a satellite dish...but we don't pay for extra like HBO and Lifetime is standard cable for us. It is being shown after tonight several times on that channel from what I understand since it is a made for tv movie (how sad a movie made from a book as good as that and with decent actors it seems, can't be in the theaters. I guess not enough violence to make it bring in big money!)...anyway, maybe if you don't get it, you all can check with someone who will have it coming up on their cable and they could tape it for you! Good luck. Our whole book club I belong to here is going to watch as it was one of our monthly choices when it first came out and we also loved the book. GOOD LUCK!:smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
FrankieD
0 Kudos

I just got home from a three day teacher's convention in Manhattan
" The longer I live...the more beautiful life becomes."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Frequent Contributor
FrankieD
0 Kudos

As I was saying before I hit the wrong button...I just got back and found my confirmation...cool!!! Anyway, I'm a soon to retire construction technology (woodshop) teacher on Staten Island and this will be my third time here...and I'm looking forward to starting next month...and will catch up with you all then.
                                                                   FrankieD :smileyhappy:

" The longer I live...the more beautiful life becomes."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

Hello! I'm Rosangela, an avid reader from Brazil. This is my third First Look Book Club and I'm eager to meet you all in Songs for the Missing discussion.

Thank you to this pleasant opportunity again :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
CathieS
0 Kudos

I did go to my local B&N today and bought Last Night at the Lobster.   From reading through the introductions I know a lot of other people were planning on doing the same.  I can't help wonder how far up we've driven sales of his books this weekend.  :smileyhappy:
New User
TexasOkie55
0 Kudos

Hi there! My name is Sherrie B. Ware-Lopez and my domain is Leonard, Tx.  I love to read and am having fun getting my grandchildren interested in reading. The 7 yr. old is thrilled to be reading "chapter books", the 2 yr. old brings me all her books so she can sit in my lap and be read to. My newest grandchild is just 7 weeks old but listens intently when his mom or I speak to him, hoping for another reader. Just found out about B & N book clubs, sounds great. Have never read anything by this author but some of the best books I've ever read were by authors I hadn't ever heard of. See you around.
Frequent Contributor
renhair
0 Kudos

Hey BookSavage....I went to college in Canyon (back when it was WTSU!!).  How is good ol' Amarillo?

BookSavage wrote:
I got my confirmation.  Glad to be in for my second first look book club.  I am a high school journalism teacher from Amarillo Texas.  Look forward to reading this book and everyones comments about this book.

Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

Hi Karen,
I am starting to get a little worried. I sent my request back on the 9th and still no PM. When I go into my sent box, it says "has not been read". A glitch?

Cocospals
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Reader
ketrn
0 Kudos

Hello  I am Kathleen   I live in La Conchita Ca  between Santa Barbara and Ventura.  I work as a trauma nurse at night so I love to read during the day.  I am excited to find out how all of this works.  TTFN Kathleen
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

This is also the first work of O'Nan's that I have read. So I am a "virgin" like you too. The excerpt seems like a good read so I am really excited about starting it. I have never been part of a book club before so I am interested to see how it works and what the discussions are like.
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

SweetReaderMA wrote:
Hi, I am Kristen. I just got my confirmation that I will be a part of this First Look and I am excited. It will be my second one. I was a part of the discussion on The Sister and enjoyed reading about the many perceptions about the book. I am 29 and from Lowell, Massachusetts. I work as a toddler teacher in a daycare center and love to read on my own as well as to the children I work
with.

Can I ask if the daycare center you work at is in Longmeadow? I live in Springfield and I used to work at a daycare center as an all around teacher for infants, toddlers, etc, etc.
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

ketrn wrote:
Hello  I am Kathleen   I live in La Conchita Ca  between Santa Barbara and Ventura.  I work as a trauma nurse at night so I love to read during the day.  I am excited to find out how all of this works.  TTFN Kathleen

Hi, Kathleen, and welcome...
Another Kathleen, here, too. I go by KathyS, and live in the Temecula area of So. Ca.  I'm in this discussion, and if you[or anyone] have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  Karen, our moderator, or Maria, our admin, and the rest of us [old-timers] are here if you need help. 

Hope to see you in...happy reading.

Kathy

Inspired Contributor
gosox
0 Kudos

Hi Jen and welcome,
I too am from Springfield Ma and have many family members and friends that teach in the elementary school system. I presently live in the NH Seacoast area but call Spfld home.
Helen
Reader
Poedog
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi everyone. This will be my first time participating in an online Book discussion and I am looking forward to it. My name is Juli and I see there are loads of people from Virginia. I am in Richmond and I am an avid reader of just about everything. I am very much looking forward to reading this book.

Message Edited by Poedog on 04-13-2008 01:58 PM
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Hi all!  This will be my fourth time participating in the First Look group.  The book sounds very
intriguing.  I am looking forward to the discussion and of course, the reading.  I live in central
New Jersey, have three children and one husband.  My oldest child will be a senior in high school
next September - keeping me busy with the tests, college investigation and tours!  Signing off
until the discussion starts.

CathyB
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Welcome to the club...I hope that you enjoy your first experience here. We have a bunch of great minds on this board and you will find that the discussions are very dynamic. It is nice to meet you.
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Hi Karen, welcome to the club? Are you from Boston? I live in Connecticut...way up in the Northeast corner...Nice to meet you. I hope that you enjoy yourself. This club is great and the discussions are very lively, at least as lively as they can get online...I think you will have a great experience. I look forward to talking with you.
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 285 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: