Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

DebsScott wrote:
Hi y'all.  I would like to suggest a little hint here that would be helpful to both readers and posters:  When you are replying to someone's specific post, click on the "reply" on that specific post and when you come to the reply screen just hit that little white balloon in the tool box (next to the smilies).  By doing this, you not only let the original poster know you are replying to something he/she said, but also helps eliminate confusion in the readers because they can see to what you are replying.  Does that make sense?  LOL 

I just wanted to pass that along to some of the newer posters here who may not know about the "quote" feature.  Happy reading!

It took me awhile to figure out the white box icon when they first put it up. Originally they had the words "quote post" that you could see and click on. It is very helpful of you to pass that along to all the new posters Debs
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Good point. Two little additions:

If you're using Firefox, there's no white balloon, but you click on the Quote Post box.

And if you're replying to a specific part of a message, it keeps things cleaner if you delete the irrelevant part of the message. That way we don't get embedded messages that go on for several screens.

DebsScott wrote:
Hi y'all. I would like to suggest a little hint here that would be helpful to both readers and posters: When you are replying to someone's specific post, click on the "reply" on that specific post and when you come to the reply screen just hit that little white balloon in the tool box (next to the smilies). By doing this, you not only let the original poster know you are replying to something he/she said, but also helps eliminate confusion in the readers because they can see to what you are replying. Does that make sense? LOL
I just wanted to pass that along to some of the newer posters here who may not know about the "quote" feature. Happy reading!

0 Kudos

Greetings fellow readers.  I am an aspiring teacher and proud cat owner from New Jersey.  This is my third First Look Book Club.  I enjoyed The House at Riverton so much that I signed up for The Sister.  Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed with The Sister.  However, I am willing to take a risk again with this new selection. 
New User
joycemck
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Joyce from Houston (soon to be Laredo).  I stumbled on this site while trying to find some activities to join in Laredo once we're able to sell our home here and I can re-unite with my husband who's already down there in our new home <pout> 

So... not finding any book reading clubs, knitting clubs, crochet clubs, bead societies, or pretty much anything to do in Laredo, I'm looking for happiness on-line.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone, and especially this book.  The excerpt sounds like a gread read!

Joyce
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

BookSavage wrote:
My wife grew up in San Angelo as well, she is one here as onecunninggirl. She graduated from Central in 99

blkeyesuzi wrote:

renhair wrote:
Where in West Texas? I went to high school in Kermit (my mother still lives there) and my sister lives in Andrews.....anywhere near you?
There seem to be many Texas people in this group.....very cool!:smileyhappy:

starlasims wrote:
Hello everyone, I am so excited I just got my pm! This is my first time. My name is Starla & I am from a small town in West Texas. I am an avid reader & am looking forward to this.

Yep, I'm a Texas girl myself! I grew up in San Angelo.

Small world, huh? Nice to meet you. I look forward to discussing the book with ya'all.
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thanks Everyman,
Also there's no balloon if your on Safari, but you can click the quote box so I guess that means us Mac users don't get to sign with little smiley faces. Boo Hoo
Contributor
shesha35
0 Kudos

Alicia in Illinois here.Can't wait for the book.This will be my first time doing this.
Contributor
fictionhound
0 Kudos

DebsScott wrote:
Hi y'all.  I would like to suggest a little hint here that would be helpful to both readers and posters:  When you are replying to someone's specific post, click on the "reply" on that specific post and when you come to the reply screen just hit that little white balloon in the tool box (next to the smilies).  By doing this, you not only let the original poster know you are replying to something he/she said, but also helps eliminate confusion in the readers because they can see to what you are replying.  Does that make sense?  LOL 

I just wanted to pass that along to some of the newer posters here who may not know about the "quote" feature.  Happy reading!

thank you, thank you, thank you!!! i have been wondering how to do that. now my replies will make so much more sense. i am excited about the new book. i have so enjoyed the first look program.
Contributor
pjmama
0 Kudos

KxBurns wrote:

Hi everyone, and welcome to the First Look book club for Stewart O'Nan's Songs for the Missing. I'm Karen, your moderator, and I'm thrilled to be back for another First Look!

Why don't you all use this space to introduce yourselves and get to know each other?

Message Edited by KxBurns on 04-08-2008 11:33 AM

Hi Everybody--
I'm Sharla from SD and this is my 2nd opportunity with First Look. I'm really looking forward to reading Songs for the Missing and sharing discussion.
New User
tink5159
0 Kudos

Hi everyone -  My name is Arlene and I have only recently joined a book club in my neighborhood.   I am enjoying it so much that I decided to try this online one.   Looking forward to meeting all of you.
Arlene
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

You can do the smiley faces, or at least some of them, with keyboard codes.

For example, : ) (without the space between them) gives :smileyhappy:

; ) gives :smileywink:

: o gives :smileysurprised:

: D gives :smileyvery-happy:

There may be others, too, but those are the main ones I use when the spirit moves me.

dhaupt wrote:
Thanks Everyman,
Also there's no balloon if your on Safari, but you can click the quote box so I guess that means us Mac users don't get to sign with little smiley faces. Boo Hoo

0 Kudos

Perhaps so, but hey...
as long as I can use my MAC. :-)

I'll take that trade. LOL
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
You can do the smiley faces, or at least some of them, with keyboard codes.

For example, : ) (without the space between them) gives :smileyhappy:

; ) gives :smileywink:

: o gives :smileysurprised:

: D gives :smileyvery-happy:

There may be others, too, but those are the main ones I use when the spirit moves me.

dhaupt wrote:
Thanks Everyman,

NO WAY!!! I've been doing my smiley faces wrong!!! Let me try.....

:smileyhappy:
:smileysurprised:
:smileyvery-happy:
8)
Suzi

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt - Manual smiley set-up

dhaupt wrote:
Thanks Everyman,

dhaupt, even if you don't have the little icon program that shows the smiley faces, you should be able to do it manually.  I'm guessing on your computer.  But try it.  If anyone doesn't know how to do it manually, here are a few little happy faces to play with. 
Just make sure, in your personal profile preferences, you enable this manual 'smiley' program, to which ever one you want to show up.  Yellow smiley, or robot, or man, or woman.   It should work [it says in the fine print] :smileyvery-happy:  Also, remember NOT to put a dash for the nose.  :-) We know what it says, but  it won't give you the icon.  And put NO space between these symbols. 

colon with the right parenthesis is the smile.  :smileyhappy:
colon with the left parenthesis is the frown.  :smileysad:
colon with the D is the laugh. :smileyvery-happy:
semicolon with either parenthesis will give you a wink :smileywink:
colon with the P is the tongue sticking out :smileytongue:
colon with the O will give you the surprised look :smileysurprised:
I don't know all of them.

Anyway, I hope it works for you.   :smileyhappy:

Also, for those who have long monikers, and want your real name, or a permanent SIGNATURE AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR POST -  OR A QUOTEThis is also in your personal profile section. 

Happy playing!

Kathy S.
Contributor
Johanna88
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! I am looking forward to reading this book and enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed all of the other previous first look books. By far my favorite one has to be the House at Riverton, but let's see if this new book becomes my new favorite. I hope that we all have a great time and happy readings to all.
New User
Jolie
0 Kudos

Hi, all. I just learned I'll get to be reading with you. This will be my first First Look and the story seems intriguing.

A little about me -- I'm in the Boulder area, I'm a writer (news), I'm currently culturing a new reader (age 6) and I generally swallow books whole (explains the dark circles under the eyes). I'm looking forward to talking to y'all more.

Jolie
Frequent Contributor
pheath
0 Kudos

PattyJean wrote:
Anyone out there from Indiana? I reside in a small rural farming community in northwest Indiana.

I'm in Texas, but I have a lot of family scattered in the northwest quadrant of Indiana. I've probably heard of the town you live in.
-Philip
Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

Bonnie824 wrote:

DebsScott wrote:

It took me awhile to figure out the white box icon when they first put it up. Originally they had the words "quote post" that you could see and click on. It is very helpful of you to pass that along to all the new posters Debs

I use Safari and I don't get any little white balloon or a tool box or smiles. Or am I not understanding where I should look. On my screen I get a box which says quote post. And you can see I also get extra info with the quoted post. Help!
meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

meme1 wrote:

Bonnie824 wrote:

DebsScott wrote:

I use Safari and I don't get any little white balloon or a tool box or smiles. Or am I not understanding where I should look. On my screen I get a box which says quote post. And you can see I also get extra info with the quoted post. Help!

Oops! The extra info does not show up on the post - only on my screen when I'm writing the post. Sorry.
meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
wbarker
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I just learned about this First Look Book today, and submitted my information via PM.  I really hope to get the book and participate in the book club.

A little about me:

I live in Washington State, near Seattle.  I'm married and our son is now 16 months old (he was a Christmas Eve baby).

I love reading and crafts, and enjoy working in the yard.

I enjoy reading all types of books, and especially enjoy reading new authors.  I am involved in two bookclubs right not, not including this one.  One is an in-person club, where we have been meeting for over 5 years.  The other is a bookclub I started in an online forum.  We are just starting our second book.

I think this is a great oppotunity to read a new book and to read about other reader's perspectives.

:smileyhappy:
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 69 members 583 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: