Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Sdf1966
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hi Everyone,  I am so excited to get started!  This is my first time for "FIRST LOOK".  I am a part time student and a stay at home housewife and mother of two wonderful kids.  Well, I guess their not kids.  My son is 20 and my daughter is 17.  I have never done a book club before but I love to read, cross stitch and making homemade bread. Again, I can't wait to get started! Denice
New User
BeetleBabe1357
0 Kudos

Hi all, I'm looking forward to participating in First Look as I've never done a book club before, online or otherwise. I live in the Boston area with my husband and two teenage sons and enjoy reading, knitting, gardening, and quilting.
Frequent Contributor
kanellio65
0 Kudos

Wonder how many teachers are here? This is my second book also and am hoping with school being out I will have more time on the discussion boards!

Welcome fellow teacher! I teach Reading in middle school in Florida. My 36th year! I retired and came back after 8 months but think this will be my last year for sure, for good! I need more time to READ! I love books so much and this book club is such fun! Have several fellow teachers all getting the book and we can't wait to discuss it. Hope you will join in!
Frequent Contributor
kanellio65
0 Kudos

amyvancura wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm Amy. I'm a teacher in North Carolina and an avid reader. This is my first "First Look" book/event and I'm really excited! Like most of you I read the synopsis of the book and I can't wait to get my hands on it. It looks amazing! I look forward to taking part in the discussion. :smileyhappy:

Hi, Amy! Where do you teach in NC? I have a cousin starting a second career and will be teaching in Charlotte come August. See my #363 message...we should start a teacher thread once the book comes! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

melindaproza wrote:
Hello! My name is Melinda and I live in Texas. This will be my first book club, too and I'm so very excited!

This board is filled with Texans.  Where in Texas are you located?  I live in Amarillo.
Go Cubs Go!
Contributor
BusyMom
0 Kudos

Hi. I'm Janine from South Carolina.  This is my first time and I'm so excited.  and I have no idea what I'm doing so please be patient with me!
Be Yourself. Be Beautiful.
New User
angelica_rajewski
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!
I am so anxious to be part of this group. This is my second time being part of the First Look Club. However, was unable to post for the Sister for when the posting first began, I was in the hospital having my second daughter and well needless to say things got hectic then. So I am back into a routine and anxious to read and participate in this one!
Angel
Reader
CarriesClassics
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm Carrie, and I just received confirmation that I will be able to participate in my first First Look discussion.  O'Nan is a new author to me, and I look forward to reading "Songs for the Missing".
Frequent Contributor
LisaMM
0 Kudos

Does anyone know when the books are going to ship? Just curious (and anxious!)

~Lisa
Books on the Brain
www.lisamm.wordpress.com
Contributor
olivia-yasmin
0 Kudos

I can't stand the suspense! I hope we get the book soon.

On another note it would be nice to have a First Look Club for younger readers. I have been sharing my anticipation with my 12 year old nephew who thinks it is the greatest idea ever. He said, "You mean you get to talk about the book before the sell it at the store?"  I read him the selection from Songs for the Missing and his response was:

"That's it! I would write that author and tell him to send the rest."
Reader
amyvancura
0 Kudos

Hi kanellio65,

I am teaching in Harnett County (about 1 hour east of Raleigh, NC). We are a couple of hours from Charlotte. I think a teacher thread is a great idea!!! It doesn't surprise me that there are a bunch of teachers on here. One of the reasons I became a teacher was to instill the love of reading that I have in as many children as possible! Best of luck to your cousin.

Amy
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Lisa,
they'll announce it, here, when they start to ship.
Kathy S.

LisaMM wrote:
Does anyone know when the books are going to ship? Just curious (and anxious!)

~Lisa
Books on the Brain

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

LOL! 
Olivia,
once in a while you do get more than just a little excerpt.  Depends. Tell your nephew that WE WILL get more, soon -  He'll have to wait until your book is sent to YOU! :smileyhappy:

Happy reading ~
Kathy S.

olivia-yasmin wrote:
I can't stand the suspense! I hope we get the book soon.

On another note it would be nice to have a First Look Club for younger readers. I have been sharing my anticipation with my 12 year old nephew who thinks it is the greatest idea ever. He said, "You mean you get to talk about the book before the sell it at the store?"  I read him the selection from Songs for the Missing and his response was:

"That's it! I would write that author and tell him to send the rest."

Frequent Contributor
tgem
0 Kudos

koolaidmom: Welcome. And thanks for the link to librarything.  I checked out the cataloging part of it - is it very interactive?  Would you share a little bit about your experience with it? 

Thanks

tgem

thekoolaidmom wrote:
Hello!  My name is Alisha, and I heard about First Look on www.librarything.com.  I'm a single mom of three great girls, and love to read. (Duh... I'm here, right?)  I'm 34, live in Indiana, and like most genres. 

Oh... and I love free books ;-D

Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce
0 Kudos

I love the idea of a teacher thread!!  I think there must be quite a few of us on here! I have noticed  a number of us introducing ourselves specifically as Middle School teachers. What a discussion that will be!

Thanks for thinking of it!

Claudia

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body."
Sir Richard Steele

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I hope a former English teacher would be allowed to be part of it!

ClaudiaLuce wrote:
I love the idea of a teacher thread!! I think there must be quite a few of us on here! I have noticed a number of us introducing ourselves specifically as Middle School teachers. What a discussion that will be!
Thanks for thinking of it!
Claudia
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body."
Sir Richard Steele

0 Kudos

PattyJean wrote:

Hi, Jason! Welcome to First Look. This will be my second book and I can't wait to get mine. You sound familiar to me. Do you by any chance teach school like I do? I can't wait to May so school will be out AND so our First Look book will get here. It is fun to read something before everyone else can get to it and writing the review is also a nice touch! Have a great weekend!:smileyvery-happy:

Wonder how many teachers are here? This is my second book also and am hoping with school being out I will have more time on the discussion boards!

I am sure there are a lot of teachers here! I am one! Love to read but time is an issue. I am glad that I will get to participate during summer months this round. Although I am taking classes the first part of June.
Contributor
NavyAirMom
0 Kudos

Good Morning,
   My name is Theresa and I am here in beautiful Southern California.  I am so looking forward to receiving this new book.  I thoroughly got caught up in The Sister.   It was my first experience with First Look and the discussion boards were a bit overwhelming for me.  Now that I am a "seasoned" First Look reader, I think it will be a little easier to keep up. Thank you for giving us readers a fantastic venue to take our enjoyment of reading one step further.  It is an awesome experience to have so many people to discuss the same book with.
Happy reading!!!
Theresa

My quote for the day...
"WE MAKE PLANS, GOD LAUGHS!"
-author unknown
New User
condrens
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Shelley Condren and this is my first First Look.  I am very excited!!!
Contributor
Ladyhawk
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!
I am Laura and I live in colorful Colorado.  I have been fortunate to participate in last few First Look bookclubs.  I really enjoy finding new authors and sharing the ones I like with my friends and family.  I am not a person who picks the story apart looking for the hidden message, but I do enjoy sharing my thoughts and feelings about the story.
I am looking forward to reading the new book.  I have not read the excerpt because I do not like to know ahead of time what the story line is.
I can't wait for my ARC to get here. 
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 583 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: