Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
lavender
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hi,
My name is Lisa and I live in Seattle. "Songs For the Missing" is the first book I've been given the pleasure to preview for B&N, and I'm really excited. It's great (yeah, I read the whole thing in about a day-and-a-half, I admit it...).

I'm a compulsive reader; my husband and I have tons of books and I read all the time. I'm currently dealing with my third bout of cancer and books help keep my mind off everything that's going on in that regard (and I can take them to my appointments and treatments, which are frequent). I stay up way too late reading!

I also love to cook and garden, and when I feel up to it, run, practice yoga and Pilates and travel. Nice to meet you!

Lisa
Contributor
Lady_Graeye
0 Kudos

lavender wrote:
Hi,
My name is Lisa and I live in Seattle. "Songs For the Missing" is the first book I've been given the pleasure to preview for B&N, and I'm really excited. It's great (yeah, I read the whole thing in about a day-and-a-half, I admit it...).
I'm a compulsive reader; my husband and I have tons of books and I read all the time. I'm currently dealing with my third bout of cancer and books help keep my mind off everything that's going on in that regard (and I can take them to my appointments and treatments, which are frequent). I stay up way too late reading!
I also love to cook and garden, and when I feel up to it, run, practice yoga and Pilates and travel. Nice to meet you!
Lisa

Hello Lisa, I am Lisa too from Missouri! Welcome! I am sorry to hear about your health. My oldest daughter (27) just got diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I commend you for your strength! I, too, have had my share of health problems but anyone knows... people with the name of "Lisa" are strong, wise and women who can deal with anything ! So again, welcome! Lisa ( Lady_Graeye )
"You Can Never Own Too Many Books; It's Just Not Possible!!!"
New User
Glen44
0 Kudos

Hi,
My name is Glenna and I live in Central California.  I didn't want to post until I had finished
reading the book.  I like to read it before any one tells me what happens.  I have just learned
about this club and this is the first book I have read.  I hope there are more, it is fun.   I really enjoyed the
book.  Hello to everyone.
New User
slowReader
0 Kudos

Hi, this is my first book club, not sure I know what I'm doing yet. I'm from Connecticut and I receive my copy of "Song for the Missing " and am currently halfway through, I look forward to this experience

KxBurns
0 Kudos

lavender wrote:
Hi,

Lisa

Welcome, Lisa! I hope this experience can you provide you with the distraction and relaxation you need to stay strong :smileyhappy:
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi fellow readers,

Just to tell you how pleased I was to have got the book in France. I never thought that it would work out and it did! I already read it and I really felt like being in the United states. Thank B&N.

Message Edited by chadadanielleKR on 06-05-2008 01:09 AM
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Message Edited by chadadanielleKR on 06-05-2008 01:05 AM
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

chadadanielleKR,

So glad you are able to join us!

Reader
budrfly9
0 Kudos

My name is Leah and I just love to read. 
New User
dklmarkee
0 Kudos

Hi, sorry about the late hello. I'm Debi, from Michigan, an avid reader. I have trouble navigating forums, so you'll have to have a bit of patience with me.

I look forward to discussing Songs for the Living with you all.
Reader
goofyamkim
0 Kudos

Hi everyone-my name is Angie and I'm from Ohio. Can't wait to get in to this book. I read quite a bit. Anything I can get my hands on. This is the first time I've participated in a first look review-thanks for the opportunity BN!
New User
143mybzs
0 Kudos

This is my first time in the book club.  I received my book a couple of weeks ago and read it the first weekend.  I enjoyed the book.   Coming from a small town myself, it was interesting to see the correlations between this small town and my memories of growing up in one.  It is so true that everyone knows you and your business, whether you want them to or not.  However, I will say it kept alot of the kids out of trouble!  I look forward to the discussions of this book.  :smileyvery-happy:
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

angelica_rajewski wrote:
Hello Everyone!
I am so anxious to be part of this group. This is my second time being part of the First Look Club. However, was unable to post for the Sister for when the posting first began, I was in the hospital having my second daughter and well needless to say things got hectic then. So I am back into a routine and anxious to read and participate in this one!
Angel

Angel -- congratulations! Hope you will be able to find some time to post!

I am just now plowing through a few welcomes and introductions each day as I try to keep up with the new postings.

Pepper
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
jomuse
0 Kudos

HI,
My name is Jo and I enjoy reading.
New User
universehall
0 Kudos

Hey! I see I should have joined up earlier - I have some message reading to catch up on! My name's Jamie and I live in Chicago. I'm married, I work in higher education, and I've never read a Stewart O'Nan novel before. My reading tastes lately have revolved around small-town life, so this book actually fit into that, in a strange sort of way!
Frequent Contributor
Litfan
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm a bit late to the party. I live in Virginia. This was my first O'Nan book and I really enjoyed it. Read it in 2 days, and was totally immersed in it. Look forward to the discussion.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Litfan wrote:
Hi, I'm a bit late to the party. I live in Virginia. This was my first O'Nan book and I really enjoyed it. Read it in 2 days, and was totally immersed in it. Look forward to the discussion.

It's never too late. Welcome.

Bentley
Contributor
dcw888
0 Kudos

Hi all,
My name is Denise and I'm in Connecticut.  Songs for the Missing is my first B&N book to discuss, and I'm quite excited!  It's also my first Stewart O'Nan work and I am so happy to have been introduced to his latest book.  I confess, I'm only halfway through it -- but that's due to family and work obligations and NOT a reflection on Mr. O'Nan's writing LOL.  I have a husband, 3 cats, and 2 children (and I am only allowed to read 5 pages in between each crisis).  I work for a University in the systems department and can often be found surfing book sites or reading during my lunch hour.

Anyway, I probably won't visit much until I've finished the book -- but I am planning to have it finished in time for the discussion with the author himself!

Denise
Reader 2
marinajw
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Marina. I live in Tennessee, I love to read almost anything, I have been married for 15 years no children but we keep on praying. I have read my copy and enjoyed it immensely. I love J.D Robb, Nora Roberts, Iris Johansen, Sherilyn Kenyon just to name a few lol:smileyhappy:. I run my own small business, we garden and loves our little dogs and 3 love birds. I am so excited I just learned how to post and I'm new to first look this is my first look and I hope its not my last because its true you can never have too many books. Im looking forward to the discussions. Thanks Marina
KxBurns
0 Kudos

Welcome guys! Jump on in on our book discussion threads whenever you're ready :smileyhappy:
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 297 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: