Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

EC
Frequent Contributor
EC
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hi Karen,
For some reason, I did not get notification of the June First Look Selection for Songs of the Missing. I just happen to see it in the Discussions listings so I did request an ARC copy. Is there anyway to make sure I am still on the list? I don't want to miss out. I really love to read and enjoy reading the discussions people have on them. Thank you so much!
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

I haven't seen that ANYONE has gotten confirmation yet. It takes a few days, especially after the initial onslaught of signups, to get the PM's out (just from previous experience of other signups). Most do start commenting in the threads when the PM's go out!! All we can do...is keep checking for that Yellow envelope to show up!! :-)
Contributor
chickletta
0 Kudos

Hello all

I'm a freelance writer and I heard about BN's First Look through LibraryThing. I've been a bookworm all my life, books are the reason I acquired a thick pair of glasses (ok contacts now), a love of language and a concept that heaven must be a book-lined, all-you-can-borrow library. Heh :smileyhappy:

The excerpt from Songs for the Missing was very interesting, and I can't wait to get the ARC and start reading. From the messages it looks like not everyone who sends a message gets a hold of the books, so for the next few days you can be sure I'll be walking around with my fingers crossed :smileyvery-happy:

Anyhow, going through the threads, it was great to see how supportive and friendly everyone seems to be... I'm so glad to be here and hope to meet tons of fellow bookworms.

Take care yall
Chickletta
Frequent Contributor
SleightGirl
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Joan and I really enjoyed the last book and I can't wait to start reading this one.:smileyvery-happy:
New User
astrochic
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Rita langner. I am a mom of 5 and an astrologer. I am an avid reader of almost any subject, you name it , I will read it. I am pleased to be part of this site!
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

Hi, this is Jen. I am also from around that area, I am from Springfield, MA. I am very excited about First Look. This is my first time here and I posted yesterday, so I hope I get in. I teach here in Springfield and I love reading to my students. I also love to grab a good book and sit on my couch with the windows open (when its warm out) and just read. I love being caught up in the story and not thinking about anything else. I am excited to join this discussion.
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Reader
rspoiledyorkies
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! Hopefully we will all be blessed with a copy of this book. It really looks like a great read.
Have a wonderful evening.
Robin from KC
Reader 2
BetteH
0 Kudos

Hello,

My naTme is Mara, I missed the cut off for The Sister but have been watching faithfully for the next First Look Book Club.  I hope I will make the cut off.  The book sounds awesome.  I am currently part of The Sonambulist book club and so far it has not let me down.  I look forward to reading and discussing this book with the rest of you.
Treasure Life
New User
djohns64
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,
This is the first time that I have signed up for the book club. I am married, have two adult married children and have two grandchildren on the way. I live in a small North Georgia town. Where carpet is the number one industry.
I love to read so I am looking forward to being a part of this group.

Diann
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

hi,
coincidentally, we both have the same first name and were both trying to sign in for the first look at the same exact time. for some reason, i also had trouble signing in so i thought the messages that were being posted were about me posting my personal info. i couldn't figure out what i was doing wrong. it turns out it wasn't me, after all, but all is well that ends well. i hope we both get in to the group.
twj

gmfuhlman wrote:
I agree I have been here from the start and today and I hope I get in since I was having a hard time this morning in sign in.  I never have had problems signing in before.  I guess I was so excised to read the next selection that I did everything wrong.  I hope I get in this time.  Because I really love reading all types of books for enjoyment.

gmfuhlman

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

do you know if there are any underground book clubs in other places? according to the website, it exists only in rhode island.

zwieback wrote:
Hi Maria,

The Underground Book Club has a website where you are told what the next book is and if you are intrigued you can read it and then if you are interested in discussing it you email the director. If there is still space for you at that point then you are in for that meeting and you get a message the day before telling you what the location will be.

When you get to the meeting you may see a couple of familiar faces but there are always some fresh ones as well, which is what makes it interesting. You also end up visiting different spots around the state that you may never have ventured to otherwise.

I've made it to several meetings, two of which were attended by the author of the book being discussed. Those were both sensational in their own unique ways.

New User
netspursfan123
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Edwin and from Texas, I love reading and this will be the first time I receive a book from the first look selection. The excerpt sounds great, looking forward to getting to read and discuss it.
New User
pattisw
0 Kudos

Hello all,Im Patti.I have lived in Michigan all of my life.I am married,36 years this year,have 2 kids both grown and gone and 3 grandbabies.
I am an avid reader,mostly thrillers and mysteries.I usually read 4 or 5 novels a week,mostly while my husband is watching crummy hunting and fishing shows in the evening,Lol
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

bookloverjb85 wrote:
Hi, this is Jen. I am also from around that area, I am from Springfield, MA. I am very excited about First Look. This is my first time here and I posted yesterday, so I hope I get in. I teach here in Springfield and I love reading to my students. I also love to grab a good book and sit on my couch with the windows open (when its warm out) and just read. I love being caught up in the story and not thinking about anything else. I am excited to join this discussion.

It's nice to meet you, Jen. =)
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

Good Morning from High Point, NJ

Good Morning,

I am Doug from High Point, New Jersey. I have really enjoyed the works of Stewart O'Nan. I was involved in the discussion of his most recent novel "Last Night at the Lobster", which I thought was amazing in its insights into the low apying part of the service sector of our economy. Doug
Frequent Contributor
bookhunter
0 Kudos

djohns64 wrote:
Hi everyone,
This is the first time that I have signed up for the book club. I am married, have two adult married children and have two grandchildren on the way. I live in a small North Georgia town. Where carpet is the number one industry.
I love to read so I am looking forward to being a part of this group.

Diann

Hey Diann!  I am just up the road ("Peacock Alley!") from you in the town where everyone comes to get married.  I look forward to reading the book and discussing with you. 

Ann, bookhunter
Contributor
Shelsie
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!  My name is Shelsie and I'm looking forward to reading Songs for the Missing.  This is my second First Look book~ I loved The Monsters of Templeton!
New User
ElyseInNY
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Elyse,  an artist from upstate NY. This is my first-First Look. Looking forward to it.
Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

Am I the only one from the Chicago area??
Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
New User
glmccall27
0 Kudos

hello everyone, this book looks great! i hope you all enjoy reading as much as i do and i look forward to discussing different books with you.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 299 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: