Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
va-BBoomer
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Hi, I'm Virginia, and I have received the confirmation for this book; this is my second First Read.  I hope I can come in on schedule; got a bad stomach bug and was sick the entire first week of The Sister, so that has put me way behind and unable to post.  I am also doing History Club with John Adams and Teapot Dome Scandal - both very interesting.
Have talked to several of you - I am a born and bred New Englander - MA, with family tree in ME - and been in NY 20 1/2 years - working in Manhattan and living in Yonkers.
Glad to be here: can't wait to get the book.  This is my first O'Nan.
Contributor
LillyAndLola
0 Kudos

You're not alone in feeling silly (but I think feeling silly is good!).  I thought the "yellow envelope" referred to the envelope the book would arrive in!!  There are a lot of us just stumbling our way through this.  Should be fun!
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Katie from central Virginia (Charlottesville). Songs for the Missing will be my second First Look as a participant (I thought The Sister was ambitious in interesting ways, although I didn't love it)--but I heard so many good things about The Monsters of Templeton that I checked that out of the library and really enjoyed it and am waiting for The House at Riverton as well.

I was not familiar with Stewart O'Nan at all until this club was announced--then I went to the library and checked out Last Night at the Lobster, which I found to be a very enjoyable read and very neatly composed, and Snow Angels, which I am planning on reading before June but probably after I get my term papers done. While I'm procrastinating on writing, I'm also participating in the Villette board and reading Mario Vargas Llosa's The Bad Girl. I'm really looking forward to reading this book with you all!
Frequent Contributor
kanellio65
0 Kudos

Linda10 wrote:

LillyAndLola wrote:
Whooo-hoooo! I'm in! Now I can focus on my job again! Just have to decide whether I want to approach this new book as a Stewart O'Nan "virgin" or if I'll read some of his other works first. Any opinions?

I literally JUST got back from the library and almost checked out "Snow Angels." But I put it back. I think I just want to be surprised at reading a new author. So, LillyAndLola, I'll be a virgin along with you. Any others?

This is my second First Look Book and I was so thrilled to see that orange envelope message! I have checked several times daily and was so happy I got in. I had just sent an email from a friend in which I was asked to forward it to 9 "angels" (friends) and in 9 minutes something good that I had been waiting for would happen. It was just about 9 minutes when I saw I got the book! Hope that means we are all in for a great read cause I know it sure gave me goosebumps!
I agree with you, Linda10, I want this book to be the first one I read of O'Nan's so I guess, LillyAndLola, you can add me to your group! I can tell already that this one will be better than The Sister! I found it so hard to get through those moths to find the story. I don't mind really reading, but don't want to have to work quite that hard to enjoy a good book! Happy waiting!
Reader 2
chefdjsb
0 Kudos

Hi All,

this is my first experience with the book club and i'm super excited to read not only the book but what you all can contribute to it!

thanks for the great opportunity, everyone please have a great weekend!

djsb
Frequent Contributor
thefamilymanager
0 Kudos

Good Afternoon All!

I'm Lisa from Colorado.  Just got my pm that I'm IN!  This will be my third First Look but second to participate.  I had too many things going on to participate very much in the first one.  I'm looking forward to this again.  I'm also quite a book-a-holic. I have to be reading at least one or two books all the time.  Right now I'm re-reading all The Chronicles of Narnia in the proper order as well as reading the new John Grisham book, The Appeal.  I love all kinds of books except horror.

I have 2 teenagers - 1 learning how to drive. :smileysurprised: a dog, and a hubby. I also help my 80 year old mom with her appts., etc.  Hopefully this book will be quite a ride.  It really sounds great!  Can't wait to start talking with all of you!  See you all in June!

Lisa

LMD

- if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with! - Dorothy - Wizard of OZ
Contributor
Teapharm03
0 Kudos

Hi...I just signed up to be a part of the book club for "Songs for the Missing." I am so excited and can't wait to get the book. I look forward to June..
Teapharmo3
Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

Hi! I just got my pm I'm in.  I wasn't able to participate for the Sister, I hope to be able to particpate for book. It sounds really good.
:smileyhappy:
Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

wow, thanks for the heads up. i have suddenly and unexpectedly started to get an unusual amount of junk mail so now i am wondering if that site was the culprit! luckily, no virus came up!
twj

vivico1 wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:
do you know if there are any underground book clubs in other places? according to the website, it exists only in rhode island.
be careful what you click on, on that site. I found that too after the talk about it and clicked around on the Rhode Island site and something pop up came up, even tho I have popup blockers and when I tried to close it, it tried to run anyway and my BitDefender caught it right then and flagged me it was a VIRUS trying to get into my computer! If you do not have a good AntiVirus program and that pop up comes, your in trouble cause It won't let you just hit the X to close it or cancel, anything you click will set it in action. BE CAREFUL folks!

Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

Just finished The Appeal and felt as if several people didn't get a fair shake! And I wondered how much of the story related to the Supreme Court election in WI which had a lot of money from out-of-state sources. Always enjoy when fiction makes me think as well as relate to everyday life. -- So looking forward to our new read in June. Glad to be a part of this book club. I'm a retired teacher and love to have time with my grandchildren who live in NC and AK. When I'm not with them, I spend a lot of time reading - trying to ignore the mundane tasks that need to be done!
meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
Mary1234
0 Kudos

Hi, Everyone!
I just signed up for  SONGS OF THE MISSING. I am looking forward to reading  it and contributing to the discussion.
Mary
Inspired Contributor
abbyg7
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,
I'm Abby from Michigan.  I'm excited to be part of First Look again.  I didn't get very involved in the last two discussions, so I hope to be more involved in this one.  I love to read, but haven't been getting through as many books lately, maybe two or three a month.  I have a hubby, two sons, one wonderful daughter-in-law, and another lovely soon to be daughter-in-law(this July) and two crazy and spoiled rotten dogs.  I haven't read any other books by this author yet, but have heard good things about him.  I will probably run to Barnes and Noble this weekend and see which of his books they have.
Reader
kandrews
0 Kudos

I'm new here, and glad to be participating in the June First Look book club. I read and review lots of books and was happy to find out about this club. I don't have a blog yet, but hope to get one up soon.
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Hi, Everyone--I'm Joan in Central New York and I got my confirmation letter today, too.  This will be my fourth First Look book and it sounds like a very good one.  I'm looking forward to reading it and discussing it with all of you.  Oh, yes, I'm married (almost 46 years!), have 3 grown sons and 8 grandchildren.  I live in a rural area, where I'm able to indulge my 2 passions--horses and reading.  I have 3 horses, a dog and a barn cat.  I'm retired and living my version of the good life--nothing fancy about it, but then, there's nothing fancy about me, either!

Happy reading, all; "see" you again in June!

Joan 
Reader
Irisheyz77
0 Kudos

Hi. I just signed up recently for the B&N first look program and just learned that I am going to receive this month's selection. I'm so excited as it sounds like an interesting read.

~ Irish
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.  I got my PM so I'm in this one, this will be my 3rd.  I've lived in North St. Louis County for 30 yrs and have "grown people" who visit my house :womanvery-happy:  I've enjoyed reading and discussing the books and look forward to this one also.
Frequent Contributor
kanellio65
0 Kudos

meme1 wrote:
Just finished The Appeal and felt as if several people didn't get a fair shake! And I wondered how much of the story related to the Supreme Court election in WI which had a lot of money from out-of-state sources. Always enjoy when fiction makes me think as well as relate to everyday life. -- So looking forward to our new read in June. Glad to be a part of this book club. I'm a retired teacher and love to have time with my grandchildren who live in NC and AK. When I'm not with them, I spend a lot of time reading - trying to ignore the mundane tasks that need to be done!

I just got my notification that I will get Songs for the Missing and am thrilled! Like a present with no holiday! I am a teacher who retired after 34 years and came back after being out for 8 months and have now worked almost 2 extra years. I envy you your retirement but am pretty sure that even if I go back next year, it will only be until Dec as then I can start getting social security the next year. The expense of health care is what keeps me working. I am waiting for grandchildren from our one child as it is their plan for the near future so I envy you! I am almost finished with The Appeal and can see where it is headed, I think. I am hoping big bad money doesn't win out like it so often does in real like. I am an avid reader and almost addicted to buying books. I have so many bought and not read that I surely do need to retire to find time to read them all. Just wondered how you are enjoying retirement and what you taught. I have mostly done elementary but am currently back in middle school. My favorite author is James Patterson (I know, easy reads but when I am working, I like the luxury of that) but am in a book club with a group of teachers and counselors and we pick good thoughtful books as well. I loved Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Hope you enjoy the new book when it comes. Keep enjoying your retirement...I am hoping for some time to finish The Appeal..oh, and also am reading The Last Lecture as my son knew the professor when he was a student under him at Carnegie Mellon University. It is a quick and amazingly poignant and funny, well written story! If you read The Memory Keepers Daughter it is on TV tonight as a movie...totally enjoyed that book and am anxious to see if they do it justice. Would love to hear from another retired teacher who loves to read. I live in Florida.
New User
kkondek
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!

My name is Katherine and I am quite excited about this! I'm an avid book reader and can't believe I didn't know about this sooner. I've actually never been part of any sort of book club so I look forward to being able to read and share with others my thoughts and feelings about the book. :-)
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Hi everyone: I am Cheryl from Spokane, WA. I just received my PM confirming I am in. I can't wait to get started reading Songs for the Missing. I love First Look and have enjoyed each one - this is number four for me. It has been a great way to expand my reading and share with others. Thanks B & N for another great opportunity. 
CAG
Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

For many years I taught high school English, but the last 12 years I was the K-12 librarian in a small school. -- My husband and I retired the same year - almost ten years ago - and we LOVE retirement. We travel as much as we can afford - maybe sometimes more than we can afford - and spend at least a month in the warm climates. Our favorite spot is Orange Beach, AL.-- I enjoyed both the Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns.I'm not sure I have a favorite author, but I enjoy Lescroat, Flynn, Russo, and the list goes on and on!

kanellio65 wrote:

meme1 wrote:

I just got my notification that I will get Songs for the Missing and am thrilled! Like a present with no holiday! I am a teacher who retired after 34 years and came back after being out for 8 months and have now worked almost 2 extra years. I envy you your retirement but am pretty sure that even if I go back next year, it will only be until Dec as then I can start getting social security the next year. The expense of health care is what keeps me working. I am waiting for grandchildren from our one child as it is their plan for the near future so I envy you! I am almost finished with The Appeal and can see where it is headed, I think. I am hoping big bad money doesn't win out like it so often does in real like. I am an avid reader and almost addicted to buying books. I have so many bought and not read that I surely do need to retire to find time to read them all. Just wondered how you are enjoying retirement and what you taught. I have mostly done elementary but am currently back in middle school. My favorite author is James Patterson (I know, easy reads but when I am working, I like the luxury of that) but am in a book club with a group of teachers and counselors and we pick good thoughtful books as well. I loved Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Hope you enjoy the new book when it comes. Keep enjoying your retirement...I am hoping for some time to finish The Appeal..oh, and also am reading The Last Lecture as my son knew the professor when he was a student under him at Carnegie Mellon University. It is a quick and amazingly poignant and funny, well written story! If you read The Memory Keepers Daughter it is on TV tonight as a movie...totally enjoyed that book and am anxious to see if they do it justice. Would love to hear from another retired teacher who loves to read. I live in Florida.

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 310 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: