Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
dcw888
0 Kudos

Re: Your Reviews of Song for the Missing

[ Edited ]

5 stars

A Frustrating Pleasure

Songs for the Missing was my first Stewart O'Nan book, and I liked it.  I wasn't sure what to expect other than it would probably be a depressing novel, but I found I enjoyed reading it and I enjoyed anticipating the next chapter with each page I read.  I had to keep reminding myself I was reading fiction and couldn’t just go to the Internet and look up the end of the story, although I was extremely tempted to read the last page halfway through the book.  I was kept in suspense, and that suspense kept building as I learned about each new detail of Kim’s disappearance.  Although O’Nan’s purpose wasn’t to write a thriller that focused on the disappearance of teenager Kim Larson, but to write a story that focused on the effects that disappearance had on those around Kim; he focused on the impact Kim’s life, and the uncertainty of her return, had on those around her.  Kim’s family and friends were left to discover her secrets and deal with each other’s reactions to her absence.  It took me awhile for it to sink in that finding Kim wasn't O'Nan's purpose -- his purpose was more about the relationships of those who knew and loved her.  I had some trouble reconciling that in my mind, since I just wanted a happy ending, and it did drive me to distraction as I kept wondering -- will they find her?  Is she alive?  Do they find her, but too late?  This is where I blame myself, not the author, for that distraction.  I think Stewart O'Nan did a fabulous job with this one.

Message Edited by dcw888 on 07-28-2008 09:18 AM
Contributor
fictionhound
0 Kudos

4 stars

Haunting tale that will pierce your heart

How much do you really know about your family??? Songs for the Missing makes you think about all those that you are close to & how well you really know them. Stewart O'Nan has crafted a tale that pulls you in from page one & drives you to the last page wanting to find the answers. The anguish that her family & friends feel goes straight to your heart. A book that makes you think is a rare gift.

Contributor
trolycar
0 Kudos

4 stars while it wasn't fantastic and the myriad of thoughts and emotions created a drama all unto itself -I would recommend this read -- it is a step back look to see that the grass is not always greener on the other side --- life happens all around us to everyone -- including ourselves

Contributor
LadyAlexis
0 Kudos

3 Stars

I wanted to like this book more.

But I just couldn't.

While I liked the author's style.

And the premise was excellent, the story just fell flat for me.

While reading I kept feeling like "something" was missing. {No pun intended}

It was just an okay read for me.

"While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning
how to die."
Leonardo da Vinci
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 1,266 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: