Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

About the Book and Author

[ Edited ]

Kate Morton and The House at Riverton

Author Photo: Kate MortonA #1 bestseller in England, The House at Riverton captivates with its engrossing story of a long-held secret from a distant era.

Grace Bradley went to work as a servant at Riverton House when she was just a girl, before the First World War. For years her life was inextricably tied up with the Hartford family, most particularly the two daughters, Hannah and Emmeline.

In the summer of 1924, at a glittering society party held at the house, a young poet shot himself. The only witnesses were Hannah and Emmeline and only they -- and Grace -- know the truth.

Grace, now ninety-eight years old, is living out her last days in a nursing home. A visit by a young director making a film about the events of that summer takes Grace back to Riverton House and reawakens her memories.

About Kate Morton: A native Australian, she holds degrees in dramatic art and English literature and is currently a doctoral candidate at the University of Queensland. She lives with her family in Brisbane, Australia, and is writing her second novel.

About Kate Morton: A native Australian, she holds degrees in dramatic art and English literature and is currently a doctoral candidate at the University of Queensland. She lives with her family in Brisbane, Australia, and is writing her second novel.

Message Edited by Maria_H on 12-12-2007 12:47 PM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book and Author

Maria_H wrote:

Grace Bradley went to work as a servant at Riverton House when she was just a girl, before the First World War. For years her life was inextricably tied up with the Hartford family, most particularly the two daughters, Hannah and Emmeline.

I just finished doing a Community theatre rendition of "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." The main character in the play is named Grace Bradley. Jo
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

It will be interesting to ask the author whether there was any connection there.

Jo6353 wrote:

Maria_H wrote:

I just finished doing a Community theatre rendition of "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." The main character in the play is named Grace Bradley. Jo

0 Kudos

The plot thickens!

K.

Jo6353 wrote:

Maria_H wrote:

Contributor
BetteKidd
0 Kudos

I haven't received my book. I hope I registered correctly. Looking so forward to being part of the discussion and have already bragged to my family that I was chosen to participate. Is there any way to know if I am part of the group? BetteKidd
Bette Ann
Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
0 Kudos

Did you get a pm about being in? If so your book is on the way!

Heather
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

BetteKidd wrote:
I haven't received my book. I hope I registered correctly. Looking so forward to being part of the discussion and have already bragged to my family that I was chosen to participate. Is there any way to know if I am part of the group? BetteKidd

Check your private messages. Click on the envelope icon on the far right side of the header for this message board. It's along the same line as your login name. Jo
Contributor
BetteKidd
0 Kudos

What is her first novel? Bette Ann
Bette Ann
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

This one?

BetteKidd wrote:
What is her first novel?
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Kate Morton is a very gifted writer...I love The House at Riverton...she shows great insight...I hope that everyone enjoyed the book as much as I did...that's all I can say, unfortunately...you guys are going to fall in love with it...it's the first thing I think about when I wake up...I haven't seen writing like this since I left college...and I majored in English and American Literature...even though my posts don't show it...lol...I can't wait to discuss this one...The First Look Bookclub made an excellent choice in choosing Ms. Morton's book to start off the year...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Here you've finished the book and some of us haven't even received it yet.

Thank you for keeping your praise general and not including any spoilers. I hope others who already have the book will be as sensitive as you were to those of us who don't have it yet.

paula_02912 wrote:
Kate Morton is a very gifted writer...I love The House at Riverton...she shows great insight...I hope that everyone enjoyed the book as much as I did...that's all I can say, unfortunately...you guys are going to fall in love with it...it's the first thing I think about when I wake up...I haven't seen writing like this since I left college...and I majored in English and American Literature...even though my posts don't show it...lol...I can't wait to discuss this one...The First Look Bookclub made an excellent choice in choosing Ms. Morton's book to start off the year...

0 Kudos

I just got my book a couple of days ago and so far I LOVE IT!!
Frequent Contributor
bookhunter
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:

Kate Morton and The House at RivertonGrace, now ninety-eight years old, is living out her last days in a nursing home. A visit by a young director making a film about the events of that summer takes Grace back to Riverton House and reawakens her memories.

12:47 PM

I JUST finished _Water for Elephants_ and sounds like this has a similar writing technique--an older person reflecting back on memories from younger days. In that book, I really enjoyed the juxtaposition of the older narrator and his younger self.

Probably there really are few similarities, but this description jumped out at me as I have just finished WfE. (Which was a super book and I highly recommend it!)

Happy New Year,
Ann the bookhunter
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

bookhunter wrote:

I JUST finished _Water for Elephants_ and sounds like this has a similar writing technique--an older person reflecting back on memories from younger days. In that book, I really enjoyed the juxtaposition of the older narrator and his younger self.

Probably there really are few similarities, but this description jumped out at me as I have just finished WfE. (Which was a super book and I highly recommend it!)

Happy New Year,
Ann the bookhunter

Ann,
I thought the same thing. I also recently finished WFE and noticed that this book has a similar situation for the main character. I thought it was a great book too.
Reader
SparklesOfAmber
0 Kudos

Got the book the day after christmas which was a wednesday and i just finished it on saturday afternoon. I jut had to keep reading to see what was coming. I loved the story and i enjoyed her writing style a great deal. I hope you all will enjoy it as i did. Happy reading to all.

Courtney
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

It seems like a lot of books have already received. This is Monday the 31st and I still haven't received mine yet. Should I be worried or are they still in the process. I tried to reply to the pm that said I was registered but then got a msg saying it could not be sent. Any way to check on this?

Kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:
It seems like a lot of books have already received. This is Monday the 31st and I still haven't received mine yet. Should I be worried or are they still in the process. I tried to reply to the pm that said I was registered but then got a msg saying it could not be sent. Any way to check on this?

Kaye

Kaye, I havent gotten mine yet either, nor have a couple of my friends in here and others too, so I think we just need to wait another couple of days. I bet a lot more get delivered today, but then we have a holiday tomorrow so I think until the third, we just need to hang in there and see. If we don't have the book the day after the discussion starts, then maybe we all need to let them know who of us is still without one. We just got to wait I think till about mid week before we can do anything. But just know, you are not alone. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I received my ARC of RIVERTON last Friday, and I'm here in Boston. It's been an exciting wait for the UPS truck. I've already dug into the book, and like many mysteries, I can't put it down.

It's going to be a challenge not to finish it before January 2nd. And being extra extra careful about spoilers.

Happy new year to everyone!

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Reader 2
momahof3
0 Kudos

Happy New Year to all my NEW friends !

Yes, I did receive the book today - very late this afternoon, UPS AIR.

Good Luck to you all, and remember with all the snow we have, many deliveries

will be late. ( We have 5 inches of fresh snow this afternoon - on top of wet slush)

Many flights were cancelled ... Drive safely ... Meet you all Next Year !!
A
Contributor
Teapharm03
0 Kudos

I think the author is a very gifted writer.The style of the story is very engaging.Grace is a remarkable woman. She seems to have a great memory for a 98 year old woman, but I guess anything is possible. This possibility must be the sign or evidence that we are dealing with a gifted writer because I want to believe it is so. This connection is reinforced by how skillfully the author takes us from the present to the past in this woman's life. I have not finished reading the book, I hope my feelings are justified.Time will tell.
Teapharmo3
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 160 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: