Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book and Author

Teapharmo3, I like Kate Morton's style too...you mentioned how amazing it is that a 98 year old woman has such a remarkable memory...I think it is plausible because studies have shown that older people have a much better memory for things that happened in the past, rather than what's going on in the present...and don't forget, her time at Riverton is a very indelible part of her life...and it shook her as we saw in the excerpt...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
New User
sentimental_grl
0 Kudos

Received the book yesterday afternoon, and am so glad to have this blustery, cold day off so I may begin to read it!
Contributor
MaggieL54
0 Kudos

I recieved my copy yesterday p.m. and I ws able to start it today. I am hooked already. The characters are jumping off the page and into my mind. I will be sad to see them go when I am finished. Happy New Year All....

Maggie
Reader
Lure517
0 Kudos

Just about half way through and I'm really enjoying this book. It reminds me of Thorn birds or other epic/saga stories.
Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

Lure517 wrote:
Just about half way through and I'm really enjoying this book. It reminds me of Thorn birds or other epic/saga stories.

Hi mom!! Yes your are right it does kinda remind me of that also. I am sooo jealous that you are almost half way through it. I am about 1/3 through and enjoying it tremendously.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: House at Riverton versus The Thorn Birds?

HAR reminded me of Colleen McCullough's The Thorn Birds, too, although I haven't quite figured out why, except that both have been somehow mesmerizing, enjoyable quick reads for me -- I read TTB years ago on the plane and during an overnight stay on one of my many two-three day business trips to Denver in the '70s. I'd be interested if you have other thoughts on why the memory connections.

Kourt wrote:

Lure517 wrote: Just about half way through and I'm really enjoying this book. It reminds me of Thorn birds or other epic/saga stories.
Hi mom!! Yes your are right it does kinda remind me of that also. I am sooo jealous that you are almost half way through it. I am about 1/3 through and enjoying it tremendously.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book and Author / SPOILER???

Paula, I agree. I have started the book, House of Riverton. The characters are so real: Grace, Hannah, Emmeline and David. I feel Robby will become a big part of the story. I always love a male poet in a novel. Is it because a male poet seems so free and romantic?

Grapes
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

While reading the book, I have been thinking about the Bronte siblings especially in the way they entertain themselves.
Grapes
Reader 2
Reshan
0 Kudos

I am a brand new member of this book club. I was thrilled to death when the UPS man pulled up today with my copy of The House at Riverton. I am going to start reading the book right now. I am a teacher and I will be going back to work tomorrow. I wish I would have had this book to read over the Holidays!

Reshan
Frequent Contributor
lamorgan
0 Kudos

My book arrived today and I'm anxious to start reading it! Thanks.
Reader
Jayapatel1
0 Kudos

This is similar to Water For Elephants, but so very different in content. WFE was fantastic, and Riverton is so elegantly written. I am really enjoying reading it.
Contributor
Sisters3
0 Kudos

I received my book today and can't wait to get reading!
Inspired Contributor
goingeast
0 Kudos

Hello everyone, I'm Ann. After waiting and watching out my window for the big brown truck, my book finally arrived at 6:30 pm today. I had just about given up on it and here it is. I plan to get the kids in bed early, put on my flannel pj's and snuggle up in front of the fireplace with a nice hot totty (or two). Reading is my passion and can't wait to get my teeth into this one. I was not one of the fortunate ones to get in on the last book. It sounds like Monster of Templeton was a great read though. I am hoping this one will be every bit as good. All the best to those who suffered without power due to the ice storms. I remember a really great ice storm when used to live in New York. The city was at a standstill for a week, but we never lost power. As for me, I love the cold weather, snow, ice on the trees, gloves, hats, and smoke coming out of the chimneys. Happy New Year everyone! Looking forward to discussing this book soon!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I love the Author's style also. And also you can tell by the steps she takes to make the book interesting through out, makes you keep coming back. When you start the book, Grace keeps saying things like "when this happened or I remember this" It makes you want to go on and on and keep reading. It is written with great splendor, elaborate words that flow like poetry. She certainly is a gifted writer. And the story line keeps you going also.
Contributor
MalindaC
0 Kudos

I found this club right before Christmas and then forgot about it. What a wonderful surprise when UPS dropped off the book. I can't wait to read more. I snuck away and read a couple chapters this afternoon and loved the beginning.
Contributor
StellaBee
0 Kudos

My book arrived today and I plan to start reading tomorrow---and probably through the weekend!
Frequent Contributor
Kat727
0 Kudos

Hi guys and gals! I have been super busy, but so far the book is amazing. Why is it that whenever you have a really good book to read you’re busy? I read as much as I can before bed, but I keep falling asleep with my lamp on and the book in my lap. So far though I’m definitely in love with Hannah.
peace and love
Kaylee/Kat
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

I received my book yesterday, Jan. 2, 2008. I've already got started on it.
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

grapes wrote: "While reading the book, I have been thinking about the Bronte siblings especially in the way they entertain themselves."

Hi, I kept thinking about Jane Eyre especially and in certain parts I felt like I was reading about Heathcliff...to me this book reads like a Victorian novel, despite it being set in the 20th century...that is part of the reason I thoroughly enjoyed...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book and Author / SPOILER???

grapes wrote: "I always love a male poet in a novel. Is it because a male poet seems so free and romantic?"

Grapes, I also love a male poet in a novel because of the fact that they are free and romantic...through poetry, they are able to express themselves about how they are feeling inside rather than trying to be stoic and just being a man; strong, not fragile, not time for the sensitive side of things...especially during the time period that Morton writes about...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

Author Unknown
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 225 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: