Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book and Author

Paula,

It does feel like a Victorian novel which increases my love for the book. I also thought of the Bronte siblings because there were three children in the family, two girls and a boy. The way Hannah, Emmeline and David use fantasy is really interesting. I love the idea of putting on plays. On a general note in those days, without tv, I am sure the imagination of most Victorian children must have been without bounds. I like the tiny books created by Kate Morgan. I don't know how to talk about them accept by using a quote.
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book and Author / SPOILER???

Oh yes, I agree. I love the way you have talked about the man of the future.
Grapes
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Kourt wrote:

Lure517 wrote:
Just about half way through and I'm really enjoying this book. It reminds me of Thorn birds or other epic/saga stories.

Hi mom!! Yes your are right it does kinda remind me of that also. I am sooo jealous that you are almost half way through it. I am about 1/3 through and enjoying it tremendously.

If you are enjoying this book, you might want to read Penny Vincenzi's trilogy. Set in England starting just before WW1- No Angel is the first one. Something Dangerous and Into Temptation are the other two. Can't remember now which is second and third.

I too am thoroughly enjoying the book. The past and present transitions flow smoothly and do not feel disjointed to me at all.

Kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Reader 2
barb42
0 Kudos

I received my book the last week in December. Just began to read it and I have already fallen in love with it. I am now about half way through it. Not only is it an interesting story, but it is also well written. I am sure that everyone that receives a copy will enjoy it. I will return when I am finished to write a review. Happy reading to all.
Looking forward to my next book!
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

barb42 wrote:
I received my book the last week in December. Just began to read it and I have already fallen in love with it. I am now about half way through it. Not only is it an interesting story, but it is also well written. I am sure that everyone that receives a copy will enjoy it. I will return when I am finished to write a review. Happy reading to all.

Barb, so glad you go the book!

However, there is a discussion unfolding about Chapters One and Two, so don't wait until you're done to return. Karen will be posting more threads as we read further into the book, but until then, go join the conversation with other readers!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

barb42 wrote:

Barb,
You don't have to wait until you are finished to discuss it. We have a thread open now for the first two chapters and more will be open soon. You can post comments at any time. Just be sure to keep your comments limited to whatever chapters are listed in the thread. That way we avoid spoilers for people who haven't read farther than that. We'll be discussing the book for at least a month so join in at any time and feel free to ask questions along the way. Enjoy! :smileyhappy:
Contributor
barrycaseyii
0 Kudos

OH MY GOD!!! I received my book the day after Christmas as well :smileyhappy: I was in the middle of another novel (crime fiction...mindless) so I did not start 'The House At Riverton' until yesterday. I finished reading at 3:00 am this morning. I am not at work about to pass out, but it was DEFINATELY worth it. I agree with the member who stated that they had not read writing like this since college. Her style is very unique, and quite detailed. I enjoyed the book immensely, and feel in love with the characters that seemed to leap off of the pages. I will not go into detail (for those who have not finished) but this is an AMAZING book to start off my membership in the First Look Book Club. I can't say enough...so I will stop now :smileyhappy: ENJOY!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

barrycaseyii wrote:
OH MY GOD!!! I received my book the day after Christmas as well :smileyhappy: I was in the middle of another novel (crime fiction...mindless) so I did not start 'The House At Riverton' until yesterday. I finished reading at 3:00 am this morning. I am not at work about to pass out, but it was DEFINATELY worth it. I agree with the member who stated that they had not read writing like this since college. Her style is very unique, and quite detailed. I enjoyed the book immensely, and feel in love with the characters that seemed to leap off of the pages. I will not go into detail (for those who have not finished) but this is an AMAZING book to start off my membership in the First Look Book Club. I can't say enough...so I will stop now :smileyhappy: ENJOY!

Barry? you stayed up all night to read the whole book? lol, did you notice we are only discussing two chapters so far and you needed only to read about 15 pages to catch up? LOL! Ok, sorry that so funny tho. But seriously, we have ALL month lol, dont kill yourself with this, enjoy it. And PLEASE dont post everything you have read already lol, JUST the first two chapters and others as they are posted. This is a huge crowd for one bookclub and we are really trying to not have any spoilers. Get some sleep lol and then catch up with the TWO chapters we are discussing. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
coavalanche12
0 Kudos

I too am a teacher, and had a chance to start the book before I had to report back. Haven't made it as far as I would have liked at this point, but have really enjoyed it so far!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: House at Riverton versus The Thorn Birds?

Pepper, I also read the Thorn Birds, but if you think my mind can harken back that far...you are out of yours! HA! I think the word "saga" is a good word for it. I'm not that far into HaR, but I feel a "saga" coming on!

Peppermill wrote:
HAR reminded me of Colleen McCullough's The Thorn Birds, too, although I haven't quite figured out why, except that both have been somehow mesmerizing, enjoyable quick reads for me -- I read TTB years ago on the plane and during an overnight stay on one of my many two-three day business trips to Denver in the '70s. I'd be interested if you have other thoughts on why the memory connections.

Kourt wrote:

Lure517 wrote: Just about half way through and I'm really enjoying this book. It reminds me of Thorn birds or other epic/saga stories.
Hi mom!! Yes your are right it does kinda remind me of that also. I am sooo jealous that you are almost half way through it. I am about 1/3 through and enjoying it tremendously.

Contributor
Teapharm03
0 Kudos

I like the character "Grace". I like how the author weaves the past with the present. I am willing to believe her memory of the past is intact.I am sure there are many elderly like her capable recalling the details from the past. I still feel that someone that advance in age would have a hard time doing what Grace is doing. But I will admit I have never had contact with someone close to 100 nor read studies supporting my views.So I am more than willing to accept what you claim. I am enjoying the book .......The author is very gifted
Teapharmo3
New User
earthshine
0 Kudos

This is my first book, having only recently found the book club online. I received my copy on January 2, after UPS tried to deliver it on Dec 31. I agree that it is very plausible for the elderly to remember the distant past easier than the recent past and it was a very important time in the life of Grace. I loved the writing style of the author. I found it very hard to pull out of the memories of Grace into the present time of Grace. I often felt disoriented myself for several minutes and the transition is always very sudden, like waking from a dream...
Believe in the power of education to change lives!
New User
yaymama
0 Kudos

Mine came pretty fast after registering so if it doesn't get there soon, I'd email them.
Contributor
Melissa4669
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book and Author/possible SPOILER

I recieved the book on Wednesday and finished it last night; needless to say when I had the opportunity to pick it up I could not put it down. The book was wonderful: engaging characters, moving storyline, and descriptives so intense I am still muddling over some of it this afternoon!
I found it interesting that one of the earlier replies entailed a similarity to many victorian writers. I though that very accurate; the feel thorough the language, romantic ideals and realism meets with the volatile changes of the time and captures the characters in a whirlwind that is quite victorian and wholly enjoyable.
This book is one of those that entrap you to the point that you are sorry when it is over; which I think is the best praise a story can recieve.
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

I got my book yesterday, too. It looks like UPS couldn't find me, the box had 3 different stickers. Today we have wind and rain storms, a good day to start. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I'll be right behind you.
Cora
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

I am so glad I read your message, I also was going to read first then come back. I'll get the first few chapters and check in.
Thank you
Cora
jed
Contributor
jed
0 Kudos

It would be nice to have a thread where those of us who have read the book could share our overall impressions. I am appreciative of the request that we avoid spoilers but there isn't much about this book that really warrants a chapter by chapter discussion. I feel caught in not being able to give an honest overall appraisal and am waiting to share some candid insights.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

jed wrote:
It would be nice to have a thread where those of us who have read the book could share our overall impressions. I am appreciative of the request that we avoid spoilers but there isn't much about this book that really warrants a chapter by chapter discussion. I feel caught in not being able to give an honest overall appraisal and am waiting to share some candid insights.

There probably will be one in the near future. That's how most of the clubs are done here. Did you see there is a schedule posted now that tells approximately when each new thread will open? That should be helpful and we won't be wondering when the next one will be coming.
New User
mineca
0 Kudos

i actually found the beginning much like so many other books/movies; water for elephants, titanic, the notebook. i was disappointed that it wasn't more original.
Contributor
corym
0 Kudos

I got my book last week and started reading and it is wonderful. I am really glad to be involved with this book club!

Happy New Year to everyone!
Users Online
Currently online:51 members 404 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: