Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Litfan
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book and Author

After reading through the threads, I wanted to add a comment about Grace's memories. I agree that it is somewhat jarring when she goes from the past back into the present. I thought that the author did this intentionally-- I have to wonder if for Grace, she had become much more comfortable in her memories of the past, and it actually felt as disorienting for her as it was for us when she returned to present time.

With regard to the story itself being similar to other stories, ie. the Titanic-- I have to admit there were times in reading this novel that I thought "uh oh-- we're in danger of falling into some cliches here." But for me-- and I think this is the mark of the author's talent-- what could have become cliched and unoriginal remained fresh and unique because of the gorgeous language and insightful characterization used in the novel. Just some initial thoughts...
Contributor
sbdunn
0 Kudos

I think it will be interesting to discuss Grace with the author. She says in her own intro that the character of Grace came to her fully formed. I would love to know if she came with the whole storyline intact. As to her memory, I already find that there are things from my childhood that are much clearer to me than current-day events. And I'm only 52! I agree with Litfan, that she may be more comfortable in her memories than she is in the present. Her comments on the differences between service then and service now are very interesting!

Happy New Year and happy reading!
Sherilyn
New User
AlexandraBurt
0 Kudos

This is my first post, you all are very fast readers and there was another book I couldn't put down, anyway. Lots of good things are being said, I have not found anything bad so far. I think it's okay so far. Too many hints regarding the past and Riverton and 'the house', we all know we'll find out what happened so long ago, I do not have to be reminded constantly. There are beautiful passages in there, like the one with the fox hound and the blood and the river water. I will have to read on for a little bit, I am reminded of the TV series "Upstairs, Downstairs" from the 70s a bit. I haven't read "Water for Elephants", nor "Rebecca", so I am not sure, but we'll see what the future holds. I am on page 50. Talk to you soon.
Frequent Contributor
Terrie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I agree it has many lyrical passages. I'm a very "visual" reader - need to be able to put myself in the sets of the book. I must commend the writer on this as I was able to "be" in every scene so far, without effort. This is one of the things that bring me into any book, keeps me from wanting to put it down and makes me want to leave work early just to keep reading! If I remember correctly, this was one of Kate Morton's goals and for me, she has been very successful!!

Message Edited by Terrie on 01-06-2008 04:46 PM
Carpe Diem!
New User
lbrjrd
0 Kudos

Kate Morton is a truly gifted writer who also clearly shows that she has done an incredible amount of research! I find myself actually in the house with Grace as I am reading - her descriptions are so detailed. This book is one that I honestly have had a very hard time putting down each evening.
Contributor
mrstreme
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi, everyone! I am new to this group, and I look forward to participating in discussions about this book. I finished it last night and totally enjoyed it. I wrote a review about the book on my blog (no spoilers), if you're interested: http://mrstreme.livejournal.com/28866.html.

Happy Reading!
Jill
http://mrstreme.livejournal.com

Message edited by admin for formatting only.

Message Edited by Kevin on 01-08-2008 11:43 AM
acq
Reader
acq
0 Kudos

BetteKidd wrote:
I haven't received my book. I hope I registered correctly. Looking so forward to being part of the discussion and have already bragged to my family that I was chosen to participate. Is there any way to know if I am part of the group? BetteKidd

I finished the House at Riverton in one day! Kate Morton brings you into another time,slowly seducing you into Grace Bradley's world. It is well written and very easy to read.In the end I felt as though I wanted to hear an interview wth grace so that she could fill me in on those lost years. That is a compliment to the author. I know you will enjoy this book.
Contributor
crewel1005
0 Kudos

I think this book is exceptionally well written and I especially like the wealth of description which makes the scenes so real. My mother is 91 and has a great memory especially for things that happened when she was young, so for me Grace's very detailed memories are very plausible.
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I just got my book today and so far what I have read is very good. I agree with you that I am a very visual reader also. Can't wait to really get into this book. Talk to you all soon. Happy reading.
Contributor
Melissa4669
0 Kudos

I have never seen "Upstairs, Downstairs" but from the title I imagine that you are right. I was struck with how closely the servant/master relationship descriptives came to those in Gosford Park; the strict head, the new girl that is learning the ropes, the eccentric cook etc. etc. Hope you enjoy the rest of the book!
Inspired Contributor
gringorn
0 Kudos

I agree with you that what could have become maudlin was given a new take by the author. I couldn't help myself and read the book through in one day, so without ruining it for anyone..........trust me, Ms Morton deftly sidesteps making this a repeat of other tales.
New User
ahunneysuckle
0 Kudos

Hi, I just received my book yesturday, January 8, 2008. I began reading it last night and I didn't want to put it down. You should get yours soon.
New User
LoriAnn
0 Kudos

I am new to this book club. I received the book and have begun reading it and have really enjoyed it so far. I look forward to finishing it so that I can read more posts and participate in the discussions. I only looked at this discussion so to avoid spoiling any storyline details.

I am looking foward to participating in this. I don't know if we have to sign up for each month's book selection or do they come automatically now?

Lori
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

LoriAnn wrote:
I am new to this book club. I received the book and have begun reading it and have really enjoyed it so far. I look forward to finishing it so that I can read more posts and participate in the discussions. I only looked at this discussion so to avoid spoiling any storyline details.

I am looking foward to participating in this. I don't know if we have to sign up for each month's book selection or do they come automatically now?

Lori

We're so glad you are enjoying the book! To answer your question about the club, there are no plans for automatic membership. Readers will have to enroll for each new club.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Contributor
MarabPillot
0 Kudos

Happy New Year to everyone!

I got the book two weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I am a slow reader but am already half way through the book. I can't put it down!

Can't wait for the discussion with the author on Jan 14.

Mara
Contributor
Teapharm03
0 Kudos

I read your review. It summarizes the plot very well. You character analyzes of Grace was just how I view her. I like gothic novels too and this one was indeed a page turner.Thanks for sharing....
Teapharmo3
Reader 2
eightcatz
0 Kudos

I just received my book a couple of days ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's been hard to put down. I hope to finish this weekend.
Contributor
lsmith3125
0 Kudos

Hi!
I just finished the book and agree with LitFan and many others who cite that it is certainly not a unique story. I found it very predictible with no real surprises. Some of the minor plot lines might have been interesting to explore and left me wanting more details. And I didn't feel like I ever got to know any of the characters well enough that I could predict their reactions or preferences.
That said, it is a credit to Ms. Morton that it is an enjoyable read. I did enjoy it, primarily because she is a gifted storyteller, keeping the story fresh with descriptive prose that flowed easily. Her words sucked me in. I'm sure that I will read some of her future work just to observe her evolution as an author.

Linda from Michigan
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Linda -- with what are you comparing HAR when you say "it is certainly not a unique story" and "I found it very predictable with no real surprises"?

Just to say where I am coming from in probing your responses: a) I don't read enough mysteries to really judge whether a new one is predictable or not, i.e., I don't have a good collection of "standards" against which to make a comparison; b) I did predict a number of the "secrets", but there are others over which I am still scratching my head and asking "did that go to the grave with Grace?" (Besides re-reading sections, I am following the discussions here for insights on what I may have missed!)

What was unique to me about this story was participating in her final days with a basically healthy almost centenarian as she brought closure in her own way to a very full and rich, albeit not wealthy, life. About the third time I read the last two chapters, I said, "I think Grace has just been giving me lessons on how to live a full, long, complicated life and then die. May I have the grace and be given the life to create comparable closure."

Pepper

lsmith3125 wrote: Hi! I just finished the book and agree with LitFan and many others who cite that it is certainly not a unique story. I found it very predictable with no real surprises. Some of the minor plot lines might have been interesting to explore and left me wanting more details. And I didn't feel like I ever got to know any of the characters well enough that I could predict their reactions or preferences.

That said, it is a credit to Ms. Morton that it is an enjoyable read. I did enjoy it, primarily because she is a gifted storyteller, keeping the story fresh with descriptive prose that flowed easily. Her words sucked me in. I'm sure that I will read some of her future work just to observe her evolution as an author.

Linda from Michigan
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
CherylAnderson
0 Kudos

I just finished my "free" advanced copy and boy was I surprised. I don't usually buy books that have a historical setting, they don't usually hold my interest. I really like this book. It not only held my interest but kept me wanting to read more to see what happens next. I am going to look at whether the author Kate Morton has other books and purchse one of those. HAPPY READING
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 338 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: