Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Susantx
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book and Author

I agree. Am I the only one who is not thrilled with this book? Maybe this isn't the appropriate forum for it, but the writing style does not appeal to me in any way. I find the book has quite a heavy hand when it comes to foreshadowing, and frankly, put it down after a few chapters because I did not care about the characters. I'm disappointed. Is there a place to discuss this further?
Reader
Jayapatel1
0 Kudos

I just finished the book and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did feel at first it was going to be predictable but I was wrong. I loved the eloquent writing style of the author. Her writing reminds me of Trollope. The language is very appealing.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Susantx wrote:
I agree. Am I the only one who is not thrilled with this book? Maybe this isn't the appropriate forum for it, but the writing style does not appeal to me in any way. I find the book has quite a heavy hand when it comes to foreshadowing, and frankly, put it down after a few chapters because I did not care about the characters. I'm disappointed. Is there a place to discuss this further?

I think you can talk about that here, but we need to make sure that anything said specifically about any part has a SPOILER warning for those not finished but still reading.

I too was disappointed with the book. I liked the story, when you were in it, but the style of writing seemed to change often or get lost and many scenes of just descriptions tended to drag on and then you were giving new information all at one, just like that, and then it goes back again to back build up to it. I dont mean the transition scenes between the old and younger Grace (which many were done, to me a bit uneven or clumsily, especially those that were mid page and mid thought) but I mean, in the past, all the sudden, here was the answer and then she would go back even further to build up to this revelation. Well, it wasnt a mystery there and the thrill of the building to it was taken away, because she had just told you the outcome of the next several chapters. It wasn't a tight story to me, the pace drifted. I think with about 100 pages cut and the old Grace just being at the first and the end of the book, not sprinkled about within when one has lost interest in her, it would have been a much better read to me and much more of a mystery. I will say tho, that I feel that Part 4 was better written but it was not a book that just grabbed me and I couldn't put it down, I did, after each chapter just about.

But, having said that, we must admit that not everyone is going to love every book, or style, but yeah, I think you should be able to say that here, it is a discussion forum after all, I hope. :smileywink: I did read it all tho to see if my feelings changed any.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Reader
Michie1949
0 Kudos

Dear Kate, I've had the pleasure of receiving an advanced copy of your novel, "The House at Riverton". It is absoluting wonderful!! Although a bit longer than I usually read - I am enjoying my time with Grace, her memories, and the house at Riverton. I belong to a book club and am going to recommend your book for discussion. I hope read more books written by you in the future, Michele Toniatti
Reader 2
obrian
0 Kudos

Im finished

Dear Kate
I finished your novel yesterday and I absolutely loved it!!! I could not put this book down.I love your style and became very attached to your characters. I love to read and usually pass on my books to friends and relatives to also enjoy reading...however The House of Riverton...I want back. I am sure I will read it again. I highly recommend this novel to everyone! I can't wait for your next novel!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Im finished

Hello Kate,
I also finished your book Saturday night. My daughter was visiting and couldn't believe I wouldn't put the book down and talk to her. But the last pages I just had to keep going. It was so suspenseful especially figuring everything out at the end. I love your style of writing. It seems a book tells a story completely when it starts with the main character at a older age.In most cases, you know it will conitnue through his or her lifespan probably. And also all the hints of suspense through out the book was awesome. This book I know I will remember and delight in for a long time.
Contributor
evansj
0 Kudos

I have to say that so far I am (surprisingly) enjoying this book and the style of writing, although I haven't finished it yet. When I first started reading it I was a little nervous to find that it's structure seemed to be similar to "The Thirteenth Tale", a book I read a few months ago and was very disappointed and bored by. I think it's something about the story line of a character looking into the past to figure out a family secret that doesn't turn out to be that interesting, and it seems like there are a lot of books out there with that kind of plot. But so far I am liking the writing style better than similar books I have read recently. We will see..!
New User
beba
0 Kudos

Just finished the book - couldn't put it down, but didn't want it to end. Speaking of the end, I found it very satisfying. The style of writing, combining the "current" days and looking back into the past with a story to follow in each was delightful. Thank you, Ms. Morton for a wonderful read.
New User
teach1396
0 Kudos

The book was fabulous. It took me to an era that I will never experience; an era of innocence that will never be again. When I was reading it and the narrator of the story said that she knew her place and was grateful for it I thought to myself that the author of the book really understood the time and setting. My grandmother is 98 now but when she was younger I would ask all sorts of questions and she would tell me that you never tried to do better than you were because you were just glad that you had what you had. Kudos to Kate Morton for being able to convey that feeling through the words that she had written. I loved it that at the end we found out that Urusla is actually related to the main character Grace and that is why she was so interested in what happened so long ago. There are no words that express what I felt when I was reading the book.
Kate Morton has a style that is very easy to read and is very engrossing. The time it took me to read the book was very short because it was a page turner but then I reread the book and I found things that I didn't notice before and it added a whole new dimension to the story.
Reader 4
Chinita24
0 Kudos

Hi Kate, I'm not finished reading your book but am very happy with it. I'm passing it along to someone on the 27th. My daughter's Brownie Troop is holding a mother daughter dinner dance and we are each to bring a book to exchange. Guess what book I'm bringing! I will send attach a message to it. To share the author with others. I hope this drives your future books as well. Looking forward to reading more from you.

Gladys
G
Contributor
AbbyLynn
0 Kudos

evansj wrote:
I have to say that so far I am (surprisingly) enjoying this book and the style of writing, although I haven't finished it yet. When I first started reading it I was a little nervous to find that it's structure seemed to be similar to "The Thirteenth Tale", a book I read a few months ago and was very disappointed and bored by. I think it's something about the story line of a character looking into the past to figure out a family secret that doesn't turn out to be that interesting, and it seems like there are a lot of books out there with that kind of plot. But so far I am liking the writing style better than similar books I have read recently. We will see..!

I have to say I had the same nervous feeling when I started the book this past weekend. I recently saw Atonement (I'll admit I never read the book...has anyone else read the book or seen the movie?) and was disappoitned by it. I've been pleasantly surprised to find I'm enjoying the book a great deal and will probably finish it tonight.
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book and Author--Possible Spoiler!

[ Edited ]
Hi, Kate--I'm another who thoroughly enjoyed your book and am pleased to have had this opportunity to read it. I think your creativity is tops and love the way you wove all the diverse threads of the story together so there were none left dangling at the end. I hope you write more books--I would love to read them! Hmmm, any plans for a sequel? Let's see, Ursula and Marcus are of the same generation, aren't they? Any chance for something interesting happening there? After all, they're only DISTANTLY related!

Joan

Oooops! Sorry, just remembered that Ursula and Marcus are NOT of the same generation; he's Grace's grandson, and she's Hannah's great-granddaughter (Ursula refers to "grandma Florence, " and Florence was Hannah's daughter). Oh, well........

Message Edited by Read-n-Rider on 01-15-2008 03:19 PM
dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

I also found the book similar to The Thirteenth Tale. I read that book for my book club and actually did enjoy it but it felt rather dark and overcast. This book seemed to have a lightness about it that The Thirteenth Tale was missing. I liked it a lot.
Donna
dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

I may be missing it but is there a list somewhere of the books written by Kate Morton?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dg wrote:
I may be missing it but is there a list somewhere of the books written by Kate Morton?

Isn't this her first? This book was published in many other countries before it came here.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dg wrote:

click on her name by this book at the upper right and it will take you to the site on B&N that will have any of her books if there are more. I know there is a thread talking about the different covers to this one book, but I havent heard any discussion of any other book from her so dunno, but you can find out there, or check her out online, I bet she has a website.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
deetm5282
0 Kudos

Hi everyone. I have just gotten into the book and am excited about being part of this. So far the book is very interesting. Will say more when I get finished.

Toni
Live long & prosper

Toni
Frequent Contributor
nickco3
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

dg wrote:

Isn't this her first? This book was published in many other countries before it came here.

This is her first book. She has a second book being edited, and she doesn't know when it will released in the US, but it's being released in England?? spring/summer 08. She is working on her third. I think I read that in the ask author question part :smileyhappy:
Reader
Gypsygirl2
0 Kudos

Hi Kate,

I really enjoyed this book. I did not want to finish it but couldn't stop reading it!!! I must say, I even enjoyed reading it written in English english - for example, "colour" being spelt with a "u". I was educated under the British school system so I really appreciate being taken back to those times.

I felt at times that the book would be predictable and was pleasantly surprised that it was not. Credit to your writing skills.

I could picture every scene clearly in my mind, it was like watching a movie. There are some story lines that I would have liked to be developed more. I want to go into more but don't want to spoil it for anyone so I will wait to talk in more detail.
Books are our gateway to adventure and the mind enjoys such!
Inspired Contributor
nadine1
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book and Author--Possible Spoiler!

Read-n-Rider wrote:
Hmmm, any plans for a sequel? Let's see, Ursula and Marcus are of the same generation, aren't they? Any chance for something interesting happening there? After all, they're only DISTANTLY related!

Joan

Oooops! Sorry, just remembered that Ursula and Marcus are NOT of the same generation; he's Grace's grandson, and she's Hannah's great-granddaughter (Ursula refers to "grandma Florence, " and Florence was Hannah's daughter). Oh, well........

Message Edited by Read-n-Rider on 01-15-2008 03:19 PM

Although Ursula and Marcus are NOT of the same generation, they could be around the same age.

Hannah was pregnant in the summer of 1924, so grandma Florence was probably born in 1925. Add 25 years, or so, and Ursula's mother was probably born in 1950. Add another 25 years, and Ursula was probably born in 1975. This would mean that Ursula is 24 if she's making "The Shifting Fog" film in 1999.

Grace met John and became pregnant in 1938. Grace already commented that her daughter Ruth was 60 at the time of the story (1999). If Ruth gave birth to Marcus when Ruth was 30, then Marcus was possibly 30 at the time of the story. This seems logical since Marcus has an established writing career.
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 495 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: