Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

hlw
Reader 2
hlw
0 Kudos

Re: Are you in?

Hi to all. I'm Heather from Missouri and this is my first time to subscribe to an online book club. I received my book today and I'm ready to get started. I've been looking for a great read and I'm hoping this is it...
Reader
Babyjayla1
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, Ny name is Zady, from West Palm Beach, FL. This is my first time joining a online book club. I received my book today. I am going to get started. Hope its a good book.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

NickinColoma wrote:
Hello everybody
Nick here

Hello Nick here,
Vivian here. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

adamah wrote:
Hello everyone, my name is adamah and this is the first book club I've ever joined!
I was so excited about reading this book and I could not put it down. I look forward to discussing it with all of you!

Take care and Happy Reading!

adamah, thats an interesting name. Where are you from, or the name if you don't mind me asking? :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

hlw wrote:
Hi to all. I'm Heather from Missouri and this is my first time to subscribe to an online book club. I received my book today and I'm ready to get started. I've been looking for a great read and I'm hoping this is it...

Hi Heather, I am your neighbor to the southwest a state, Oklahoma. I hope you enjoy the club!
Vivian
Contributor
StellaBee
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. I'm from the Dallas, Texas area. Looking forward to reading and discussing with this group. My copy of the book was delivered this evening and if I don't get a chance to start on it tonight, I'll definitely start tomorrow.
Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Janet from Montana. I've participated in one other B & N author led book discussion and enjoyed it very much. Just got my book this evening. What a wonderful gift for a cold, snowy January night. Off to snuggle in bed (with a cat or two) and read. Does anyone else feel that with hundreds of posts already on this board, they are already behind? LOL
Frequent Contributor
ploabhawes
0 Kudos

Popper19 wrote:
I have started using Goodreads.com. You can make as many bookshelves as you want and add books to them. They show up with the book cover and everything. You automatically have a to-read list and then anytime you see a book you want to read, you just add it and ta-da you have a list. You can print the lists out and everything. I love it!!!!

Excellent. That sounds wonderful....thanks for the tip. It seems like it would be easier to organize the booklists online but yet I think that I sometimes might want it more accessible. Do you have a hardcopy of it as well? Also, there's always my fear of losing all the data. If there's a way, trust me this family somehow can manage to lose anything!
I am not sure what to use/buy but I envision this worn, tattered notebook like Linus' blanket filled with all my booklists. :smileyhappy:
Reader 4
narkey
0 Kudos

Hi! I received my ARC Aussie time MON (Dec 31st, 07) US Sunday.
It is hot here-middle of summer. This week it has been around 106 degrees F. Ice cream and cold drinks for me!

All the best,

Evvie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Read-n-Rider wrote:
... Now all I have to do is read like mad to catch up with those of you who have had your books for some time.

Not at all. You only need to read 14 pages (starting on 3, ending on 16) to be caught up with where the discussion is at this point.
0 Kudos

I am in! I got my copy of the book today & I am so excited to start reading it!!! My name is Julie and I live in Odessa, TX. I am a librarian at a junior high school. I love to read, scrapbook, love my animals, decorate, garden, and just about a little of everything.

Jewels
Julie
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

book lists

Popper19 wrote:
I have started using Goodreads.com. You can make as many bookshelves as you want and add books to them. They show up with the book cover and everything. You automatically have a to-read list and then anytime you see a book you want to read, you just add it and ta-da you have a list. You can print the lists out and everything. I love it!!!!

Popper,
I've never heard of that site but I'll be checking it out. That's good to know, thanks! I've already added it to my list that I keep by the computer. :smileyhappy:
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

book lists

ploabhawes wrote:

Popper19 wrote:

Excellent. That sounds wonderful....thanks for the tip. It seems like it would be easier to organize the booklists online but yet I think that I sometimes might want it more accessible. Do you have a hardcopy of it as well? Also, there's always my fear of losing all the data. If there's a way, trust me this family somehow can manage to lose anything!
I am not sure what to use/buy but I envision this worn, tattered notebook like Linus' blanket filled with all my booklists. :smileyhappy:

I do keep a little notebook handy to write new book ideas in but my regular book list I typed up in Microsoft Word and saved a few year ago. I organized it alphabetically by author and I print up a copy that I keep in my book bag. I cross out the books I read but keep them on the list so I don't repeat them. I circle the books I own so I don't repeat those either. I add to the list all of the time and when I have a lot of additions I update it on the computer again and print off a new list. It's gotten to be several pages but I can't resist a good book.
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

Re: book lists

I have a small notebook in my purse that I use for my need-to-read list. I checkmark everytime I look for it in the library; after 3 marks it goes on the need-to-buy list. :smileywink: The librarians know me well enough to suggest new authors or my opinion of what I have just turned in. For suggestions I also love the SciFi Channel Newsletter;they have detailed reviews of a wider range than one might expect. I could never keep up with a books read list! 8P I have also had the experience that oldesq mentioned; I have found B&N bags with a book or magazine in it under the bed, under the tv stand, and in a packed box that had no other books in it!
Frequent Contributor
Kathy
0 Kudos

I'm Kathy from Texas. I had originally gotten an email telling me I was not going to be included this time and was very, very happy to find a copy of the book delivered to me yesterday. I had not been checking the board since I did not think I was going to be included in this one, so I have quite a bit of catch-up to do. I'm a university librarian and true to form for most librarians, I love to read and share my thoughts about books with others.
Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

ploabhawes wrote:

Popper19 wrote:

I did print my to-read list. I haven't printed out my other bookshelves yet, but i think you can. Because I've never kept track of what I've read in the past I'm constantly adding books to my shelves when i see a review or something on a book I've read. It's really an enjoyable sight. I've found tons of new books I want to read but seeing people's reviews and just checking out what other people have read or are currently reading. I spend way too much time on the computer nowadays!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

Popper19 wrote:

Popper,
I've never heard of that site but I'll be checking it out. That's good to know, thanks! I've already added it to my list that I keep by the computer. :smileyhappy:

OK, now you had me cracking up this morning wrighty, "I will add that to my list" hehehe. You now have the site to keep your lists on, listed on your list huh? hehe. :smileywink: Actually, if its a sharing community, our little group :smileywink: should check it out and post maybe, to see who is read what, and what each other likes?
Vivian
Contributor
tmhoyle2
0 Kudos

Started reading the book and now am catching up on the postings and PMs. This is my first online book club. I read all the time and look forward to reading books that I normally would not. I have two careers (one that pays the bills and one that I enjoy). The one I enjoy is writing for my local newspaper. In fact, that is how I joined a local B&N bookclub. My editor sent me to write an article about a new book club. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it!

So not only am I in..I'm hooked.
Tina.

"I drink to make other people more interesting."
-- Hemingway, Ernest
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

tmhoyle2 wrote:
Started reading the book and now am catching up on the postings and PMs. This is my first online book club. I read all the time and look forward to reading books that I normally would not. I have two careers (one that pays the bills and one that I enjoy). The one I enjoy is writing for my local newspaper. In fact, that is how I joined a local B&N bookclub. My editor sent me to write an article about a new book club. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it!

So not only am I in..I'm hooked.

Tina,
U are doing good if you are new and know what a pm is LOL, I didnt know for a long time. But you have one more new one now hehe. :smileywink:
Vivian
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

CanTri wrote:
I started a list in excel about two years ago. Have a couple different columns, author, book title, and date I finished the book. Then I have another column of books I want to read. I need to be more diligent with putting in the ones I want to read instead of all the pieces of scrap paper that I pull out when I'm at B&N or the Library. Hubby just came across one the other day, "Is this important, it looks like a list of books?". Me, "Don't throw it out, Don't throw it out". :smileyhappy:

I keep 2 lists in word - ones books I read sorted by author,title,yr published and my a (couldn't put it down,b (would give the author another shot) and c rating (don't bother)
Works for me. Also have a to read list which seems to get longer by the hour.
As they say, so many books, so little time.

kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 446 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: