Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Contributor
mvenus929
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎01-21-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter


While I definitely agree that the fault lies with Grace, I just get stuck on the fact that this otherwise intelligent and curious woman, Hannah, just didn't see that it was a lie. It doesn't bother me too much, I understand why the author did this. It's more... I really want to go back a few chapters and shake Hannah into seeing the truth.




But see, I don't place the blame exclusively with Grace. Hannah was so wrapped up in her own world that she didn't have a care about Grace, even though she loved sharing her secrets and referring to as 'like a sister'. Hannah cared more about herself than she did anyone else, as evidence by her insistence of leaving Riverton to marry Teddy in the first place, though she knew it was against the wishes of both her sister and her father.
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
Posts: 492
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter

tarri wrote: "I don't think Grace would have betrayed Hannah, if she and Robbie had gotten away. I do think Hannah would have regretted her decision almost immediately."

Tarri, while I agree with you that if Hannah had succeed in following through with her plan to runaway, that Grace would not have revealed her secret...I disagree with your idea that Hannah would have regretted her decision almost immediately...I disagree because of the sheer fact that Hannah was so wrapped up in the new Game with Robbie...it enabled her to find the freedom she needed and she reveled in it...her ability to get what she wants, independence and freedom to be, which she didn't get through marriage, was the big draw for her...and going off with Robbie would give her just that...she would be able to travel "the world" by sailing around with him as well as do what she wants to do without thinking of how it will affect her status in society...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter


paula_02912 wrote:
tarri wrote: "I don't think Grace would have betrayed Hannah, if she and Robbie had gotten away. I do think Hannah would have regretted her decision almost immediately."

Tarri, while I agree with you that if Hannah had succeed in following through with her plan to runaway, that Grace would not have revealed her secret...I disagree with your idea that Hannah would have regretted her decision almost immediately...I disagree because of the sheer fact that Hannah was so wrapped up in the new Game with Robbie...it enabled her to find the freedom she needed and she reveled in it...her ability to get what she wants, independence and freedom to be, which she didn't get through marriage, was the big draw for her...and going off with Robbie would give her just that...she would be able to travel "the world" by sailing around with him as well as do what she wants to do without thinking of how it will affect her status in society...


Hannah and Robbie wouldnt have worked out and it wouldnt have taken long for Hannah to regret it all I agree because of two things. One, this is still a game to her, this is playing out her game, no matter what it does to anyone and the affair was part of that game, you dont have to deal with each other on a real every day basis like you do with a spouse. Its the magic of an affair that makes it so enticing. If they got away, the game is over. The fantasy is over. The real life begins and a shoestring and a prayer. They will be together every day and having to face real life problems. When the game ends, Hannah will look around and be very disappointed or find a new game elsewhere. The other reason is, that you already have hints of this when they are on the boat. She talks about some things that "if this was any other time or way, would irritate me or I would hate". She knows she would not be happy to sit in a one place with Robbie not wanting to go anywhere or do anything but stay home, she says so, but right now oh the "love" is more important. She says she would not be happy at all to sit and watch him jump up and start to write and ignore her all the time, if this was a different setting (married) but now she will just lay back and enjoy watching him. She wants to go and do things, like the street party, he wants and needs to hide from the world. Hannah would begin to miss her sister and think about what toll this took. All these things will crash in on them, left alone together instead of being each others distraction from the world. Robbie could even become violent with her too once the real life and her wanting her own way sets in. This relationship was always doomed. If they made it away, the game would be over, in more ways than one.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
carriele
Posts: 52
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Not knowing how to read shorthand

KxBurns wrote:
Everyman, although Hannah says, "You can't read shorthand" to Grace on page 438, this in fact happened after Robbie's death. It is only because Grace brought Emmeline to the lake that night that Hannah realized Grace was unable to understand her letter in shorthand. Had she been able to read shorthand, she would have delivered the suicide note to Emmeline the next day, when Hannah and Robbie were long gone, and all would have gone according to plan. Or so Hannah thinks. What would Grace have done if she had understood the shorthand letter?

(Also, this secret about understanding shorthand is the small white lie I refer to at the top of my post.)




Thanks for pointing out the fact that Hannah realizes Grace can't read shorthand until after Robbie's death. I must not have followed the time transition as well as I thought because I thought she said this to Grace before Robbie's death. It now makes much more sense.

Carrie E.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter



mvenus929 wrote:

While I definitely agree that the fault lies with Grace, I just get stuck on the fact that this otherwise intelligent and curious woman, Hannah, just didn't see that it was a lie. It doesn't bother me too much, I understand why the author did this. It's more... I really want to go back a few chapters and shake Hannah into seeing the truth.




But see, I don't place the blame exclusively with Grace. Hannah was so wrapped up in her own world that she didn't have a care about Grace, even though she loved sharing her secrets and referring to as 'like a sister'. Hannah cared more about herself than she did anyone else, as evidence by her insistence of leaving Riverton to marry Teddy in the first place, though she knew it was against the wishes of both her sister and her father.




well said! all the fault cannot be put on Grace! I will always say Robbie and Hannah share in that responsibility alot.
Inspired Contributor
sgregg88
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter



Tarri wrote:


KxBurns wrote:


krenea1 wrote:
I wonder though, if Hannah had always beleived that Grace had been learning shorthand why she never asked her about it. In that time it is not a usual past time for ladies to learn shorthand for fun is it. Wouldn't you think that Hannah would have eventually questioned why Grace still stuck around and did not venture out to get a job at a news paper and become independant like she herself had wanted so badly.



My take on this is that Hannah's interest in Grace and Grace's life is fairly superficial. She only asks Grace about herself when she is mulling something of her own, and is only interested in Grace's answers insofar as they reinforce her existing opinions or decisions. I think this is why Grace feels like her interactions with Hannah are often some kind of test.

Do you agree?




I do agree, which illuminates Hannah's selfishness in my eyes.




We are reading this story from Grace's perspective - perhaps that not what Hannah did, but instead, how Grace felt that Hannah was treating her... Grace recollects only the times that substantiate her own views....

Shelby
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
Posts: 492
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter

Vivian, you argued your point well here...great insight seen in this reading...I agree that eventually she would get bored because the game would be over...I think that if that had happened, Hannah would definitely have thought of another game...but if she did stay with Robbie, I do have a feeling that she would have had some positive impact on him and get him to go out more or even inspire him to write again...just a thought...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter

[ Edited ]
Hannah and Robbie wouldnt have worked out and it wouldnt have taken long for Hannah to regret it all I agree because of two things. One, this is still a game to her, this is playing out her game, no matter what it does to anyone and the affair was part of that game, you dont have to deal with each other on a real every day basis like you do with a spouse. Its the magic of an affair that makes it so enticing. If they got away, the game is over. The fantasy is over. The real life begins and a shoestring and a prayer. They will be together every day and having to face real life problems. When the game ends, Hannah will look around and be very disappointed or find a new game elsewhere. The other reason is, that you already have hints of this when they are on the boat. She talks about some things that "if this was any other time or way, would irritate me or I would hate". She knows she would not be happy to sit in a one place with Robbie not wanting to go anywhere or do anything but stay home, she says so, but right now oh the "love" is more important. She says she would not be happy at all to sit and watch him jump up and start to write and ignore her all the time, if this was a different setting (married) but now she will just lay back and enjoy watching him. She wants to go and do things, like the street party, he wants and needs to hide from the world. Hannah would begin to miss her sister and think about what toll this took. All these things will crash in on them, left alone together instead of being each others distraction from the world. Robbie could even become violent with her too once the real life and her wanting her own way sets in. This relationship was always doomed. If they made it away, the game would be over, in more ways than one.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 01-31-2008 09:44 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Moderator
KxBurns
Posts: 1,006
Registered: ‎09-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter


paula_02912 wrote:
tarri wrote: "I don't think Grace would have betrayed Hannah, if she and Robbie had gotten away. I do think Hannah would have regretted her decision almost immediately."

Tarri, while I agree with you that if Hannah had succeed in following through with her plan to runaway, that Grace would not have revealed her secret...I disagree with your idea that Hannah would have regretted her decision almost immediately...I disagree because of the sheer fact that Hannah was so wrapped up in the new Game with Robbie...it enabled her to find the freedom she needed and she reveled in it...her ability to get what she wants, independence and freedom to be, which she didn't get through marriage, was the big draw for her...and going off with Robbie would give her just that...she would be able to travel "the world" by sailing around with him as well as do what she wants to do without thinking of how it will affect her status in society...


I don't know -- I think Hannah is seeking something she cannot get from someone else. I don't believe Robbie would have made her any happier than Teddy. And I think she resorts to the Game, as she did in her youth, as an alternative to the real independence and adventure she cannot attain on her own.

Karen
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Hannah and Robbie

Vivian,
I agree with Paula, you do have some good insights into these characters. But please allow me to take a different perspective on this.

I understand your position, I know what you're saying, about your personal life. I've been there, and back. But I can't allow myself to work that into these characters' lives, though. Because I do see a silver lining, here. Robbie was a poet. As writers, the self becomes the main concern when writing. You have to become solitary. I don't view this as a detriment to seeking outside activities, and friendships. I don't see this as a hindrance with his relationship with Hannah.

I also see that Robbie was damaged from the war. I've viewed this within my own family. It's not a pretty sight. That combination of solitude, isn't a good one. It could throw him into major depressions. But we don't know that for sure, or what the outcome really would have been for these two. He could have improved with time, and with this deep love for, and from, Hannah, it could have given him the courage back that he needed to open up. We just don't know.

Hannah, I didn't view as mean, but merely self absorbed at times. We have to consider her upbringing, and her desires, and her age. I would like to think that growth in a future, loving marriage/relationship [she desired all of her life], would bring her into some realm of happiness. She knew what Robbie was like. There is no harm in going after what you desire. Robbie needed her, maybe that was what she needed all along, someone to give to, and someone who needed her so desperately that she actually FELT that need and could give back something of value. She was going to have a baby. I grant you, that wouldn't be a change I'd bring into a new relationship, such as theirs. But who really knows what might have happened? I guess I don't want to think the worst scenario.

I know we all base these characters' lives on our own lives...and experiences. I certainly do, but I would like to at least give these two the benefit of the doubt, and not throw them to the curb, based on what I've lived through, either.
Thanks for your insights.

Kathy
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Hannah and Robbie

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote:
Vivian,
I agree with Paula, you do have some good insights into these characters. But please allow me to take a different perspective on this.

I understand your position, I know what you're saying, about your personal life. I've been there, and back. But I can't allow myself to work that into these characters' lives, though. Because I do see a silver lining, here. Robbie was a poet. As writers, the self becomes the main concern when writing. You have to become solitary. I don't view this as a detriment to seeking outside activities, and friendships. I don't see this as a hindrance with his relationship with Hannah.

I also see that Robbie was damaged from the war. I've viewed this within my own family. It's not a pretty sight. That combination of solitude, isn't a good one. It could throw him into major depressions. But we don't know that for sure, or what the outcome really would have been for these two. He could have improved with time, and with this deep love for, and from, Hannah, it could have given him the courage back that he needed to open up. We just don't know.

Hannah, I didn't view as mean, but merely self absorbed at times. We have to consider her upbringing, and her desires, and her age. I would like to think that growth in a future, loving marriage/relationship [she desired all of her life], would bring her into some realm of happiness. She knew what Robbie was like. There is no harm in going after what you desire. Robbie needed her, maybe that was what she needed all along, someone to give to, and someone who needed her so desperately that she actually FELT that need and could give back something of value. She was going to have a baby. I grant you, that wouldn't be a change I'd bring into a new relationship, such as theirs. But who really knows what might have happened? I guess I don't want to think the worst scenario.

I know we all base these characters' lives on our own lives...and experiences. I certainly do, but I would like to at least give these two the benefit of the doubt, and not throw them to the curb, based on what I've lived through, either.
Thanks for your insights.

Kathy


Kathy, dont go there with "I know what you're saying, about your personal life. I've been there, and back." You dont know me, but I remember what you told me about you. and as for "But I can't allow myself to work that into these characters' lives, though. Because I do see a silver lining, here. Robbie was a poet. As writers, the self becomes the main concern when writing." I wasn't saying because of what I went through, this must happen to them. I dont "work myself into the characters' lives". What I do tho, is given that we all have a life and bring those experiences to everything we do hopefully having learned, is think about what is the most probably outcome of a story, given their background as written. I am a writer too Kathy, we have talked about that, you and I, so we need not get into this stuff about "what writers do is...." Its not the same for each writer.

"Hannah, I didn't view as mean, but merely self absorbed at times." I said that, I said she is selfish, not mean but shes just that way and if she has done all she wanted in the past for herself, why would that change now? All the reasons I gave, that Paula eluded to from my previous post was written into the story to tell us this.

"There is no harm in going after what you desire." She was married, she had no right, there was harm, to many and death. Now I will post this with your whole post so you wont say I am taking you out of context but I have to agree with Karen on this, she is stating what I did too. She said:
"I don't know -- I think Hannah is seeking something she cannot get from someone else. I don't believe Robbie would have made her any happier than Teddy. And I think she resorts to the Game, as she did in her youth, as an alternative to the real independence and adventure she cannot attain on her own."
Karen
--------
Spot on and why it wouldnt work in the long run. Morton did at least do that, tell us enough about Hannah and who she is and what she is capable of and how she is so caught up in her own game, not real life, to let us know, this was not going to have a happy ending one way or the other. Even if we wanted one, or would like to think so.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 01-31-2008 10:14 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Hannah and Robbie

Vivian, I don't wish to argue. I'm not debating these issues you have. I was simply giving my own perspective, from what I've just now read from you, and how I viewed these characters, myself. I don't know you, you don't know me, no matter what you THINK you know about me. I didn't pull your post apart to throw it in your face. I was actually trying to stay on the topic at hand, these characters of Hannah and Robbie, again, from my own points of view.
Please don't bring past discussions, or someone else's point of view, into these threads/boards to debate me.
I'm sorry if I've upset you in any way.
Kathy
.

vivico1 wrote:

KathyS wrote:
Vivian,
I agree with Paula, you do have some good insights into these characters. But please allow me to take a different perspective on this.

I understand your position, I know what you're saying, about your personal life. I've been there, and back. But I can't allow myself to work that into these characters' lives, though. Because I do see a silver lining, here. Robbie was a poet. As writers, the self becomes the main concern when writing. You have to become solitary. I don't view this as a detriment to seeking outside activities, and friendships. I don't see this as a hindrance with his relationship with Hannah.

I also see that Robbie was damaged from the war. I've viewed this within my own family. It's not a pretty sight. That combination of solitude, isn't a good one. It could throw him into major depressions. But we don't know that for sure, or what the outcome really would have been for these two. He could have improved with time, and with this deep love for, and from, Hannah, it could have given him the courage back that he needed to open up. We just don't know.

Hannah, I didn't view as mean, but merely self absorbed at times. We have to consider her upbringing, and her desires, and her age. I would like to think that growth in a future, loving marriage/relationship [she desired all of her life], would bring her into some realm of happiness. She knew what Robbie was like. There is no harm in going after what you desire. Robbie needed her, maybe that was what she needed all along, someone to give to, and someone who needed her so desperately that she actually FELT that need and could give back something of value. She was going to have a baby. I grant you, that wouldn't be a change I'd bring into a new relationship, such as theirs. But who really knows what might have happened? I guess I don't want to think the worst scenario.

I know we all base these characters' lives on our own lives...and experiences. I certainly do, but I would like to at least give these two the benefit of the doubt, and not throw them to the curb, based on what I've lived through, either.
Thanks for your insights.

Kathy


Kathy, dont go there with "I know what you're saying, about your personal life. I've been there, and back." You dont know me, but I remember what you told me about you. and as for "But I can't allow myself to work that into these characters' lives, though. Because I do see a silver lining, here. Robbie was a poet. As writers, the self becomes the main concern when writing." I wasn't saying because of what I went through, this must happen to them. I dont "work myself into the characters' lives". What I do tho, is given that we all have a life and bring those experiences to everything we do hopefully having learned, is think about what is the most probably outcome of a story, given their background as written. I am a writer too Kathy, we have talked about that, you and I, so we need not get into this stuff about "what writers do is...." Its not the same for each writer.

"Hannah, I didn't view as mean, but merely self absorbed at times." I said that, I said she is selfish, not mean but shes just that way and if she has done all she wanted in the past for herself, why would that change now? All the reasons I gave, that Paula eluded to from my previous post was written into the story to tell us this.

"There is no harm in going after what you desire." She was married, she had no right, there was harm, to many and death. Now I will post this with your whole post so you wont say I am taking you out of context but I have to agree with Karen on this, she is stating what I did too, so I just removed my whole post. She said:
"I don't know -- I think Hannah is seeking something she cannot get from someone else. I don't believe Robbie would have made her any happier than Teddy. And I think she resorts to the Game, as she did in her youth, as an alternative to the real independence and adventure she cannot attain on her own."
Karen
--------
Spot on and why it wouldnt work in the long run. Morton did at least do that, tell us enough about Hannah and who she is and what she is capable of and how she is so caught up in her own game, not real life, to let us know, this was not going to have a happy ending one way or the other. Even if we wanted one, or would like to think so.


Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Hannah and Robbie


KathyS wrote:
Vivian, I don't wish to argue. I'm not debating these issues you have. I was simply giving my own perspective, from what I've just now read from you, and how I viewed these characters, myself. I don't know you, you don't know me, no matter what you THINK you know about me. I didn't pull your post apart to throw it in your face. I was actually trying to stay on the topic at hand, these characters of Hannah and Robbie, again, from my own points of view.
Please don't bring past discussions, or someone else's point of view, into these threads/boards to debate me.
I'm sorry if I've upset you in any way.
Kathy
.



I can quote a previous post made by someone on the topic. You did when you said, you agree with Paula, we all do when we add onto a post. But when you want to say something about two people posting, you have to quote one of them or write the same thing on both, so I dont know what the problem is there. Just dont talk about my personal life and I wont talk about yours that I KNOW from you directly in pm's Kathy, I never have. So there is no debating "these issues you have"(meaning me and I dont have issues). I enjoyed the back and forth with Paula and I also agree with Kathy on this and I stand by my reasons. And I love debating ideas about the books as a whole or parts of them. Debating is not a bad thing, its discussing things from both sides. The arguing only comes in when it gets personal.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
jodell7
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter

Guilt can have such an overbearing emotional impact on someone's life. I think maybe Grace was afraid to get to close to her daughter for fear she might lose her. She lost everyone around her that she loved. She may have also been punishing herself for what she did so long ago. Having lived with that type of secret for so long must of affected so of the decisions in her later life. I think she did feel responsible in the end for all of their deaths. If she had told Hannah she didn't know shorthand, it would of never happened. I think she feels that her lie, caused the series of events to happen and most certainly her actions at the end were the cause of Robbie's death. I think Hannah blamed her for everything up until the minute she died.
Contributor
jodell7
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter The lie The deception S P O I L E R

I agree that Hannah was deceitful and manipulative at times, but not in a vicious way. It was her nature. Individuals that have those qualities, don't realize that they are using others and hurting others in the quest for what they want.
Correspondent
m3girl
Posts: 194
Registered: ‎03-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter

That one little lie - drove the whole story and the result was devastating. Too bad she couldnt' read shorthand!!

I was happy to get my last question answered - about the money....but also sad that Hannah never learned that they were 1/2 sisters - or if she knew she never acknowledged it....

A wonderful story that kept me turning the pages...night after night....

Can't wait to read the next one!!
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter


m3girl wrote:
That one little lie - drove the whole story and the result was devastating. Too bad she couldnt' read shorthand!!

I was happy to get my last question answered - about the money....but also sad that Hannah never learned that they were 1/2 sisters - or if she knew she never acknowledged it....

A wonderful story that kept me turning the pages...night after night....

Can't wait to read the next one!!


Do you mean the lie about knowing shorthand? Do you think that is what caused the devastation and not the bigger lie of adultery? Just curious because this particular story sure brings out peoples views on the nature of lying and what is worse than another.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
Novanglus
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎09-22-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter

I think this was The Game again. Grace, Hannah, and Robbie being the players this time. Grace unwittingly though. The fake drowning reminds me at Emmeline's kidnapping when they were children. You could say it is The Game that is responsible for Robbie's death. If they could have done things without the mystery, or sense of adventure they could have gone away fine. Just disappeared one day across the sea in his boat, but for Hannah the secret was the biggest allure. She felt alive again when she has the secret of Robbie to keep. The adventure of her faked drowning, the secret of her still being alive, all too captivating for her. Ultimately it is getting caught up in this that doomed them.

Even if Grace had come clean about shorthand, even if Grace knew shorthand and went along with the scheme they could not have succeeded. Teddy was coming to the lake. I do not think they were leaving the very second Grace and Emmeline arrived. It only took Teddy what seemed like a couple minutes to get there after Robbie what shot. Teddy coming had nothing to do with Grace, that would have happened no matter what. He would have discovered the two of them together, then what? Teddy starts yelling about what a disgrace this is, and Robbie freaks out and kills Teddy maybe? Teddy stalks off to the house and returns with the same rifle Fredrick offed himself with to kill the adulterers? (This seems unlikely Teddy seems to mild for this type of reaction.) But regardless, The Game doomed them one way or another.
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write. -John Adams
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter -- "One little lie"


m3girl wrote:
That one little lie - drove the whole story and the result was devastating. Too bad she couldnt' read shorthand!!

I was happy to get my last question answered - about the money....but also sad that Hannah never learned that they were 1/2 sisters - or if she knew she never acknowledged it....

A wonderful story that kept me turning the pages...night after night....

Can't wait to read the next one!!


Exactly what was the "one little lie"?

Personally, I find it absolutely ridiculous that the encounter in the street had anything serious to do with the ultimate catastrophes of the story (pp.115-117, do go back and reread them?) -- even though I will equally adamantly acknowledge that the entire story might (would?) have been entirely different without that little exchange.

What was the one little lie? a) that Grace didn't tell Hannah that she had Valley of Fear hidden under her coat? (What an appropriate title -- does anyone know Sherlock Holmes well enough to know if there is another level of allusion here?) b) that Grace let Hannah assume she was taking shorthand lessons? c) that Grace let Hannah think they shared a secret? d) Other.

I would posit that as far as the devolution of the story is concerned, far more significant (than any initial "little" lie or secret) is that Grace allowed Hannah to continue to believe she knew shorthand, or, to put it another way, that she continued to nurture a secret relationship with Hannah. But, in a sense, the "shorthand secret" became a literary metaphor for the far deeper secret that existed between them.

I make no argument here that but what the smallest things we say or do occasionally have consequences of incomprehensibly devastating or enriching scope, even though (thankfully?) most will fade into oblivion. I think most of us who have lived beyond forty, and I might well say twenty-five, can recognize times when we wish we had handled 30 seconds of communications differently, and we have had to live out the consequences that we did not. (Hopefully, there are also a few memories where we are so glad the exchanges happened exactly as they did.)

But, I do think that we touch one of the core reasons that Grace needs to tell her story to Marcus. We are told that he felt guilty for the death of his ex-wife, Rebecca. Grace, the dying grandmother, knows that her story includes a parable about guilt and responsibility and causation, and she hopes it can have value to her grandson.

(In reinforcement of this line of exploration, I see now on p. 447: "He is holding my hand now. 'The stories you sent. I'd forgotten how much I liked stories. Reading them, listening to them. Writing them. Since Rebecca...It was such a shock...I just couldn't...' He takes a deep breath, gives me a little smile. Begins again. 'I'd forgotten how much I needed stories.'"

We are reminded of the importance of stories to living -- and dying.

Note also p. 73:
"I am not overly religious. Indeed there have been times when all faith has deserted me. But I made my peace with God a long time ago. Age is the great mellower. And besides, Ruth likes to go, and it's a small enough gesture for me to make. {Italics added.}

"It is Lent, the period of soul-searching and repentance that always precedes Easter, and this morning the church pulpit was draped in purple. The sermon was pleasant enough, its subject guilt and forgiveness. (Fitting when one considers the endeavour I have decided to undertake.)...."

Note the reference to Judas -- I didn't think/notice about the significance of not being the betrayer when I read this originally. Clever foreshadowing.)
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Hannah's Letter

[ Edited ]
Oops --- sorry! Not sure what and how, but just messed up and double posted! :smileysad:

Message Edited by Peppermill on 02-02-2008 11:47 PM
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 612 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: