Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Riverton Revisited

dhaupt wrote:
This chapter was a very emotional one for me, so many secrets outed and so many more not.
I thought it quite good to see that the old house is still taken care of by Mr. Hamilton and Mrs. Townsend and how telling is Grace's response to him that she's tired and he says not too long now. That almost made me cry.
In Hannah's ramblings during her delivery is she really blaming Grace for something and what.
I always knew not knowing shorthand was important in this book, but we still don't know do we.
I do think that Ursula's Florence is Hannah's daughter.

I also thought this was a very emotional chapter. The fact that she sees and talks to Mr. Hamilton and he talks about himself and Mrs. Townsend wondering when they might see Grace again. Then she says she's tired and he says, not long now, made me want to cry. I knew what that meant and I don't want Grace to go.
Why wouldn't Emmeline come to see Hannah? She just seemed to go really wild. I liked the fact that Grace told Hannah. How did Hannah already know?
When Hannah confronts Grace about not reading shorthand, I wondered what was in the letter she left for Grace on the night of the party. When the first note in shorthand came up, I didn't think it that important but now I'm changing my view.
I had hoped that Hannah would live for her daughter. Especially since she appears to be Robbie's. I think Deobrah knew and told Teddy. I also think that this is Ursula's connection to the family.
Most likely Hannah was mad at Grace because of the letter she left her. Back to the shorthand.
Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

I found the visit to Riverton with Ursula to be lovely. Did Grace really see the ghost of Mr. Hamilton or is it her mind playing tricks on her? I am going for the ghost theory. I was not surprised by Hannahs confession to Grace about her affair with Robbie but I was not surprised that Hannah was pregnant by Robbie. I almost kind of expected that. Robbies actual death was never really examined, just hints: Emmeline and Hannah not interogated by the authorities, blood on them etc. Keeping Emmelines death a secret from Hannah was wrong by the family yet Hannah knew it, deep down she knew it. There is some deep dark secret that will be tied to shorthand somehow. How sad to send baby Florence to the US just because she was Hannahs lovers baby, why couldn't Teddy and Hannah just raise it as their own...but I guess that was the times. I found the scene at the end of the chapter where Grace says goodbye to the ghost of Mr. Hamilton at Riverton and Ruth is waiting for her with a huge smile upon her return to Heathview very touching.
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

It struck me as a bit forced, too. Throughout the book there were plenty of opportunities for Morton to suggest a supernatural aspect, but she didn't go that direction. To add that element right at the end was, for me, an unnatural twist.

BevS wrote:
The "ghosty" thing at the end of the book kind of turned me off, but still the ending was great and the book was great and I will recommend it to others!

0 Kudos

I loved this chapter. Revisiting Riverton was emotional for Grace and I thought handled very well. The telling part for me was her statement that when you serve another person, you lose yourself. When she lost Hannah, part of Grace died and it took a very long time for her to get it back.

I felt very sorry for Hannah, but I also felt that she again demonstrated how much she resembled her father. Losing someone you love seemed to make them withdraw from life completely and just let things go. I was actually a little surprised that Hannah didn't want to live for the sake of the child, but then I remembered the parallel with her father and it seemed like her only course of action was to fade out.

Everything is coming together. I shall miss this book.

Nancy
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
It struck me as a bit forced, too. Throughout the book there were plenty of opportunities for Morton to suggest a supernatural aspect, but she didn't go that direction. To add that element right at the end was, for me, an unnatural twist.

BevS wrote:
The "ghosty" thing at the end of the book kind of turned me off, but still the ending was great and the book was great and I will recommend it to others!

I didn't think of it as a supernatural aspect. I feel it was more of a mind trick. All through the book Grace "sees" and feels things in the form of memories. Maybe in the end, after all was said and done, she wanted to go believe she could go back.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

nfam wrote:
I loved this chapter. Revisiting Riverton was emotional for Grace and I thought handled very well. The telling part for me was her statement that when you serve another person, you lose yourself. When she lost Hannah, part of Grace died and it took a very long time for her to get it back.

I felt very sorry for Hannah, but I also felt that she again demonstrated how much she resembled her father. Losing someone you love seemed to make them withdraw from life completely and just let things go. I was actually a little surprised that Hannah didn't want to live for the sake of the child, but then I remembered the parallel with her father and it seemed like her only course of action was to fade out.

Nancy

Yes, a really good summation! The statement in which Grace said To serve another person, you lose yourself. I think Grace had taken her soul, body and spirit and put it in to Hannah and it still did not change Hannah's sad outlook on other people. She only knew to use Grace like all other people around her and use her she did. SHe took everything Grace had. And when she died, Grace had to renew everything inside of herself.
KxBurns
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Riverton Revisited (MAJOR SPOILER HERE!)

BevS, kiakar, Paula, please be mindful that this thread is for discussion of the chapter "Riverton Revisited," not the events of "The End."

Please take any discussion of that chapter over to the appropriate thread.

Thanks!
Karen
KxBurns
0 Kudos

nfam wrote:

Nancy

Your comment has caused me to ponder why Hannah chose not to live for her child. I agree it has much to do with a coping style that she shared with her father. And possibly, the loss of everyone she ever loved left her much like Grace, too spent emotionally to have the resources to love her own child, even if it was Robbie's.

Or maybe, the fact that it was Robbie's is yet another reason she feels like giving up -- the child would be a constant reminder of a love lost?
dhaupt
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

goingeast wrote:
Does anyone understand why on p434 Grace says..."I tried to talk her round, remind her it wasn't her fault, she couldn't have saved him, but she only looked at me, a bemused expression on her face. As if she didn't know of what I spoke or, worse, doubted my reasons for saying such a thing."

[edited for spoilers by moderator]

I think you have to finish the book before you understand this, it's one of the little tidbits Ms. Morton has continually fed us through out the book that at the end will answer most if not all of our questions. And if you read on pg 438 when Hannah says to Grace "you can't read shorthand" I think this is the most telling statement in the whole book.
Debbie

Message Edited by KxBurns on 01-16-2008 05:58 PM

So in a way, Hannah is saying to Grace with her bemused expression, you are at fault because you didnt know shorthand. She is blaming Grace for what happened. There was no sudden revelation of truth that hit Hannah before she died. She still didnt realize this was her doing.

I don't know what I believe about what Hannah thought at the end. I don't know if she knew what she thought she was just so despondent maybe she was looking for other people to blame.
Debbie
Frequent Contributor
carriele
0 Kudos

Re: Hannah not living for her child

KxBurns wrote:

nfam wrote:

Nancy

Your comment has caused me to ponder why Hannah chose not to live for her child. I agree it has much to do with a coping style that she shared with her father. And possibly, the loss of everyone she ever loved left her much like Grace, too spent emotionally to have the resources to love her own child, even if it was Robbie's.

Or maybe, the fact that it was Robbie's is yet another reason she feels like giving up -- the child would be a constant reminder of a love lost?

I really pondered why Hannah gave up when she was bringing Robbie's child (so we assume) into the world. Maybe it was because she feared that Teddy would eventually realize that the child was not his and send the child away, much like Grace was sent away from Frederick. Perhaps not being able to see your child grow up and spend time with him or her seemed like a fate far worse than death to Hannah.

Carrie E.
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

Notes from the chapter:

1. It is wild to see the Riverton mansion as a tourist attraction in present day. It must have been strange for Grace to return as an old woman and as a tourist to the place she live for all those years.

2. Page 428 - Hannah had a secret - foreshadowing of her pregnancy and a hint at who the father is....yikes!

3. I was surprised to learn that Deborah went with them to Riverton rather than staying in London. Guess she didn't have much of a life there after all.

4. The big event - and the hint of going unnoticed in a large energetic crowd is a wonderful hint of what she plans for the evening - doesn't quite work out that way, unfortunately - and that is hinted throughout the story.

5. Page 434 - Teddy mistaking Hannah's compliance for consent - just as we would expect from a man like Teddy. Timing works out well for Hannah - at least during the pregnancy she is able to hide the truth of the baby's father. Teddy seems only interested in the baby - not so much about Hannah - as it is a potential 'heir'....

6. Emmeline's drunken car accident - was it really an accident or was it another family suicide? She tried to hide her grief over the loss of Robbie and her sister - but didn't really do such a good job of dealing with it all.

7. I love Hannah's comment about the shorthand - and how themeaning of it is revealed at the right time!!!

8. Hannah dies in childbirth - and it is that wonderful woman Deborah who hurts her one last time by figuring out that Teddy is not the baby's father.

At the end of the chapter I am still curious to learn what really happened at teh lake and the source of the unexpected money that came Grace's way....
Users Online
Currently online:52 members 678 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: