Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

KxBurns
0 Kudos

PART FOUR: Riverton Revisited

I enjoyed the juxtaposition of young and old Grace returning to Riverton, each confronting her past self: "Here and there, then and now, simultaneously, at the capricious whim of time" (p. 425). What are the parallels in their homecomings?

For the remainder of this chapter, we find out some of the terrible aftermath of the incident at the lake. Hannah and Emmeline diverge even in their suffering, but both die tragically soon after the event. The effect of Hannah's death on Grace illuminates her relationship with her own child even more:
"Afterwards, I was broken. Bereft. In an odd way, I had lost myself. That is what happens when you give your life and service to another person. You're bound to them. Without Hannah, I was without function. ...I had no capacity for feeling. Was emptied, just as surely as if someone had slit me open like a dying fish and scraped out everything inside" (p. 439).

Questions remaining after this chapter are:
- what role did Grace's lie of omission about knowing shorthand play in the tragedy?
- is Hannah's daughter Florence the source of Ursula's connection to the story?

Karen
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Riverton Revisited

[ Edited ]
sorry, edited this myself, talked about something that was actually the next chapter.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 01-14-2008 01:53 AM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
dhaupt
0 Kudos

This chapter was a very emotional one for me, so many secrets outed and so many more not.
I thought it quite good to see that the old house is still taken care of by Mr. Hamilton and Mrs. Townsend and how telling is Grace's response to him that she's tired and he says not too long now. That almost made me cry.
In Hannah's ramblings during her delivery is she really blaming Grace for something and what.
I always knew not knowing shorthand was important in this book, but we still don't know do we.
I do think that Ursula's Florence is Hannah's daughter.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I dearly loved it when Grace saw Mr. Hamilton and spoke to him at Riverton, her last visit and he said it wasnt going to be long for Grace to rest.
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I felt that Ursula was tied directly with the family since early in the book, so I believe that Grandma Florence is Hannah's daughter.

Ruth is happy. It makes me wonder what Ruth was really like.
Frequent Contributor
crazyasitsounds
0 Kudos

KxBurns wrote:

"Afterwards, I was broken. Bereft. In an odd way, I had lost myself. That is what happens when you give your life and service to another person. You're bound to them. Without Hannah, I was without function. ...I had no capacity for feeling. Was emptied, just as surely as if someone had slit me open like a dying fish and scraped out everything inside" (p. 439).

That's exactly what I was afraid would happen to Grace, but I didn't put it together with her experience as a mother until I read this chapter.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Tarri wrote:
I felt that Ursula was tied directly with the family since early in the book, so I believe that Grandma Florence is Hannah's daughter.

Tarri, I felt that way too...especially when they described Grandma Florence. We never got to know Ruth very well in the book; but then Grace was the narrator and the tension she still had with her daughter showed through. However, she has Ruth to thank for Marcus.

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
GMorrison
0 Kudos

Tarri wrote:

I think so as well, and I liked very much that Grace kept this to herself throughout her interactions with Ursula. This is a very different reaction than what one would expect from today's tell-all talk show culture, but very true to Grace's own moral compass. I appreciate that Ms. Morton didn't milk this for easy emotional payoffs, but remained true to her characters.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

GMorrison wrote:

Tarri wrote: I felt that Ursula was tied directly with the family since early in the book, so I believe that Grandma Florence is Hannah's daughter.
I think so as well, and I liked very much that Grace kept this to herself throughout her interactions with Ursula. This is a very different reaction than what one would expect from today's tell-all talk show culture, but very true to Grace's own moral compass. I appreciate that Ms. Morton didn't milk this for easy emotional payoffs, but remained true to her characters.
I presume an implication of this would be that Ursula's son should not be at risk of inherited hemophilia, since Jemima (Gytha's mother), not Penelope (Hannah's mother), is the known carrier in the Hartford family?
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Right on, Pepper--astute observation!

Joan
Inspired Contributor
goingeast
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Does anyone understand why on p434 Grace says..."I tried to talk her round, remind her it wasn't her fault, she couldn't have saved him, but she only looked at me, a bemused expression on her face. As if she didn't know of what I spoke or, worse, doubted my reasons for saying such a thing."

[edited for spoilers by moderator]

Message Edited by KxBurns on 01-16-2008 05:57 PM
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

goingeast wrote:
Does anyone understand why on p434 Grace says..."I tried to talk her round, remind her it wasn't her fault, she couldn't have saved him, but she only looked at me, a bemused expression on her face. As if she didn't know of what I spoke or, worse, doubted my reasons for saying such a thing."

I think you have to finish the book before you understand this, it's one of the little tidbits Ms. Morton has continually fed us through out the book that at the end will answer most if not all of our questions. And if you read on pg 438 when Hannah says to Grace "you can't read shorthand" I think this is the most telling statement in the whole book.
Debbie

Message Edited by KxBurns on 01-16-2008 05:58 PM
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

goingeast wrote:

[edited for sopilers by narrator]

Message Edited by KxBurns on 01-16-2008 05:59 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Contributor
goingeast
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Message Edited by goingeast on 01-16-2008 11:52 AM
Inspired Contributor
goingeast
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I apologize. Except for the remarks on the quotation, my comments above belong in The Tape, not in Riverton Revisited.

Message Edited by goingeast on 01-16-2008 12:13 PM
Contributor
BevS
0 Kudos

The "ghosty" thing at the end of the book kind of turned me off, but still the ending was great and the book was great and I will recommend it to others!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BevS wrote:
The "ghosty" thing at the end of the book kind of turned me off, but still the ending was great and the book was great and I will recommend it to others!

[edited by moderator]

Message Edited by KxBurns on 01-20-2008 10:29 PM
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Tarri wrote:

Ruth's character was not developed at all. Not enought for us to reconize at first, she wasnt really a cold person but was deep in thought probably about her son's disappearance.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

goingeast wrote:

I think you have to finish the book before you understand this, it's one of the little tidbits Ms. Morton has continually fed us through out the book that at the end will answer most if not all of our questions. And if you read on pg 438 when Hannah says to Grace "you can't read shorthand" I think this is the most telling statement in the whole book.
Debbie

Message Edited by KxBurns on 01-16-2008 05:58 PM

So in a way, Hannah is saying to Grace with her bemused expression, you are at fault because you didnt know shorthand. She is blaming Grace for what happened. There was no sudden revelation of truth that hit Hannah before she died. She still didnt realize this was her doing.
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Re: PART FOUR: Riverton Revisited (MAJOR SPOILER HERE!)

[ Edited ]
BevS wrote: "The "ghosty" thing at the end of the book kind of turned me off, but still the ending was great and the book was great and I will recommend it to others!"

Bev, could you explain why the "ghosty" think at the end turned you off? I am interested in hearing your take on the ending.

Message Edited by KxBurns on 01-20-2008 10:31 PM
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 396 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: