Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole



nfam wrote:
This chapter seems to have a great deal of intentional and unintentional cruelty. Sylvia leaves Grace alone in the sun. She doesn't check to make sure her charge is doing all right and in fact Grace is tired of waiting, thirsty and really shouldn't have been left alone that long. Sylvia also takes advantage of Grace when she tried to get her to talk to her boyfriend. The boyfriend is even more gauche. Grace is obviously tired and he keeps pressing her for details of her life at Riverton. Finally Grace succumbs to the heat and has to be taken away in an ambulance. It's frightening that they don't seem to see her as a real person. She thinks perhaps Marcus will, I hope so.

Nancy




It did seem in a way that Sylvia wasn't being as attendive as she should have been with Grace. I guess she got caught up in all the excitement of her boyfriend.
Contributor
kmliska
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎12-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole



lamorgan wrote:
This chapter seems to reveal that Teddy is perhaps too attached to his family and not able to make a complete commitment to Hannah. He seems to take their side over hers and allows his family to dictate how they should live. If Teddy had more of a backbone, perhaps Hannah's "like" for him could have turned to love eventually.




I agree with you. I think Teddy just goes along with what the family wants. It seems as if Hannah is a necessity. He must have a wife but he is still devoted to his family and their goals. I think their relationship would be much different if he was a little more independent and did what was right for him and Hannah.
Contributor
kmliska
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎12-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole

I may be wrong but I didn't really think Sylvia was exploiting Grace. I don't think it was planned since it was a group trip. I think it just worked out that they were both there and Sylvia knew that her boyfriend would like to talk to her. I also think she may have been excited to introduce Grace to her boyfriend. She was very excited when she was telling her about him in the beginning of the book.
I wasn't happy when Grace decided to follow Hannah. I know that She doesn't end up with Alfred but I cant help but wish that they do. I would rather have seen her stay and meet him on time. I can understand that she feels she needs to make sure that Hannah isn't in danger since but it seems like Grace's own life is being put aside for Hannah's.
Wordsmith
maude40
Posts: 357
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole

I'm again taken by Ms. Morton's wonderful descriptions. on page 291 Grace's old age jumps off the page. "I claw my fingers around the armrest, lean so that my elbow digs my ribs and push myself upwards, hugging the rail. I hover for a moment, then transfer my weight to my cane, waiting for the landscape to stand still."

On page 298 more evidence that Grace is probably Frederick's daughter. "Gone all gloomy since you left. Must've had a soft spot for you, eh?"

Loved the second paragraph on page 301 that describes photography. In the next paragraph Grace says, "If I didn't know better, I'd think there was a fifth person in the photo, behind the haze." Who would that be?
Yvonne
Moderator
KxBurns
Posts: 1,006
Registered: ‎09-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole


nfam wrote:
This chapter seems to have a great deal of intentional and unintentional cruelty. Sylvia leaves Grace alone in the sun. She doesn't check to make sure her charge is doing all right and in fact Grace is tired of waiting, thirsty and really shouldn't have been left alone that long. Sylvia also takes advantage of Grace when she tried to get her to talk to her boyfriend. The boyfriend is even more gauche. Grace is obviously tired and he keeps pressing her for details of her life at Riverton. Finally Grace succumbs to the heat and has to be taken away in an ambulance. It's frightening that they don't seem to see her as a real person. She thinks perhaps Marcus will, I hope so.

Nancy



Nancy, I love your idea of unintentional cruelty. What other instances of unintentional cruelty have we seen in the book thus far? How much culpability does one bear when he/she is unintentionally cruel?
Moderator
KxBurns
Posts: 1,006
Registered: ‎09-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole



maude40 wrote:
I'm again taken by Ms. Morton's wonderful descriptions. on page 291 Grace's old age jumps off the page. "I claw my fingers around the armrest, lean so that my elbow digs my ribs and push myself upwards, hugging the rail. I hover for a moment, then transfer my weight to my cane, waiting for the landscape to stand still."

On page 298 more evidence that Grace is probably Frederick's daughter. "Gone all gloomy since you left. Must've had a soft spot for you, eh?"

Loved the second paragraph on page 301 that describes photography. In the next paragraph Grace says, "If I didn't know better, I'd think there was a fifth person in the photo, behind the haze." Who would that be?
Yvonne



Yvonne, I believe she's referring to Robbie because she follows the statement you highlighted with this: "There's not of course. There are no photos of Robbie at Riverton. He only came the two times."

Karen
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole

[ Edited ]
KxBurns wrote:
Nancy, I love your idea of unintentional cruelty. What other instances of unintentional cruelty have we seen in the book thus far? How much culpability does one bear when he/she is unintentionally cruel?
_______________________________________________

Karen,
It would take two pages to note all of the unintentional cruelty in the book, but to paraphrase:
Grace's treatment of Ruth & Alfred. Grace's mothers treatment of her. Frederick's treatment of his children. Teddy's treatment of Hannah. And I can go on.
As far as culpability goes I think if it was done out of ignorance then no. But if it was out of indifference then yes.

Message Edited by dhaupt on 01-21-2008 09:40 AM
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
Posts: 546
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole



lamorgan wrote:
This chapter seems to reveal that Teddy is perhaps too attached to his family and not able to make a complete commitment to Hannah. He seems to take their side over hers and allows his family to dictate how they should live. If Teddy had more of a backbone, perhaps Hannah's "like" for him could have turned to love eventually.




Teddy is a traditionalist after all. He expects what society has deemed the norm. He see Hannah as wife, not an individual.
MG
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
Posts: 546
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole



lamorgan wrote:
And what is Teddy doing running for politics in England when he is an American?




Teddy was not an Anerican. His mother was American. He was born and raised in England. He was running for Parlament.
MG
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
Posts: 546
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole



JoyZ wrote:
I was not shocked that Teddy had been a Nazi sympathizer because I felt Hilter was just coming into power and that he hadn't committed any atrocities yet.

I liked the line about there being a chasm between Teddy's ambitions and his actions - just like Frederick, wouldn't you say? I think they were both good men that got caught up with being pressured by their families and how those sacrifices to family changed their lives.

I'm anxious to find out how the fire at Riverton started.




Hitler got more aggressive as he gained more power. He was only elected on his third try, and not by a large margin the first time. As the economy improved, he gained more power and eventually became a dictator. He really sneaked up on the Germans.
Teddy's sympathies were stictly business. If he could make money nothing else mattered.
MG
Frequent Contributor
CanTri
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole

p. 300 Sylvia pointing out Anthony for the first time to Grace
That's him there, Sylvia whispers, indicating a man whose ordinariness renders him vaguely familiar.

Is he so ordinary that he could pass as anyone, nothing remarkable about him OR is he ordinary in a familiar way that someone in the past was ordinary (and hence Anthony could be grandchild of some Riverton folk).
Frequent Contributor
CanTri
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole

For lack of knowing where else to put it (someone else may have pointed it out already on another thread).

second paragraph down on p.303. I have a random 3 on my page.
"I3 can no longer be trusted with hot liquids."

The 3 should probably be removed before the next publishing.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole

Teddy is a traditionalist after all. He expects what society has deemed the norm. He see Hannah as wife, not an individual.
MG





I agree with this 100%.
Correspondent
m3girl
Posts: 194
Registered: ‎03-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole

Some notes from the chapter:

1.There is another hint about Robbie - p 301. There are no photos of Robbie at Riverton. He only came the two times. It's an interesting line that sort of pops out of no where. I guess this is something you can do when you are writing as an older person - you can sometimes ramble and provide hints to the reader. And then she mentions the fire at Riverton right before WW2...just that once she mentions it.....

2. I would like to learn more about Marcus.

3. Teddy and Hitler ... yikes! NOw I guess that should not come as a big surprise - especially with the explanation that he did business with the nazi's before the world really know what they were up to. And I would guess there were other business men that did the same. But still - to have it be Teddy is significant and puts another layer of yuk on his character.

4. Several good teasers - more about Robbie...at Riverton...And what happened to Hannah and Teddy? Could and would she leave him?
Correspondent
HannibalCat
Posts: 238
Registered: ‎10-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole



kmliska wrote:


lamorgan wrote:
This chapter seems to reveal that Teddy is perhaps too attached to his family and not able to make a complete commitment to Hannah. He seems to take their side over hers and allows his family to dictate how they should live. If Teddy had more of a backbone, perhaps Hannah's "like" for him could have turned to love eventually.




I agree with you. I think Teddy just goes along with what the family wants. It seems as if Hannah is a necessity. He must have a wife but he is still devoted to his family and their goals. I think their relationship would be much different if he was a little more independent and did what was right for him and Hannah.




Ditto. I can't help but wonder how things might have been if he had more backbone. The blame game has lots of shoulders it could land on.
Correspondent
HannibalCat
Posts: 238
Registered: ‎10-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Down the Rabbit Hole



dhaupt wrote:
KxBurns wrote:
Nancy, I love your idea of unintentional cruelty. What other instances of unintentional cruelty have we seen in the book thus far? How much culpability does one bear when he/she is unintentionally cruel?
_______________________________________________

Karen,
It would take two pages to note all of the unintentional cruelty in the book, but to paraphrase:
Grace's treatment of Ruth & Alfred. Grace's mothers treatment of her. Frederick's treatment of his children. Teddy's treatment of Hannah. And I can go on.
As far as culpability goes I think if it was done out of ignorance then no. But if it was out of indifference then yes.

Message Edited by dhaupt on 01-21-2008 09:40 AM




I disagree with the lack of culpability if it was done unintentionally. Even if innocent, injury has occurred, and the person shares in the responsibility. Of course, I agree with you that intentional cruelty is culpable. But usually that type of person exonerates him/herself by rationalizing the situation and their part in it. So the innocent person feels bad, and the guilty one doesn't. It is indeed a theme that runs through the book.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,345 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: