Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

Re: PART THREE: Resurrection

David is an extremely important character in the story, although possibly not to Ursula the film maker looking at the ending rather than the beginning. I think that the relationship between the three siblings, the triangle, and the secrets of the Game, set up the dynamic for what happens in the end. David was the lynch pin, as it says in the chapter where his death is reported, with one leg of the triangle missing, the sisters slammed against each other as though drawn by a rubber band. From what I can see, they keep doing this throughout the rest of the story. In the end the relationship between the sisters must be in some way responsible for the tragedy.

Nancy
Contributor
kmliska
0 Kudos

I think if Ursula knew the whole story she would think David was more important. The family seems to have started to fall apart when he decided to leave. Hannah felt deserted by him which lead her to search for her own adventures. When Hannah left Emmeline felt deserted which lead to her behavior. I think if David had stayed their lives would have turned out much differently.
Grace seems to be very close to finding out who her father is. I wish Alfred knew more or that her mother had just told her. Grace would change a lot if she had known her her father was.
Why is Mrs. Tibbit so set on making Grace miserable? She didn't have to tell Alfred that Grace wouldn't be back for a long time. Its too bad that they missed each other by just minutes.
I do think that Alfred it close to proposing. He seems to be working up to it.
KxBurns
0 Kudos

nfam wrote:
David is an extremely important character in the story, although possibly not to Ursula the film maker looking at the ending rather than the beginning. I think that the relationship between the three siblings, the triangle, and the secrets of the Game, set up the dynamic for what happens in the end. David was the lynch pin, as it says in the chapter where his death is reported, with one leg of the triangle missing, the sisters slammed against each other as though drawn by a rubber band. From what I can see, they keep doing this throughout the rest of the story. In the end the relationship between the sisters must be in some way responsible for the tragedy.

Nancy

Absolutely. I think David's death instigates the reckless behavior of both sisters. With Hannah, I think she rebels against the responsibility of being the oldest sibling because it represents another shackle preventing her from having independence. And Emmeline just becomes sort of neglected and allowed to run wild.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Do these passages about the results of the loss of David constitute commentary on Iraq by Morton?

kmliska wrote: I think if Ursula knew the whole story she would think David was more important. The family seems to have started to fall apart when he decided to leave. Hannah felt deserted by him which lead her to search for her own adventures. When Hannah left Emmeline felt deserted which lead to her behavior. I think if David had stayed their lives would have turned out much differently....
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

Comments from reading the chapter:

1. Grace still has not figured out the connection between her mother and Frederick - even after seeing him in the distance at the funeral. One reason may be that every time she gets a big hint - right between the eyes - there is something else going on that takes the hint out of her mind and distracts her attention.

2. This time it is the funeral itself but also seeing Alfred at the funeral that takes her attention away from the Frederick/Mother prospect.

I think the author has done a fantastic job here - providing hints to the reader that we clearly understand - while also providing them to Grace - yet she doesn't put it all together. This is difficult to do - without leading us to believe Grace is just an idiot and can't figure it out. I don't think she is an idiot - I think that every time there is a strong hint - her mind is elsewhere - and that is a believable excuse for her inability to figure things out quickly. I am writing a novel and dealing with the same sort of thing - and it is tough to give all the hint while keeping the protag in the dark.

3. And what does Alfred want to tell/ask her? Is it a proposal? And will she break his heart?
KxBurns
0 Kudos

m3girl wrote:
Comments from reading the chapter:

1. Grace still has not figured out the connection between her mother and Frederick - even after seeing him in the distance at the funeral. One reason may be that every time she gets a big hint - right between the eyes - there is something else going on that takes the hint out of her mind and distracts her attention.

2. This time it is the funeral itself but also seeing Alfred at the funeral that takes her attention away from the Frederick/Mother prospect.

I think the author has done a fantastic job here - providing hints to the reader that we clearly understand - while also providing them to Grace - yet she doesn't put it all together. This is difficult to do - without leading us to believe Grace is just an idiot and can't figure it out. I don't think she is an idiot - I think that every time there is a strong hint - her mind is elsewhere - and that is a believable excuse for her inability to figure things out quickly. I am writing a novel and dealing with the same sort of thing - and it is tough to give all the hint while keeping the protag in the dark.

This is a very writerly observation. I know some of us feel frustrated by how blind Grace is to the seemingly obvious, but it is indeed a feat to have the reader be privy to something while keeping the main character in the dark for so long. Grace's blindness to the truth seems willful to me, but there certainly are plenty of distractions to keep her from focusing for too long on the matter.
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

Thanks. I have to say I have learned a thing or two from this author! And maybe someday my novel will be the first look book club choice!! Dreaming here!!
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

m3girl wrote:
Thanks. I have to say I have learned a thing or two from this author! And maybe someday my novel will be the first look book club choice!! Dreaming here!!

Keep right on dreaming. Do you think Morton didn't dream? I would look forward to reading your book WHEN it gets published.
A fellow dreamer.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

m3girl wrote:

Never let go of your dreams until you can't dream anymore. I would like to read your book also. Linda
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 213 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: