Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Re: PART TWO: A Suitable Husband

Tarri wrote:
If Fanny had not had the conversation with Emmeline (for Hannah's benefit), I wonder if the scene at the bridge would have made Hannah feel an attraction to Teddy. Hannah wants nothing more than freedom, she is young and impressionable and probably sees Teddy as the person who will set her free. I think Hannah was attracted to Teddy, especially after he saved her from losing her locket.

Also remember that Teddy did not laugh at her childhood games. He was intrigued and accepted her by not making fun and calling her silly.
MG
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Read-n-Rider wrote:
I think that Hannah was influenced by Fanny's description of the "freedoms" marriage had provided her, but I don't think that that in itself would have been enough to make her marry Teddy. I think the incident at the bridge was necessary, as it cast Teddy in a romantic light, making him a hero of sorts, restoring to her the locket, which she held very dear. Physical attraction occurred there, too, as Hannah was moved by the sight of Teddy in his wet, clinging clothes, and longed for him to hold her in his arms.

Joan

Is this the locket that Grace owns?
MG
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

ezraSid wrote:
I loved the part at the bridge. I found what Teddy did was quite romantic. It's no wonder that Hannah saw him in a different light. I wonder if she would have accepted his proposal if she hadn't. Who knows. I was sad to see Lady Violet leave this world. For all her conniving she was a sweet woman.

The thing that bothers me the most about the chapter is that Simion didn't help Frederick out even after the engagement was announced. Don't you think that he would help out a "family" member? I don't know, maybe I was hoping for too much. I think that perhaps if Simion would have bought into the company as an equal partner, he could have made changes that Frederick was reluctant to make and perhaps turn the business around.

The very end mentioning Robbie's resurrection.... it may just be me, but it sounds ominous.

What am I missing? I don't remember reading about Robbie in this chapter. I don't remember any talk of whether or not Simion helped Frederick or not either - Is that in the next chapter?
MG
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

psujulie wrote:
Awesome summary of the chapter, Karen, I guess that's why you're a moderator :smileyhappy:

I agree! These summaries are very helpful Karen. It's so handy to be able to have those at the beginning of the chapter discussions. When I'm reading the posts and skipping around it gets confusing sometimes. Your summaries have the important highlights and remind me of the events of each chapter. Thanks!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

psujulie wrote:
Awesome summary of the chapter, Karen, I guess that's why you're a moderator :smileyhappy:

I agree! These summaries are very helpful Karen. It's so handy to be able to have those at the beginning of the chapter discussions. When I'm reading the posts and skipping around it gets confusing sometimes. Your summaries have the important highlights and remind me of the events of each chapter. Thanks!

yes, Wrighty, I like them also. Thanks. Karen.
Frequent Contributor
Jodi
0 Kudos

Hannah married Teddy in May, of 1919.
Lady Clementine told Lady Violet that Hannah isn't going into society.
Lady Clementine says to Lady Violet that there would be plenty of time for Hannah to change her mind.
Lady Clementine told Lady Violet that Frederick is not a business man.
Lady Violet said to Lady Clementine that Frederick is hoping to get a loan with Mr. Luxton is involved with.
Lady Clementine and Teddy and Hannah go horse back riding for two hours, and when they got back Teddy was soaking wet. Hannah tells Grace what happens not for many months.
Teddy and Hannah have a conversation about what Teddy does for a living.
Hannah and Teddy go take a walk by a lake,stream.
Hannah tells Teddy about the game that her and brother and sister would play. She said that the bridge was magical. They had to run across the bridge, but there was a nasty and vengeful lake demon. Then she told him about that they used to write letters and turn them into boats and throw them over the bridge. She said she wrote to Jane Digby everytime. She told Teddy what was in the letters, that she wanted to be rescued and she wanted to go on her next adventure with her. At the time, Jane was all ready dead but Hannah didn't know that then.
One of the farmers found one of the letters and gave it to Hannah's father, and he was not happy about the letter.
Hannah's locket fell off of her neck into the river and Hannah and Teddy went into the river to try to get it. Teddy recovered her locket and gave it back to Hannah. She then realized that she had a crush on him. Now we know how Teddy got wet.
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

Here are some notes from my reading.

1. I was upset to learn that Hannah did marry Teddy. Would it be the end of her dreams of independence and adventure - no doubt.

2. I thought it was interesting the way the crowd at Riverton continued on as if thing had not changed. Hannah's party is only a challenge in that there just are not enough single men available due to the war - not because the bank accounts are running low. But then it is noted that "This family's future depends upon her match." What a heavy weight for a young girl to carry.

3. I want to shake Frederick - putting the entire family on the line for his badly run business.

4. More hints about Grace's father - is it Frederick? Will she find out? And what will Hannah say?

5. The rush to find Hannah a husband explains the results - perhaps a good choice for the overall family but maybe not so for Hannah.

6. The story of Hannah and Teddy is fun and realistic. I so hoped it wouldn't just be one of those forced/fixed arranged marriages.
KxBurns
0 Kudos

m3girl wrote:
The rush to find Hannah a husband explains the results - perhaps a good choice for the overall family but maybe not so for Hannah.

Well said, m3girl!
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

You know we are supposed to feel for Grace - the poor girl forced into service for this family at age 14 - but by the time she was an adult - she had more opportunities than Hannah - the one that we thought had it all...so to speak.
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

fordmg wrote:

Read-n-Rider wrote:
I think that Hannah was influenced by Fanny's description of the "freedoms" marriage had provided her, but I don't think that that in itself would have been enough to make her marry Teddy. I think the incident at the bridge was necessary, as it cast Teddy in a romantic light, making him a hero of sorts, restoring to her the locket, which she held very dear. Physical attraction occurred there, too, as Hannah was moved by the sight of Teddy in his wet, clinging clothes, and longed for him to hold her in his arms.

Joan

Is this the locket that Grace owns?
MG

Yes, I agree with you. I think both aspects were in play. Hannah was a romantic in many ways, even though she professed she would never marry, the romanticism in Teddy certainly played a part in her decision. And I believe she thought marriage would give her the freedom she was finally realizing would never come to her outside of marriage. So she accepted Fanny's point of view. Poor Hannah. She just could not see how she could get what she wanted on her own.
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 290 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: