Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ginger81
0 Kudos

Re: PART TWO: The Fall of Icarus

I agree, Penny. I think that Morton has actually done a great job with the character - Grace. Like you said, she is an elderly character attempting to confess a family secret in which she is the only one with any knowledge. That would be tough in itself, besides the fact that she is older and her memory sometimes drifts.
I am actually enjoying the anticipation. Although the secret is the 'big picture,' I believe in order for us to understand the secret, we must get to know and understand the characters taking part in the secret.

GW
GW
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

ginger81 wrote:
I agree, Penny. I think that Morton has actually done a great job with the character - Grace. Like you said, she is an elderly character attempting to confess a family secret in which she is the only one with any knowledge. That would be tough in itself, besides the fact that she is older and her memory sometimes drifts.
I am actually enjoying the anticipation. Although the secret is the 'big picture,' I believe in order for us to understand the secret, we must get to know and understand the characters taking part in the secret.

GW

That is good! Like what you said about Grace, the character.
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

penny70 wrote:

kmensing wrote:

Everyman wrote:
Well, I have to admit that at this point I'm getting a bit tired of Morton's strategy of hint-and-hide-the-ball. It was interesting in the first few chapters, but it keeps on keeping on, and I'm getting tired of it.

I realized that this isn't a traditional mystery, where the protagonist and we are on a joint search to figure out the clues and find out what happened. Grace knows what happened. She knows it all. But she (through Morton) just doles out hint after hint after hint, a fact here and there but more hints. I'm beginning to wonder what the point of this approach is other than to frustrate the reader.

I was pleased with this approach early on. But it has palled. I wish Morton would just get on with the story and tell us what Grace knows.

End of mini-rant.

I so agree! If I had purchased this book, I would probably speed read until I found out the "who done it/what does Grace know/how will it end". But I love this book club, so I'm going to finish each and every page.

kmensing

I think we need to remember though that we are getting the story from Grace as she is giving it to Marcus via tape. She wants the entire story told in the correct order and as she "talks" she finds herself ahead of the story and had to back up and get to that point in the story. As I read it I truly felt as if I was listening to an elderly person tell a memory that has to be hard to share; afterall, she has kept this secret for 40-50 years. Her history and training has got to be screaming for her to shut up .... the secrets of the family must be protected and kept at all time.

Penny

I'm really enjoying the "mystery is the mystery" slant, trying to figure out what the climax will be. For, example, I've figured out some things about Grace, Frederick, the butler, and the cook and am reading like crazy to see if I'm right. This approach, for me, is a lot of fun!
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

A few notes from the chapter:

1. Hannah thinks that David will return only once from the war for a visit to Riverton and then will end up in London after the war - living the life she would like to live. It must have been difficult to be a young and determined and independent girl back then and have an older brother that may be able to live the life and do the things you may only be able to dream about - how very unfair!

2. I became worried about her mother when Grace went to visit - does she have enough money to live? With Grace gone for weeks at a time - will she be ok alone?

3. It's a baby girl - therefore no hemophilia! Good for Jemima and her daughter - may not be so good for the family and it's fortunes with Frederick in charge.

4. Page 168 - an interesting comment - And if Mother were jealous that I had taken her place, why had she been so insistent I go into service at Riverton? Yes, why had she been so insistent? If Grace is really Frederick's daughter as I am believing is the case based on other character's reactions and comments from Grace - why would her Mother subject her to Riverton?
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

Popper19 wrote:
I too think Grace overstepped her bounds by telling the girls what she learned from the lawyer's conversation. I thougth the same as the previous poster in regards to the locket Hannah stroked. I'm wondering if it's the one that the current Grace possesses??? I'm enjoying the slow unraveling of this great story. I think this is a wonderful book!

I was wondering the same thing, about the locket. I wonder if we will find out.

I think Grace answered the girls' questions because of her afinity toward Hannah. I would guess that if it was just Emmeline she would not have answered her. But Grace wants to be bonded to Hannah is some way and so she goes beyond her bounds. I keep thinking of what a sad, disconnected person Grace is. She has no self.
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
I don't think Grace overstepped her bounds accepting the lemonade, what else was she to do and sometimes the masters did offer things to the servants. I don't worry as much about did she overstep her bounds in telling what she heard to Hannah, but I do worry for her for doing it. Hannah is a very strong person and you dont want her on your bad side. To outright acknowledge that you listen and hear things, especially to Hannah, who will have her own way, could come back to haunt her. I already worry what Hannah is going to do when she finds out Grace is not part of this special secret of learning shorthand and stuff that she thinks she is. Its a lie to try to be close, and I understand Grace wanting so much to be a part of these girls, but yes I think as with Icarus, she is flying to close to the sun, and one that could be cruelly burning too.

This chapter to me reinforces my feelings that Ursula is up to something more than she says. I could be completely wrong in all this but there is something dark about her searching out Grace and I do think that whole interview with her "mistake" of leaving the phone on and having to leave the room, was planned. Grace notices after Ursula's reaction to her mentioning her grandson, that there seemed to be something new behind Ursula's eyes, "A shadow I hadn't noticed earlier". Maybe its nothing, maybe Ursula is going to actually become close to her, missing her own grandmother and wanting to know more about her, she starts to see Grace as kind of a substitute, but I will have to wait and see I guess huh lol. :smileywink:

You bring up some very interesting points. I am questioning the significance of the shorthand, also. Grace makes innuendos about lies and hiding things and not being totally truthful. But I can't figure out how the shorthand business will come into it. I also like your reference to Grace as flying too close to the sun. Great analogy. I think you are right that she will have some kind of a fall.
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
I first thought Grace's mother had moved them into the sitting room with it done up, because someone was coming to visit, like maybe her mum had found an older man she was interested in to help each other through their olders years, a boyfriend or companion of needs lets say. But then when that didnt happen, and because of their talk, I wonder if maybe her mom was just trying to show Grace that she saw her as a budding adult, so she should sit where the adults do in their home and that would help reinforce her talk about watching what she does and knowing her place, because shes starting to get to a dangerous age that she knows too well herself.

Also, dont you think her mom's reaction to the news of Frederick and him not getting married and her curiousity about the times Grace is around him, is just further proof that he may be the one she loved, or at least had Grace by? Or that Morton is at least continuing to lead us to that conclusion?

I can't get over Grace's naivete. She never seems to question things that would have me going in circles. Why she isn't surprised to hear her mother's response shows how much she has been brainwashed by her mother. I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. Her mother has tried hard to teach her to stay in her place and accept her place because of her own mistakes and the consequences she has suffered. And I do think that the mother's reaction is reflective of her having once loved Frederick.

I think her mother was showing her respect when she had her in for tea. Mother is acknowledging Grace's growing up and doing well in her position.
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 185 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: