Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
KateMorton
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for the Author

KathyS wrote:

KateMorton wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Hi Ms. Morton,

I enjoyed Riverton and was quite amused by Nanny Brown's brief appearance. I would love to find out more about her and why she still lives on at Riverton. Do you have any plans for a prequal regarding Nanny Brown's time at Riverton?
Thanks for sharing your time with us,

What a great idea, LyndaSue! I had never thought of a prequel... and Nanny Brown, having been retained by the family for generations, would be perfectly positioned to narrate the story. My mind is boggling with the possibilities...
Kate

Did anyone ever take food and water to old Nanny Brown?! I picture her, stuffed along side of that foxhound!

K.

lol... You'll have to wait for the prequel to find out, Kathy!
Kate

Learn more about The House at Riverton.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

KateMorton wrote:

KathyS wrote:

KateMorton wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Hi Ms. Morton,

I enjoyed Riverton and was quite amused by Nanny Brown's brief appearance. I would love to find out more about her and why she still lives on at Riverton. Do you have any plans for a prequal regarding Nanny Brown's time at Riverton?

What a great idea, LyndaSue! I had never thought of a prequel... and Nanny Brown, having been retained by the family for generations, would be perfectly positioned to narrate the story. My mind is boggling with the possibilities...
Kate

Did anyone ever take food and water to old Nanny Brown?! I picture her, stuffed along side of that foxhound!

K.

lol... You'll have to wait for the prequel to find out, Kathy!
Kate

I can't wait! I'll look forward to it...although, Kate, you might want to take the ol gal a change of clothes, too, she's probably pretty dusty by now....Grace hasn't been around to dust her off in a loooong time!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

KateMorton wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Hi Ms. Morton,

Kate

When you write it, don't forget to give a nod to LyndaSue, I think she would deserve and love that, dont you? :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Terrie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Dear Kate,

I want to thank you for the wonderful book! It will now hold a place amongst my favorites!

I love learning about the "upstairs/downstairs" culture and am drawn to those stories, as well as narratives written from the perspective of someone who has lived the story. As you had hoped, I was completely drawn into the story; the characters were very real and I couldn't put the book down. I actually left work early as I couldn't wait to return to the story!! I laughed out loud with them and like Kathy, cried for them too.

I just have one question that's been bugging me from the first chapter of the book. Perhaps, since it was a dream sequence, it was just "filler" so to speak, but what significance was there in Grace holding the stuffed foxhound in her dream about the shooting?

Congratulations on your growing family, your studies and your career! I can't wait to read your next book and any/all that follow!! All my best to you and thank you for this wonderful experience!

Terrie

Message Edited by Terrie on 01-23-2008 06:40 PM
Carpe Diem!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

KateMorton wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Hi Ms. Morton,

Kate

When you write it, don't forget to give a nod to LyndaSue, I think she would deserve and love that, dont you? :smileywink:

Oh my goodness, wouldn't that be amazing! Mmmmmm, how 'bout this: The nanny, Lynda Sue Brown, was dusting Raverly for the tenth time this week, on orders of the mistress of the house, when suddenly from behind the locked attic door............
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

KateMorton wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Hi Ms. Morton,

Kate

Oh my goodness, wouldn't that be amazing! Mmmmmm, how 'bout this: The nanny, Lynda Sue Brown, was dusting Raverly for the tenth time this week, on orders of the mistress of the house, when suddenly from behind the locked attic door............

LOLLOL, now here I am trying to get you an acknowledgement in on that one Lynda and your writing yourself into the book! LOL! Hey why not, Lynda Sue sounds southern lol. too cute! :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
KathyS
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

KateMorton wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Hi Ms. Morton,

Kate

LyndaSue Brown...dusting him? Nah, I think he's been dusted enough....you'd probably be trying to pet and feed the poor stuffed Raverly, Kibbles and Bits! And as far as behind the locked attic door...Raverly's salaciously secret, stuffed - silent mistresshound lurks! Another one for the BOOKS!

K.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

KateMorton wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Hi Ms. Morton,

Kate

LyndaSue Brown...dusting him? Nah, I think he's been dusted enough....you'd probably be trying to pet and feed the poor stuffed Raverly, Kibbles and Bits! And as far as behind the locked attic door...Raverly's salaciously secret, stuffed - silent mistresshound lurks! Another one for the BOOKS!

K.

yeah but if this is a prequel guys, wouldnt we go back far enough with Nanny that Raverly would still be alive? lol , maybe even a puppy?? After all, Nanny has to have a lot of history before this too. :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Re: for the Author

Kathy wrote: "Dear Kate,
There have been so many times in which I've said to an author, you leave me speechless. Of course, that never happens, I always find something to say to them. Today, I'm not just speechless, I'm taken so deeply, it's hard to contain what it is I feel.

I've spent this day reading the second, and final half of your novel, and I've cried through most of it. You have painted, literally, a landscape I never imagined. You are a true artist.

Your words, to put it simply, transported me into another place. I'm in awe of your ability to take each and every one of these characters, and bring them to life..... The poetry, the lyrical verse, I found myself not just hearing these words, but feeling these voices you have given to them. It's a true and utter love story.

I was lifted by these characters I grew to love, then plunged into the depths of their deaths. The abruptness, then the caring.....The roller coaster ride was certainly an emotional trip for me, today."

Kathy, I know this was for Ms. Morton, but I just wanted to say that you summed up my feelings nicely. Like you, I cried in the second half of the book...I guess it is the romantic in me...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
KathyS
0 Kudos

Paula,
I'll gladly share my feelings with anyone who wants them. I'm glad they echoed yours.

I think the reason for my own sadness, within this second half, was because of the feeling I was having of getting closer to the characters - a faster pace was set up within the writing....and knowing these characters' lives were going to have to end, soon.

The unusual part is, most novels aren't written where you live this close to so many lives. Here, you walked with them; grew up with them; listened to them talk to one another; you sat with them; had tea with them; eaves dropped with them....felt their grief; and heard their inner voice..... They were truly written in a way that you lived WITHin them.

Credit is due the author, because it takes a lot of talent to write/give a character this voice; the way in which the sentences were constructed, as I said, in the lyrical fashion; poetically halting; I believe this is what infused them to life.

As I read that second half straight through, with minor pauses, taking a breath only to wipe my eyes, and blow my nose, I found a cadence until I was saturated. Now you know MY secrets! Whether we are romantics, or not, we must have heard the same voice! :smileyhappy:

Kathy S.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Kate

I apologize for my digression Ms. Morton, just getting a bit silly after a long day. But you are so right, Nanny Brown is a storehouse of information and I was even anticipating her revealing a little of that info during Riverton.

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 01-24-2008 03:32 AM

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 01-24-2008 03:33 AM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
ploabhawes
0 Kudos

Hello Kate~

I just wanted to wish you a huge (much belated) welcome to our large group!! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to chat with us. I really enjoyed your book and I feel lucky to have been included in this ARC group. I haven't had a chance to get through all the posts on this thread so forgive me if I repeat what someone has already commented on......where did you get your inspiration for your characters? Personal experience, favorite books/movies or a mixture of both, or none, right? :smileyhappy: I have to tell you that out of all of your characters, I really felt for Frederick. I really wanted to hear his side of the story because it seemed he led such a privleged yet challenging and solitary life. While you did such a wonderful job making us all envision many of your characters so deeply, once again Frederick was in the background just like his family treated him. Wonderfully done but I can't help but wonder about his story.

This might be a strange question but when you sought out to write your book, what were your goals with The House of Riverton? What did you want the reader to feel and be left with when they finished? For me, each day I looked forward to getting the chance to sit and get back to reading to see where all the chracters were and how they were doing.... :smileyhappy: You truly brought them to life with much feeling!

I wish you the best of luck with your future writings and I truly appreciate having the chance to interact with you on these boards.
Lisa
Contributor
hcwhitman
0 Kudos

Kate,

I LOVED your book. Really loved it. Especially the luxurious, lavish adjectives that you control so beautifully. This book was a delightful treat!

Just a few questions:
1. Did Frederick visit Grace's mother during all those years, since he seemed to never stop loving her? (He did show up at the funeral).
2. Did Frederick fall in love with Grace's mother as a teenager? It appears he was married when Grace was conceived, so he must have loved her for many years before this happened.
3. Why didn't Hannah just throw the gun in the lake and grab Robbie and run off with him, rather than shoot him? As much as she loved him, I cannot imagine her shooting him, just as I cannot imagine her shooting her sister or allowing him to shoot her.
4. When did Teddy get involved with the Germans?
5. What other books have you written? Do you have any others currently in the works?

Can't wait to see what else you come up with!
Author
KateMorton
0 Kudos

Terrie wrote:
Dear Kate,

I want to thank you for the wonderful book! It will now hold a place amongst my favorites!

I love learning about the "upstairs/downstairs" culture and am drawn to those stories, as well as narratives written from the perspective of someone who has lived the story. As you had hoped, I was completely drawn into the story; the characters were very real and I couldn't put the book down. I actually left work early as I couldn't wait to return to the story!! I laughed out loud with them and like Kathy, cried for them too.

I just have one question that's been bugging me from the first chapter of the book. Perhaps, since it was a dream sequence, it was just "filler" so to speak, but what significance was there in Grace holding the stuffed foxhound in her dream about the shooting?

Congratulations on your growing family, your studies and your career! I can't wait to read your next book and any/all that follow!! All my best to you and thank you for this wonderful experience!

Terrie

Message Edited by Terrie on 01-23-2008 06:40 PM

Hi Terrie,
Isn't that one of the absolute best feelings, when you're so involved with the world of a book that it calls you back from your 'real' life and you just can't resist? Whenever I meet people who don't read (!?) I think how awful it would be never to feel that pull back to the page. I'm so delighted that Riverton made you feel that way!!

As to your question, I wanted to give Grace a dream that could be interpreted to reflect aspects of her story, but that wasn't too literal. Ostensibly the dream is about the events on the lake bank, and Grace's guilt over the part she played (hence the blood on her hands). The dead body of the foxhound represents Robbie's death, of course, but also Hannah's 'death' insofar as the events of that night are a trigger for H to close herself off from Grace. I wanted other random elements from the past to colour the dream, though, to give it that slightly mad feeling that dreams often have. Hence Raverley, whose lifeless body so disturbed Grace when she first started at Riverton, gets to make an appearance.
Kate

Author
KateMorton
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

KateMorton wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Hi Ms. Morton,

Kate

K.

lol... you're doing a good job writing it for me!
Kate

Author
KateMorton
0 Kudos

paula_02912 wrote:
Kathy wrote: "Dear Kate,
There have been so many times in which I've said to an author, you leave me speechless. Of course, that never happens, I always find something to say to them. Today, I'm not just speechless, I'm taken so deeply, it's hard to contain what it is I feel.

I've spent this day reading the second, and final half of your novel, and I've cried through most of it. You have painted, literally, a landscape I never imagined. You are a true artist.

Your words, to put it simply, transported me into another place. I'm in awe of your ability to take each and every one of these characters, and bring them to life..... The poetry, the lyrical verse, I found myself not just hearing these words, but feeling these voices you have given to them. It's a true and utter love story.

I was lifted by these characters I grew to love, then plunged into the depths of their deaths. The abruptness, then the caring.....The roller coaster ride was certainly an emotional trip for me, today."

Kathy, I know this was for Ms. Morton, but I just wanted to say that you summed up my feelings nicely. Like you, I cried in the second half of the book...I guess it is the romantic in me...

Hi Paula,
I'm so glad you enjoyed Riverton! And awful though it sounds, I love hearing that Grace's story brought you to tears. It never ceases to amaze me, the power of books: really they're just pages and pages of black marks on a white page and yet, as readers, we create a world in our mind real enough to make us laugh and cry and feel.
Kate

Author
KateMorton
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Kate

I apologize for my digression Ms. Morton, just getting a bit silly after a long day. But you are so right, Nanny Brown is a storehouse of information and I was even anticipating her revealing a little of that info during Riverton.

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 01-24-2008 03:32 AM

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 01-24-2008 03:33 AM

It was a most enjoyable digression!
Kate

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Ms. Morton: Some of us in another thread were discussing our feeling that the male characters were not as finely drawn as the female characters. While Grace, Hannah, and Emmeline emerged as vibrant, well known individuals, David, Robbie, Frederick, and the other male characters were less distinct.

Is this a comment that you think is fair, or do you feel that the male characters were drawn as clearly as the female?

If you agree that the male characters are not as clear, was this intentional (perhaps because Grace had so much more interaction with Hannah and Emmeline and so would know them better), or is it because you don't write male characters quite as well as you write female characters?
0 Kudos

Kate-

Thank you so much for sharing your book with us. It is a great read. I haven't been very active on the discussion threads this go round because I have been overwhelmed by the volume of postings. Even so, I did not want this "First Look" to end without taking the time to compliment you on your creative gift. I look forward to reading many more of your books in the future.

Beth
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing in this discussion and it has been a wonderful opportunity to read your comments. I not only enjoyed your book,I really liked it. I will recommend it to my friends and family. You are a good, strong writer and I look forward to reading your next book. Thank you.
CAG
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 868 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: