Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

Re: See the covers of all the different editions

I really like the American Hardcover one.
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Inspired Contributor
Linda10
0 Kudos

I am one of those people who could buy a book just based on the cover. I think publishers realize how important a cover is too. Some book covers are almost pieces of artwork.

That being said, I would have to vote for either the American or the British hard cover (the staircase or the English garden.) I also vote for seeing what the back cover looks like where the staircase wraps around. How fun!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thank you, thank you, for posting these jacket covers, Maria, you've made my day! Since I'm an artist, I've always had thoughts on every jacket cover of a novel I've read. I've loved it when the artists can come on board to present their own points of views. And I always love the author to give their point of view, also. We did have the artist come to the boards, on MoT, and talk about her thoughts on her cover, it means a lot to me.

On one of the discussions I was on, we had an author contact the man that did the actual lettering for her book... It was so phenomenal to have all of these aspects revealed, which isn't the norm, usually.

This American jacket is what I'm leaning towards. I still haven't read the whole novel, but the American cover has so much to say, not just a garden, or face to wonder about.

The picture of this lady, is probably my least favorite, mainly because I don't like pictures of someone on the cover...it says something that has really no relevance to the story line....just someone you wonder about..."who is this lady?"....

One of the things I make, within my art, is ceramic bookends for authors...these are representational of an artist, the author....it also represents the story as an artist unfolds their story to a reader. Everything has a story, and jackets, as well as my bookends, have a story to tell, and to uncover that process is what an artist lives to see in other art work.

P.S. I'd love to design book jackets!
Thank you, again.
Kathy S.

Maria_H wrote:
Since Kate will be joining us next week, we thought you might enjoy comparing the covers for each of the book's editions.

American Hardcover

Message Edited by KathyS on 01-11-2008 11:04 PM
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: BOOK ART

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:
Very interesting Maria...I guess I am a traditionalist because I liked the British version..would be nice to see the wraparound of the staircase on the back cover. Thank you for posting these for us to compare.

Regards,

Bentley

Hi there Bentley.
I was thinking, the book takes place in England, but its actually an Australian book, so which would be the traditional version. hmm.

I guess I looked at the setting of the novel..traditional English garden setting possibly. And I think the British cover was more of a traditionalist approach to the cover though the American one was quite innovative. How are you doing vivico..glad to see you here.

Bentley

Doing pretty good Bentley, I have to go in Thurs the 17th for sinus surgery and stay over night because I have bad reactions to anesthesia. That and all EIGHT of my sinus are clogged and cant drain even after 4 months of antibiotics and steroids. I didn't even know there were 8 sinuses. So two different procedures but they are going to do both at one time. Fun fun. You guys will have to keep up for me when the author comes, I am not sure when I will be back on the boards or how I will be feeling or seeing for a bit. Doc says this is not a real fast recovery one. First 3 weeks he said you wont think we did anything to help but maybe made you worse, then wont be until 3 months that you really feel yourself again. All I know is I want to breath again and not be exhausted! anyway, enough about my whining lol. Yeah I saw you and Librarian on some of the threads and meant to say hi earlier. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bentley wrote:

Bonnie824 wrote:
I like the Australian one best. It fits the tone to me. I wonder if the woman is suppose to be Grace?

Yes, the Australian one also interested me (it was my second choice after the British one)..I even liked the title better. But everyone will have their preferences I am sure. I too thought that this must be "Grace".

Bentley

the woman on the Australian one made me think of a 1930s-50s movie star or something.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 01-11-2008 10:40 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: American, front and back?

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
Hey Maria, the publishers said they really liked this American version, so do I, and they said it wraps around to the back to an open room, I think? Do you have a picture of the back of the American one? I would love to see what they mean. Thats cool that you posted these here! :smileyhappy:

Wow! And here we are trying to decipher what the reader's book cover meant. We have alot of them to decipher. You know, Kate might not of had anything to do with the covers. Sometimes writers do not, the publisher does. But I like the american one also the best.

Hey on the Templeton book, one of the longest threads was devoted to everyones thoughts of the cover and if you think we can pick a chapter apart you should have seen some of the picking apart of every nuance of that cover LOL. I hated it personally LOL. These I like. But the British one, the legend of sleepy hollow one, just doesnt work for me. The other british one is ok. I just like the sharpness of the American one, the type of the title and her name and the colors, the stairs, the half picture and everything. Very nice.
Vivian
Contributor
pousterj
0 Kudos

Thanks for showing all the covers. I have to say that I like the British hard cover best. I think it captures what I have in my mind as to what Riverton look like.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

If I were the art director offered those choices I would go with the American hardback, hands down.
0 Kudos

Thanks for showing all the covers. I have to say that I like the British hard cover best. I think it captures what I have in my mind as to what Riverton look like.
Jamie
Frequent Contributor
ploabhawes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
How lovely!! Thanks for sharing the different covers. I also prefer the American and British hardcover versions. I am a "cover" book picker alot of the times and these both made you want to wander further either up the staircase or through the gate. I found the Australian one thought provoking due to it's title, The Shifting Fog. I am wondering if the fog is just an illusion or if it somehow plays a part in the book.

Lisa

Message Edited by ploabhawes on 01-11-2008 11:57 PM
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

I love seeing the different covers. I find all of them interesting but I like the American version best. The flower gardens are pretty but they are so generic to me. The cover with the staircase has such striking colors and catches my eye quicker. I too really enjoy looking at covers and an interesting one will get my attention and draw me to a book I might not have payed attention to otherwise.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:
Very interesting Maria...I guess I am a traditionalist because I liked the British version..would be nice to see the wraparound of the staircase on the back cover. Thank you for posting these for us to compare.

Regards,

Bentley

Hi there Bentley.
I was thinking, the book takes place in England, but its actually an Australian book, so which would be the traditional version. hmm.

I guess I looked at the setting of the novel..traditional English garden setting possibly. And I think the British cover was more of a traditionalist approach to the cover though the American one was quite innovative. How are you doing vivico..glad to see you here.

Bentley

Doing pretty good Bentley, I have to go in Thurs the 17th for sinus surgery and stay over night because I have bad reactions to anesthesia. That and all EIGHT of my sinus are clogged and cant drain even after 4 months of antibiotics and steroids. I didn't even know there were 8 sinuses. So two different procedures but they are going to do both at one time. Fun fun. You guys will have to keep up for me when the author comes, I am not sure when I will be back on the boards or how I will be feeling or seeing for a bit. Doc says this is not a real fast recovery one. First 3 weeks he said you wont think we did anything to help but maybe made you worse, then wont be until 3 months that you really feel yourself again. All I know is I want to breath again and not be exhausted! anyway, enough about my whining lol. Yeah I saw you and Librarian on some of the threads and meant to say hi earlier. :smileywink:

Sorry for your troubles but hopefully soon you will get rid of the sinus infections and headaches. Take care of yourself and we will look forward to your return when you are up to it.

Bentley
Contributor
jabrke
0 Kudos

I also like the American Hardcover the best.
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

CanTri wrote:
I liked the Australian and American covers the best. I thought the face on the Australian cover was Emmeline as it looks like a pose from a movie poster and she was the movie star.

Emmeline would make sense. I guess I was thinking Grace because of her expression. I see (finished section 3 so far) Emmeline as kind of light, and at this point, Grace as capable of being sly.
Contributor
takannie
0 Kudos

I prefer the British hardcover cover. I feel like I'm drawn into an English estate, particularly the gardens.
Contributor
takannie
0 Kudos

A complaint -- why do publishers feel it necessary to change the title of a book for publication in another country? I know there's the reasoning of trying to appeal to the quirks of that country's reading public but I personally find it disturbing, especially when I think I've found a new book by an author I love and it turns out to be the same book, different title.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

takannie wrote:
A complaint -- why do publishers feel it necessary to change the title of a book for publication in another country? I know there's the reasoning of trying to appeal to the quirks of that country's reading public but I personally find it disturbing, especially when I think I've found a new book by an author I love and it turns out to be the same book, different title.

That would be a good question to ask the publishers on that thread or the author when she gets here but I bet the publishers could better say. I am not looking at the main threads from here, so cant remember the exact name of the thread, but if you ask them, I would love to know the answer myself. :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
bookhunter
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

goingeast wrote:
Isn't that a photo of the actress Miriam Hopkins on the Australian cover? Why would they use a picture of someone not mainstream? Don't get me wrong, I think Miriam Hopkins was one of the best actresses ever, it's just that not too many people remember who she was. I really like the idea of a face of a girl on the cover of this story. She could be any of the three main characters in HAR. Miriam would have been a good choice too.

That is a good question to ask the author? Yes, you are right...it could be a picture of any of the three characters. Very interesting. Thanks goingeast. Hopkins was an actress who did a lot of films in the 30s wasn't she? I looked her up and wasn't sure that it looked like the photos I saw but there was a resemblance.

Bentley

This cover made me think "movie star" which hints to the story being about the making of a movie. But I doubt Miss Keira whoever looked anything like this when she visited Grace!

Ann, bookhunter
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

The British cover is the one that would make me pick it up and buy it.
Yvonne
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Hi------I'm leaning toward the British hardcover cover choice. It promises intrigue especially with the words----"Within its four walls lay a secret that would last a lifetime"---right on the front cover.

Viv, I hope all goes well for you with the surgery. I've been enjoying your insightful posts.
Librarian
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 581 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: