Reply
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
Posts: 791
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

See the covers of all the different editions

Since Kate will be joining us next week, we thought you might enjoy comparing the covers for each of the book's editions.

American Hardcover

Title: American Hardcover



Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!


Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
Posts: 791
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: See the covers of all the different editions

Australian Hardcover

Title: Australian Hardcover



Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!


Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
Posts: 791
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: See the covers of all the different editions

[ Edited ]

British Paperback

Title: British Hardcover

Message Edited by Maria_H on 01-17-2008 09:10 AM



Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!


Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
Posts: 791
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: See the covers of all the different editions

[ Edited ]

This cover does not exist. It was a concept cover that never made it to press. Scroll up for the British paperback cover.

Title: British Paperback Concept

Message Edited by Maria_H on 01-17-2008 09:13 AM



Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!


Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
Posts: 791
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: See the covers of all the different editions

American Advance Reading Copy

Title: American Advance Reading Copy



Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!


Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

American, front and back?

Hey Maria, the publishers said they really liked this American version, so do I, and they said it wraps around to the back to an open room, I think? Do you have a picture of the back of the American one? I would love to see what they mean. Thats cool that you posted these here! :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

BOOK ART

Very interesting Maria...I guess I am a traditionalist because I liked the British version..would be nice to see the wraparound of the staircase on the back cover. Thank you for posting these for us to compare.

Regards,

Bentley
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
Posts: 1,735
Registered: ‎11-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: See the covers of all the different editions

Maria thank you for posting these covers! I love the American version the best.... what a great comparison!!

Thank you very much!!!
IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: BOOK ART


bentley wrote:
Very interesting Maria...I guess I am a traditionalist because I liked the British version..would be nice to see the wraparound of the staircase on the back cover. Thank you for posting these for us to compare.

Regards,

Bentley


Hi there Bentley.
I was thinking, the book takes place in England, but its actually an Australian book, so which would be the traditional version. hmm.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
LucNesbitt
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: See the covers of all the different editions

I have to say I like the American version the best. Knowing as we do now the rationale behind it, it seems to fit the book better somehow.
Frequent Contributor
psujulie
Posts: 52
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: See the covers of all the different editions

I like the American cover too. It seems like a staircase is an appropriate symbol given the distinction (sometimes blurred) of the family and the servants.
http://bookingmama.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
Posts: 951
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: See the covers of all the different editions

I like the Australian one best. It fits the tone to me. I wonder if the woman is suppose to be Grace?
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: BOOK ART



vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:
Very interesting Maria...I guess I am a traditionalist because I liked the British version..would be nice to see the wraparound of the staircase on the back cover. Thank you for posting these for us to compare.

Regards,

Bentley


Hi there Bentley.
I was thinking, the book takes place in England, but its actually an Australian book, so which would be the traditional version. hmm.




I guess I looked at the setting of the novel..traditional English garden setting possibly. And I think the British cover was more of a traditionalist approach to the cover though the American one was quite innovative. How are you doing vivico..glad to see you here.

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: See the covers of all the different editions



Bonnie824 wrote:
I like the Australian one best. It fits the tone to me. I wonder if the woman is suppose to be Grace?




Yes, the Australian one also interested me (it was my second choice after the British one)..I even liked the title better. But everyone will have their preferences I am sure. I too thought that this must be "Grace".

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

BOOK ART

[ Edited ]
Maria, is it possible to post the back cover of the American version? Thanks so much for these extras (very interesting).

Message Edited by bentley on 01-11-2008 06:21 PM
Frequent Contributor
CanTri
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: BOOK ART

I liked the Australian and American covers the best. I thought the face on the Australian cover was Emmeline as it looks like a pose from a movie poster and she was the movie star.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: American, front and back?



vivico1 wrote:
Hey Maria, the publishers said they really liked this American version, so do I, and they said it wraps around to the back to an open room, I think? Do you have a picture of the back of the American one? I would love to see what they mean. Thats cool that you posted these here! :smileyhappy:




Wow! And here we are trying to decipher what the reader's book cover meant. We have alot of them to decipher. You know, Kate might not of had anything to do with the covers. Sometimes writers do not, the publisher does. But I like the american one also the best.
Inspired Contributor
goingeast
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎01-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: BOOK ART

Isn't that a photo of the actress Miriam Hopkins on the Australian cover? Why would they use a picture of someone not mainstream? Don't get me wrong, I think Miriam Hopkins was one of the best actresses ever, it's just that not too many people remember who she was. I really like the idea of a face of a girl on the cover of this story. She could be any of the three main characters in HAR. Miriam would have been a good choice too.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: BOOK ART



goingeast wrote:
Isn't that a photo of the actress Miriam Hopkins on the Australian cover? Why would they use a picture of someone not mainstream? Don't get me wrong, I think Miriam Hopkins was one of the best actresses ever, it's just that not too many people remember who she was. I really like the idea of a face of a girl on the cover of this story. She could be any of the three main characters in HAR. Miriam would have been a good choice too.




That is a good question to ask the author? Yes, you are right...it could be a picture of any of the three characters. Very interesting. Thanks goingeast. Hopkins was an actress who did a lot of films in the 30s wasn't she? I looked her up and wasn't sure that it looked like the photos I saw but there was a resemblance.

Bentley
Correspondent
HannibalCat
Posts: 238
Registered: ‎10-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: See the covers of all the different editions

The American Hardcover version is the one I like the best. It seems to give off an air of history and splendor. I would be taken with that cover if I saw it on a shelf. Good design.
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 431 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: