Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: THEMES: War and Progress - SPOILERS : 'Societal gain'

[ Edited ]
I apologise. I did not mean to be impolite etc. I was just trying to explain that I wasn't just 'coming from nowhere' on this particular subject, since you had taken the trouble to go into so much detail and I had noted that you had listed your PhD in History in your Profile. I agree that being 'educated' does not necessarily mean anything, nor are academic qualifications necessarily relevant. As mine were taken some 35 years ago they are probably totally irrelevant in this day and age.

(PSE is Politics, Social Science and Economics and yes, LSE is the London School of Economics.)

Iulievich wrote:

Choisya wrote:
I am sorry you do not approve of the way that I, as an elderly Englishwoman and a lifelong student of both politics and British social history (MA in PSE at the LSE), answered the above questions posted by the Moderator. I nevertheless expressed views which are commonly held and taught over here.

I have always been taught that it is impolite, unwise, and irrelevant to cite one's academic credentials as evidence for the authority of one's statements. Impolite for obvious reasons, unwise because you risk understimating the credentials of the person to whom you cite them, and irrelevant because being "educated" does not mean that one has learned anything, only that he has been told something.

My own dissertation professor had his Ph.D. from a world-renowned university that will go nameless for now. He often told me that most of the fools he had known during his life had Ph.D.'s from that university. Perhaps it was just the company that he kept.:smileywink: I am confident that such is absolutely not the case for those who hold Master of Arts in (I am guessing) Political Science and Economics from (I am assuming) The London School of Economics. Although I must admit that one of the sloppiest professors of German history that I ever studied under had spent four years teaching at that particular LSE before coming to our institution.

As to the views "commonly held and taught:"
1. In this country "commonly held and taught" means, with distressing regularity, "dead wrong," particularly in the presence of any sort of political agenda. Not that there are not elements of truth in it. It has often been observed quite accurately that for a heresy to survive it must contain a significant element of truth. But, as an old Jewish saying would put it, "A half truth is still a whole lie."

2. I am terribly disillusioned to find the teaching of history in Great Britain to have sunk to levels similar to those "enjoyed" in this country.

I suppose that, in the end, we will indeed have to agree to disagree -- if onlly because ...
1. We have strayed too far from the subject at hand. We were discussing, I believe, a book of fiction.
2. It is really rather wearying.
Perhaps if I am back in London, we can meet and "make up" over a pint. There used to be a nice pub that served White Horse just next door (or very near) to the LSE bookstore.

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-15-2008 05:04 PM
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Re: THEMES: War and Progress

KxBurns wrote:
THEMES threads are for open discussion of themes throughout the entirety of the book. If you're worried about stumbling across spoilers, read no further!

Wars – World War I and II – act as a catalyst for change, both societal and personal, in The House at Riverton. How does war specifically impact the characters in this novel? Do you perceive a gender difference in how the war affects the lives of the characters?

Does the societal gain justify the collateral damage of war, in your opinion? Which characters do you think would agree/disagree with you?

In a greater historical context, how crucial are changing times and values to the course of this narrative?

Karen

My mother was Scottish and grew up during WW-II- her dad was at war for 6 years. When he got back, people were trying to get back to normal. The women left their jobs mostly and the men took them back. Many were damaged emotionally and/or physically and they had children they didn't know. I think overall the war may have improved women's positions in life, and their confidence in their own abilities.

But,the fact of them fighting and dying (Britain and it's allies) in itself, for people they didn't know being killed, tortured, imprisoned, shows (to me) that the changes were already coming about. The men who fought for victims, the women who went to work and ran a country, they were already "made" and strong inside from something.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Bonnie824 wrote:

KxBurns wrote:
THEMES threads are for open discussion of themes throughout the entirety of the book. If you're worried about stumbling across spoilers, read no further!

Wars – World War I and II – act as a catalyst for change, both societal and personal, in The House at Riverton. How does war specifically impact the characters in this novel? Do you perceive a gender difference in how the war affects the lives of the characters?

Does the societal gain justify the collateral damage of war, in your opinion? Which characters do you think would agree/disagree with you?

In a greater historical context, how crucial are changing times and values to the course of this narrative?

Karen

My mother was Scottish and grew up during WW-II- her dad was at war for 6 years. When he got back, people were trying to get back to normal. The women left their jobs mostly and the men took them back. Many were damaged emotionally and/or physically and they had children they didn't know. I think overall the war may have improved women's positions in life, and their confidence in their own abilities.

But,the fact of them fighting and dying (Britain and it's allies) in itself, for people they didn't know being killed, tortured, imprisoned, shows (to me) that the changes were already coming about. The men who fought for victims, the women who went to work and ran a country, they were already "made" and strong inside from something.

I agree Bonnie; they were made of sterner stuff and I can say that all of us can be thankful that they were so gallant and they were definately as fine a generation that we have ever had and may ever see again. They really looked beyond themselves and their own interests.

Hats off to your parents and so many more like them.

Bentley
3M
Contributor
3M
0 Kudos

They are everything! The effects of the war and the change it brought were monumental. There wouldn't have been this particular story without it.
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 199 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: