Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

Re: Your reviews of The House at Riverton -- should not contain spoilers

[ Edited ]
5 Stars for The House at Riverton. Absolutely Riveting. This book drew me in at the first sentence and intrigued me throughout. The story unfolded beautifully. Superb writing coupled with an excellent story line is a recipe for one great book. Definitely a must read! I would also recommend The Thirteenth Tale and Water for Elephants. Both, like The House at Riverton, have an elderly narrator revealing interesting secrets from their past.

Message Edited by Popper19 on 01-13-2008 08:08 PM
Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
0 Kudos

WOW!!!

[ Edited ]
I give the book five stars..it is such a wonderful book full of mystery and revelations. It is a great book that captures your attention right off the bat and holds you spellbound until you have read the last page. It left me with the statement of Wow...

Other books I recommend would be "Daughter of the Stars" and "The Thirteenth Tale" Both contain wonderful mysteries that leave you with the same sense as the end of this one.

Message Edited by hpthatbme on 01-13-2008 10:27 PM
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
A Great Read!

I give this book four stars. "The House at Riverton" is an engrossing novel full of secrets and mystery. I would call it unputdownable. The secrets which make it interesting and complex also move this novel along in a fast paced manner. I will continue to think about it for a long time.
Other books that I would recommend are "Rebecca" by Daphne Du Maurier and "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield.

Message Edited by CAG on 01-14-2008 10:42 AM
CAG
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

There could be no other than five stars for this novel. It was a remarkable read. I love novels with following the character through his life beginning with the end of his life. You know basically you are going to hear what happened from start to finish with this character. And it was filled with so much suspense,drama,love and deception. It was a real book about real life. I loved it. Linda
Contributor
jforever52
0 Kudos

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
4 Stars

Kate Morton's "The House at Riverton" is a spell-binding mystery which delves into the complexities of love, duty, and sense of obligation felt by those living during and after World War One. Just as the 1920's were a period of transition and change, so are the lives of the main characters Grace, the housemaid to Hannah and Emmaline, sister's whose lives will be forever changed by the inexplicable chain of events set in motion by white lies and childhood games.
Riverton is a page turner, ensuring that you are left guessing as to the final events of the book until the very last page. Kate Morton masterfully takes the reader through the shifting fog surrounding the lives of three women until, at last, the fog clears and the final outcome is revealed.

Other books I would recommend: One Big Damn Puzzler by John Harding; The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett; March by Geraldine Brooks
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

A House with Character

[ Edited ]
The House of Riverton - 4 stars

A secret is defined as something kept from knowledge or view. There are many such hidden truths and subterfuges in this novel as there are characters. Each secret sometimes inhibits the characters from being able to move forward in their lives because of the fall-out from their most hidden thoughts, wishes, desires. Deception, white lies, hidden agendas are all tucked away in the walls of this great house called "Riverton" creating distance and mistrust between the characters. The reader enters the world of what life might be like at a 300 year old English manner where misunderstandings and secret agendas have the potential to result in tragedies or intrigue. What a high price this house pays for untruths, deceptions and cunning. Duty, responsibility, commitment, love, family ties, virtue, devotion and respect are values examined whether exhibiting the best in human nature as is often the case or the complete opposite.

Our narrator is Grace Bradley who is 98 years old when the novel opens and it is her narration of the novel that initiates us to a page turning adventure which takes us on a journey throughout almost a century in English history. The reader learns what it was like to be in service to a wealthy family and what it takes to break away and strike out on one's own. Nothing is easy for anyone during the war and the aftermath sends its shockwaves throughout all of the families and countryside. Nobody escaped the war or its impact. All of England was affected. However, Grace only being 14 when she enters service in the Hartford home, has to conquer her own misgivings in order to grow and develop into the caring and accomplished woman that she is to become.

The reader also gets to know the Hartford and the Luxton families and grows to foster feelings of sympathetic understanding or contempt as the novel unfolds.

The novel was a page turner. It kept me engrossed, entertained and guessing until the very end. I would recommend The House of Riverton to anyone who likes historical novels, especially those set in the British Empire.

The author Kate Morton also recommends other books where there is "the haunting of the present by the past" or as Kate puts it "the insistence of family secrets. A couple of these are THE CHATHAM SCHOOL AFFAIR by Thomas H. Cook and POSSESSION by A.S Byatt.

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 01-16-2008 07:28 AM
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

Memories of the Past

4 stars

The House at Riverton was an amazing book to read. The book is written from the viewpoint of the memories of a 98-year-old woman named, Grace. Starting from a 14-year-old maid, we see how her life progresses and how the people around her effect her life (and theirs). I enjoyed the flashing back and forth between real time and the past, which pulls you in to her world and doesn't let you put the book down until you come to the last page. Kate Morton, the author, adds together great historical data from the early 1900's, romance and mystery to make a book that will grab hold of all kinds of readers.
Reader
turtles
0 Kudos

I give this book 4 stars. I thought it was fantastic. I love the period of history in which it was written. I find the rules of society during that time intriguing. As as I was reading I was constatnly reminded of the book by Michael Faber entitled The Crimson Petal and the White. The House at Riverton consumed me for 4 days. I would visualize the house and the characters in my mind and couldn't wait for evening to come to pick up and read more.
Contributor
AbbyLynn
0 Kudos

A Fun, Pleasant Read

I was thinking I would give the book three stars, but looking at the guidelines, I would have to say I recommend it, so I'll go with four.

The House at Riverton was fluid and engrossing. While the themes of the book are not new (an elderly person reflecting on a mistake in their past, the never ending debate of whose life is more limited: the rich or the poor), the book retains a quality that makes you want to keep reading. The main characters are well developed - the reader quite easily finds themselves lost in the story. The plot is predictable, and at many points lacks creativity, but the book is fun to read nonetheless. Take it with you next time you're going on vacation and just want to escape the real world for a while.

As a side note, those of us who aren't as sharp on our WWI history could have used more explanation of a some details in the story. I had to look up a number of them.
Contributor
lilfisha
0 Kudos

Enjoyable weekend book

The House at Riverton is an easy book to read. The characters come alive in this highly descriptive book. None of the characters is all bad or all good - just regular people living not so ordinary lives. The book is fairly predictable, but still enjoyable. Kate Morton's writing allows the reader to enter a different time and be a part of it. Her descriptions are so well done that the reader can actually see a room as if he were standing in it himself. I would give this book 4 stars.

lilfisha
Contributor
lrusch
0 Kudos

I agree. Three stars. It is too predictable and too long for what happens. I did like the setting and the plot, but over 400 pages could have included more action.

Helen
Contributor
jabrke
0 Kudos

Re: Predictable, but still a great read!

5 stars!

Great story! A real page turner! I like Ms. Morton's style of writing. I am looking forward to her next book.

I will be recommending this book at my next book club meeting.
Contributor
fictionhound
0 Kudos

4 stars for the house at riverton

engages from the beginning!

the house at riverton pulls you into the story from the very first page. i love the flow back & forth from past to present in the telling of the story. i really enjoyed having the novel told from the point of view of an elderly grace reflecting back on her young years. it was amazing to see how the world had changed during her lifetime. the lines blurring between the "upstairs/downstairs" life of the house was an interesting thread. there are many mysteries throughout this novel. some are easier to figure out than others. you will be kept guessing until the very end which does not disappoint. this was a quick read for me since i had to find out what happened all those years ago. happy reading.

books i rec:
emma by jane austen
pride & prejudice by jane austen
garden spells by sarah addison allen
the lord of the rings by tolkien
a visit to highbury/another view of emma by joan austen-leigh
the book thief by markus zusak
jane fairfax by joan aiken
fahrenheit 451 by ray bradbury
Inspired Correspondent
jclay26
0 Kudos

I give this book five stars! I loved the way the book was written but also how it holds the reader's attention throughout. I intentionally set out to read the book slowly and could not put it down.

The little clues dispersed throughout the chapters helped to engage the reader in solving the mysteries while being immersed in the lives of the characters. I loved the way the main character describes the lives of all the other characters through her own eyes. I also loved the stark contrast between the different classes. It was a glimpse into the past and a reminder of how far we have come. There was a lesson built in to the novel about how even the smallest of lies can create mountains of devastation in the future. It also shows the devastating effects of secrets and manipulations and what happens when humans are stifled and unable to be who they really are. There is so much of that happening today and many people are suffering because of it. This book had many messages intertwined into the story line and it was truly enjoyable to read and VERY hard to put down. The author did an excellent job and I hope there will be a sequel! The book certainly left me wanting more.
What you have to do...is trust your own story. Get the hell out of the way and let it tell itself. - Tim O'Brien; The Things They Carried
Contributor
pousterj
0 Kudos

I give the House at Riverton a five star! Great book! It was so easy to become a part of the story and for me that is the sign of a very good book. Well written and gives a very good conclusion. I really liked how it ended! Even a bit surprised which always make me like a book even more!
Frequent Contributor
ezraSid
0 Kudos

Re: Your reviews of The House at Riverton -- may contain spoilers

I would give this book 4 stars. It was mesmerizing and drew you into what life would be like during the period. I was drawn in as the story developed and had a hard time putting the book down. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
~Grace~
Contributor
Margaret42
0 Kudos

4 stars
Reading this book was like unravelling a ball of yarn; once you start, you cannot stop. The setting, the characters, and the attention to detail were fabulous.
Other good books are Fault Lines by Nancy Huston, and The Other Boleyn sister by Philippa Gregory.
Margaret42
m a r g a r e t~
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

4 stars
The House at Riverton
Grace has led an amazingly full life. Born in 1900 she now looks back on over 90 years of life, love, death, loss, lies, choices, successes, and failures. The reminiscences begin with a letter asking her input on a movie being made about the family for whom she worked as a servant starting in 1914. Now at the end of her life, Grace is willing to tell the true story of the death of a young poet at the family estate in 1924. It is a story that has never been told, and Grace is the only person alive who knows the truth.

Kate Morton is a born storyteller, her characters are well thought out and the locales are vividly drawn. I couldn't wait to finish the book to figure out what really happened, and you won't really know the true story until the last chapter.

I highly recommend The House at Riverton by Kate Morton.

email - tarri30@hotmail.com

Other recently read books I would recommend include; Atonement, The Red Tent, P.S. I Love You, Stolen Lives, The Memory of Running, The Blessing Stone, A Blessed Event, But Inside I'm Screaming
SJ
Contributor
SJ
0 Kudos

FOUR STARS !!!!
You are given the essential pieces early in the book, you realize this and find yourself unable to stop turning the pages. Every page gets you closer to the answer. You find your feelings for the characters changing and you begin to consider a different ending. The novel takes you from past to present with several temporary loose ends that you will immediately try to tie up in your mind. The ending you create in your mind will change several times before you turn the last page. A great read that also brings a society's tolerance and change into consideration.

Recommended The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier and The Luncheon of the Boating Party by Pierre-Auguste Renoir.
Reader 2
eightcatz
0 Kudos

I must give The House at Riverton 5 stars. I really loved this book. It grabbed me and held on from start to finish. While some of the plot developments were predictable early on, the ending took me very much by surprise. I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 332 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: